Things to do to get my 98 Cobra back running again after sitting 4 years?

4.6+5.0

Established Member
Since I got my 2011 GT the cobra has been sitting and I'd like to get her moving again. What steps and things to check to make sure she starts up without any issues? A co-worker advised checking the gas tank and if I had synthetic oil that the oil should be ok but I'm not sure about that. Thank you for any advice!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Nothing too specific or out of the ordinary, really. I'm betting you could toss a battery in the car and it would start.

People may disagree with me but I'm the type that I would do some of the cheap maintenance/tune up type stuff first before attempting to start it. Fuel filter and oil change, new air filter, jack it up and check the general condition of all of the fuel lines and brakes/brake lines, general condition of the tires, charge the battery.

How much fuel is in the tank? If there is quite a bit in the tank I'd start it up on the old gas and run it to empty before putting fresh in, otherwise if its pretty empty I'd just mix fresh in and go. Wouldn't personally mess with trying to drain the tank. Either way, I'd be changing the plugs after the first tank of gas was run through.

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Nothing too specific or out of the ordinary, really. I'm betting you could toss a battery in the car and it would start.

People may disagree with me but I'm the type that I would do some of the cheap maintenance/tune up type stuff first before attempting to start it. Fuel filter and oil change, new air filter, jack it up and check the general condition of all of the fuel lines and brakes/brake lines, general condition of the tires, charge the battery.

How much fuel is in the tank? If there is quite a bit in the tank I'd start it up on the old gas and run it to empty before putting fresh in, otherwise if its pretty empty I'd just mix fresh in and go. Wouldn't personally mess with trying to drain the tank. Either way, I'd be changing the plugs after the first tank of gas was run through.

Agreed!

4.6+5.0

Established Member
So cleaning that tank isn't required? I had someone at work tell me that gas will separate and have water in there and possibly hydro lock the engine if I tried to start with the old gas.

Last edited:

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
I would agree with most of what has been said, though, if it were me, I would get the old gas out. I know that 8 year old gas resembles something more akin to turpentine...perhaps 4 years is not long enough for the transformation to be noticeable...

I'd just remove the fuel filter and supply power to the fuel pump and let it empty the tank. At least I would on a 96...the 98 fuel pumps are PWM perhaps? Supplying 12V to the pump on a 98 may be a bad idea?

Also, in my half full tank of 8 year old gas, the walls of the tank above the fuel level were impressively rusty, necessitating tank replacement. There was no separated water however, so I would not worry about hydrolock.

If the tank is full then you will probably be in better shape than if it was nearly empty. No permanent damage is likely to happen if you don't drain the tank, but I still would.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
You will be able to tell the condition of the gas when you crack the lines to replace the fuel filter. If it still smells like pure gas, give it a try. If it smells like lacquer or maybe rotten, be best to drop the tank and clean it out. And go ahead and change the oil just for peace of mind.

cbrown9064

Established Member
You will be able to tell the condition of the gas when you crack the lines to replace the fuel filter. If it still smells like pure gas, give it a try. If it smells like lacquer or maybe rotten, be best to drop the tank and clean it out. And go ahead and change the oil just for peace of mind.

This is right on the mark. The gas will have lost some volatility, so don't romp on it until you get new gas in. Gas does not "separate" into gas and water...gas and water don't mix. If there is water in the fuel it will be at the bottom of the tank, and if it gets sucked up will cause a no start, not hydro lock. The injectors don't spray that much liquid!

Users who are viewing this thread