think i broke a half shaft

oxw01svt

Established Member
so i was driving on the highway and i suddenly hear a clanking noise so i slow down imediately and as im slowing down the noise is comming from the pass side rear tire, it almost sounded like something that was turning but it would turn like almost all the way around and then make a loud clank sound at the end of the rotation. so me and a friend jacked the car up and there was very little side to side movement in the rim and i couldnt see anything that was sticking out of the ordinary, but when we were first lifting the car up i noticed that the car went up higher than usual before the tire lifted off the ground. does this sound farmiliar to anyone?

SVECobraR

Established Member
if you put it in gear, from a stop, and try to drive off, does the car move? Or does it not move on its own out of gear.

If you broke the halfshaft you won't be able to drive the car, the traction control light comes on and the car doesn't move. Or at least that was my experience.

oxw01svt

Established Member
the car will drive and go into gear fine but when you start driving everytime the wheel rotates theres a loud clanking but when i went over 20 the clanking noise went away but still the rear on the pass side was very wobbly

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
the half shaft sounds intact then. Also halfshafts rarely brake unless you hook very very hard and or are in wheelhop. It doesnt state whether you were accelerating or anything in your post, so im not totally sure.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
then unless it was already severly stressed from wheel hop and hard launching, i doubt its a halfshaft. Have you noticed any fluid coming from the car?

Put it back on a jack and get a flashlight. If its a snapped halfshaft you will see it, or if it snapped in the boot, just try and wiggle it.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
If it were a half shaft you would know it, the car wouldn't move and there would be grease everywhere under the car.

oxw01svt

Established Member
i jacked the car back up this mornin and i can move the pass side wheel around left to right and up and down it has a little less than a 1/4 inch of play any way i move it. is this a broke wheel bearing?

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Pull the wheel, pull the brakes, pull the rotor off, and check the axle nut and wheel bearing in the spindle. When you wiggle it around you should be able to tell whats loose.

oxw01svt

Established Member
problem was the wheelbearing seized and the inner part of the hub was rotating without the bearing so it broke apart. thats what the clunk noise was the broken parts moving around.
l_297932d8fa05f061e3d2cbec5c897bf7.jpg
l_819745e85d977598e72f909882ae92de.jpg

scotts99snake

Established Member
I just had the same problem, well, mine was just a horrible squeek. I ended up having to replace the spindle and wheel bearing. I ordered the spindle through my local dealer and paid way too much. Could be much worse though. Good luck.

oxw01svt

Established Member
its all fixed and works like new. it took longer to find a new damn wheel hub than it did to pull apart and put back together. im prob gonna be buying a new bearing for the other side and replace that next week.

VNEMUS

Established Member
Be sure to periodically check and re-torque the 36mm nut on the hubs to 250 foot pounds as preventative maintenance.

I snapped my passenger side rear halfshaft on Friday night at the dragstrip. Hopefully replacing both sides with a set of 03-04s this week.

Users who are viewing this thread