Things you haven’t yet learned as an adult yet.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
If, theoretically speaking, we were to assume I could get past the ADD, you know, if I really, really wanted to? Then, hypothetically it could be said I was perfectly capable of growing wiser. 60, right? GOT to have learned something, in one of those 21,900 days. You can't go around the sun 60 times at 67,000mph+ without learning _something_, right?

But you know what they say: on paper, even Communism sounds good, in theory.
*Stares in ADHD* man, motorboating some titties sounds sushi.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
More or less my entire adult life I was under military control, so certain things I had almost zero choice in. For instance finding a PCP. How would one go about finding a doc that is “cool”? Today I talked to my doc about getting a DNR and it was pretty much “lol nope!” Having had an MI at 35 and subsequent CABG…**** that shit, never again. If I have another MI I just want to go. So how do I find a doc that can understand my perspective?

Anyone else have some shit they still need to learn?
Shop around.

Have a Will stating your wishes and establish a Power of Attorney, who will make these wishes known.

It's not that difficult.

Last edited:

velocicaur

Established Member
I thought about bringing this up to my doc. I am certain that he would not fill out the information. I'm sure he would not sign off on it and would send me to someone else.It goes against almost all modern medicine ethics, code of practice, whatever you want to call it.

I think it will be difficult to get someone to agree with it at a young age without a psych referral, potential therapy, medication, etc.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Couple things about a DNR

1. Have a properly signed copy at any location you spend frequent time at

2. Most of the time the ems crew is gonna respect the dnr unless spouse/children on scene are adamant about cpr.

3. In the absence of a dnr ems will not attempt cpr or will cease efforts if spouse/children on scene are adamant that those are your wishes.

4. Depending on your age and overall health the on call doc might override family wishes in the absence of a dnr.

My advice if you can’t get a dnr from the doc is communicate with your family, let them know how you feel and your wishes. Sometimes just a few minutes delay on calling ems by the family will determine whether cpr is performed or not.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
"DNR goes against modern practice/ethics/code" == "dead people don't provide recurring income for healthcare providers"

I wonder if it's still true that people spend more money on health care in their last 90 days/9months (I can't remember the time frame, I think there was a 9 in there somewhere) than they do the rest of their life combined

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
"DNR goes against modern practice/ethics/code" == "dead people don't provide recurring income for healthcare providers"

I wonder if it's still true that people spend more money on health care in their last 90 days/9months (I can't remember the time frame, I think there was a 9 in there somewhere) than they do the rest of their life combined
Wouldn’t surprise me. Some form of cancer took my aunt out and wiped out my uncle financially. I saw that happen and came to the conclusion that cancer=gonna OD on the good shit.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Shop around.

Have a Will stating your wishes and establish a Power of Attorney, who will make these wishes known.

It's not that difficult.
What I mean is there stuff to look out for? Shit ton of threads here about how to approach a car purchase from either a dealer or private sale i.e., wiring money vs going to a bank etc. That type of info. I have literally never looked for a doctor, I have always been assigned to one. So I don’t know wtf I’m doing.
I thought about bringing this up to my doc. I am certain that he would not fill out the information. I'm sure he would not sign off on it and would send me to someone else.It goes against almost all modern medicine ethics, code of practice, whatever you want to call it.

I think it will be difficult to get someone to agree with it at a young age without a psych referral, potential therapy, medication, etc.
Good thing I have a referral to a psychiatrist then:ROFLMAO: But for real, it is frustrating knowing I have zero control of what medical people do to me.
Couple things about a DNR

1. Have a properly signed copy at any location you spend frequent time at

2. Most of the time the ems crew is gonna respect the dnr unless spouse/children on scene are adamant about cpr.

3. In the absence of a dnr ems will not attempt cpr or will cease efforts if spouse/children on scene are adamant that those are your wishes.

4. Depending on your age and overall health the on call doc might override family wishes in the absence of a dnr.

My advice if you can’t get a dnr from the doc is communicate with your family, let them know how you feel and your wishes. Sometimes just a few minutes delay on calling ems by the family will determine whether cpr is performed or not.
For an EMS crew is having one of those OOH-DNR bracelets sufficient or do you need to see the actual DNR? If EMS is calling back to a doc somewhere is there a system they look at that shows on file OOH-DNRs? Sorry have not completed my research on the subject.

I’ll PM you my address so if you get a call to my house you can let the guys know it’s just bag and go job:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

FJohnny

Established Member
Wishing you the best of both worlds, OP. Hope you get your legal DNR but never have to use it.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
For an EMS crew is having one of those OOH-DNR bracelets sufficient or do you need to see the actual DNR? If EMS is calling back to a doc somewhere is there a system they look at that shows on file OOH-DNRs? Sorry have not completed my research on the subject.

I’ll PM you my address so if you get a call to my house you can let the guys know it’s just bag and go job:ROFLMAO:

Usually we are gonna want to see the document to confirm it has been properly signed. However, having the bracelet on or an unsigned dnr would probably result in us starting cpr while contacting our medical director for guidance.

As far as being able to look up your information in some database to find a dnr that is a negative. With all the hipaa rules there is very little communication between providers which is why a lot of people are able to abuse the system for medications that they might not need.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I’m absolutely horrible at tying knots.

Double knot shoe-laces? Not for me.
Tie up some fancy boy scout knot? Nope.
Tie a boat up to a dock/pier? Probably not a good idea if you want it to stay there.

Me too - lol.

You guys that served probably recognize this one my son said to me, "Keep tying Dad. If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot".

Users who are viewing this thread