Think I'm gonna make the swap (IRS - Solid Axle)

Matt_Sterbator

Established Member
Welp, after my latest excursion into the 12s on the motor, and drag radials. I've been eyeing my fiance's rear end, particularly the 8.8 solid axle underneath her 98 Mustang GT :D (dirty minded boys)

Way I see it, I don't road race it or autoX it that much. The solid axle isn't that bad at those events anyway, and the IRS seems to be more of a gimmick than something performance oriented. I do love the ride, but paying for new halfshafts, if and when I do break them, isn't appealing.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind the nicer ride of the IRS and I wouldn't mind the peace of mind the solid axle will provide me with my future horsepower plans.

What I need from you guys is any info regarding the swap. I saw someone who posted a website of a guy who did the swap, but I can't find it. I'd post it on the Corral, but that site is having issues now.

-Are the GT/Cobra rear brakes the same ?

-The GT exhaust may not fit the Cobra, but will the Cobra exhaust fit the GT with the IRS ? (I can run temp dumps if this is an issue)

- Do the driveshafts need to be swapped ?

-Will the E-brake cables need to be swapped ?

-Will I need any parts that the GT can't provide ?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Matt: E-mail (HI-PSI) Ian Mallane, he's over on the corral. He just swaped out the IRS for a solid axle. He has a 99. He did it in his drive way. If you can't find him, let me know. I'll have him contact you.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread