Think I Royally F***** Up, Just Need to Confirm

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
So, I bought a set of the March Performance underdrive pullies and searched this forum and got all kinds of good info on the details and install so off I went. I got the alternator pulley off, water pump pulley off, and finally the crank pulley off with the typical 3 pronged puller.

However.....when I removed the crank pulley, with the puller still attached, and saw the end of the center jacking bolt on the puller, the tip had mushroomed and galled. The first thread was flattened out enough where I cannot thread the bolt out of the puller.

I knew this was not good. To confirm my concern, I took the stock crank bolt and tried threading it back into the crank snout just by itself....:nonono:

It won't thread in easily like before. Soooooooooo, can someone here please confirm that I ****ed up the crank threads and there is no easy fix? I'm 99.9% sure I did.

Dan

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depending on how bad it is you might be able to get away with running a tap through the threads on the crank. I don't know the size you need though.

my98stang46

Established Member
As they said. Try a tap just make sure you start out straight or you'll still be just as effed

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
I will give the tap a try, I think that's my only option anyways. It will be tricky trying to start it straight because I can't see how banged up the crank threads are. I'm worried that there is a lip there now that the tap can't get past. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!

I'm left wondering why the hell the jack bolt would be designed to push against the threads like that? Knowing you're going to have to put a good load against it to get the crank pulley off.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I will give the tap a try, I think that's my only option anyways. It will be tricky trying to start it straight because I can't see how banged up the crank threads are. I'm worried that there is a lip there now that the tap can't get past. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!

I'm left wondering why the hell the jack bolt would be designed to push against the threads like that? Knowing you're going to have to put a good load against it to get the crank pulley off.

Make sure you verifiy the thread size before running a tap in the thread. Even if you need to order one online, speciality and unique size taps can be hard to come by. Check McMaster-Carr when looking for tap.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Usually there's a piece you put over the end of the puller to keep it from pressing against the threads. I usually thread the bolt in a few turns without the washer so the puller can push against the bolt head.

delvin.a

Established Member
Take your time! Make quadruple certain that the tap is going in smoothly and straight. Like someone said above make sure your using the exact same thread size.

You'll get it done just take your time and be very cautious. If something isn't going right stop and investigate.

Best of luck :beer:

my98stang46

Established Member

Your supposed to leave the washer off and put the bolt back in so the threads won't be damaged

330mach1

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me. i thought i had the bolt threaded all the way in but bolt wasn't there. I ran a tap thru it with no problem. just take your time.

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, this is just what I was looking for!

I can confirm the thread for the crank bolt is 12mm x 1.50. Ever so gently I tapped the hole 2 times, and each time the tap went in with ease. At the beginning I could feel a lip break off, so I think I only damaged the first thread or so. After that, everything went together just fine and I took it out for a drive and everything seems perfect.

Usually there's a piece you put over the end of the puller to keep it from pressing against the threads. I usually thread the bolt in a few turns without the washer so the puller can push against the bolt head.

Yes! there's a small countersink piece that fits into the end of the jacking bolt, and like a dumbass I didn't think twice about it's purpose. Needless to say, I dodged a bullet.

Your supposed to leave the washer off and put the bolt back in so the threads won't be damaged

I took the washer off, it was the countersink that I forgot.

Could you post a pic of the damage if you don't mind?

I'll try to get a pic of the jacking bolt, if that's what you're referring to.

Thanks again guys!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread