think my cobra can smoke a S2000?

94svt5.0

Established Member
No this is not a kill, but it probably would be. I would appreciate some opinions. I have a friend who has a bone stock honda S2000. He thinks it can smoke my cobra. I have driven the honda a couple of times and it feels pretty fast, but not that fast. So what do you guys think? i have never had my cobra to the drag strip so i dony know what it runs. According to Road and Track magazine the S2000 will run the 1/4 in 14.1sec, while Motor Trend rated it at 13.8 I have clocked the 0-60 on my cobra at 4.8 sec. so anybody got some opinions? thanks.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
A pro driver might beat you in one, but unless the S2000 owner is willing (and knowing) to launch at an extremely high RPM (they have almost NO torque, down low) and beat the car to death through the gears...you'll take him in the quarter.

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
I'm not trying to piss you off, but there is no way your car goes 0-60 in 4.8 seconds with the mods that you have. My car will probably do it in 4.5-4.2 area and it runs 12's. That is an estimate based on other cars with similar 1/4 mile and trap speeds.
Now the honda, you'll probably beat him.
later
john

Blackgeetee

Established Member
If you launch good off the line you should take him, but he'll come on strong towards the end. I think after you get a jump on him, he'll stay where he's at and won't fall any further back. Just get a good jump and you should win.

Those S2000's have one hell of an amazing powertrain. Honda or not, they get my full respect. Any street machine which naturally aspirates 120 horse/liter is pretty damn amazing. I along with probably everyone here loves low end torque more than low torque high end horse motors. But still, some people like it that way.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by 94cobra
I'm not trying to piss you off, but there is no way your car goes 0-60 in 4.8 seconds with the mods that you have. My car will probably do it in 4.5-4.2 area and it runs 12's. That is an estimate based on other cars with similar 1/4 mile and trap speeds.
Now the honda, you'll probably beat him.
later
john
Yeah, that 4.8 number kinda stuck out to me too... something didn't seem to fit??

MiamiWhiteSVT-L

Established Member
Unless your friend is willing to drop that clutch or rev it to like 7800 RPM's before launching, there is no way in hell he'll beat u......Even though the S2K's are something to definitely respect, for the reasons listed above, high 13-second quarter miles for those cars are very rare! I've seen some decent drivers pull near 15-second quarter miles in S2K's.............they bog like crazy, and are very hard to launch. Mid 14's and fewer low 14's are the norm.

Now, race one from a roll in its sweet spot, and it may just hand you your a$$!! And definitely, don't try the twisties with it either.....other than the WRX, I can't think of anything that can handle better than and S2K.

I remember seeing a Spa Yellow sc/d S2K on the highway once........that thing was ungodly fast from a roll, but once it exited my same exit, I was behind it at a light, and it bogged like crazy........I was just watching him basically. How'd I know it was sc'd? Cause I had seen it at a Car show once before....it was very unique!

JC

94svt5.0

Established Member
it realy is 4.8 sec

So whats so unbelievable about my 0-60 time of 4.8 sec. ? And to the poster 94 cobra, you say yours does it in about 4.5, look at your mods compared to mine. There is no major difference other then the gears, and that mod mostly results in wheel spin. The 4.8 sec run was repeated multiple times through a series of back to back runs. Only other explaination is that im a heck of a launcher.

CraneClan

Injun along at 140
Established Member
Originally posted by Rob03
Are you sure that 0-60 isn't 5.8? I know the 4 and 5 are next to each other so maybe he hit the wrong key.
I sincerely hope not. My L does better than that.

94cobra

Established Member
94svt5.0,
Sorry dude your car doesn't do 0-60 in 4.8. Oh and those gears make a huge difference. When I go to the track i can cut 1.87 60 foot times with my everyday street tires. I don't know your track experience. But there is only a small percentage who can do that.
And your mods aren't the same either unless your missing something in your sig. Do you have a PIH? No. MSD? No. ProM77? No. E-cam? No.
And I highly don't your car can run a 12 second 1/4 mile or even a 13 second 1/4 mile.
And another thing how did you figure out your 0-60 anyway?
later
john

94svt5.0

Established Member
yo 94cobra, believe it

yo 94cobra guy, those other mods you listed with the exception of the cam are only good for a couple horse power. The cam is good for a bit more but not that much, because ford already put a revised cam in the cobra. I know how to clock 0-60. i punch it, run it up to 30mph, then start the stop watch and stop it at 60mph. Isnt that how everybody does it? Just kidding man, really i start the stop watch at the exact moment i drop the clutch, and stop it when the needle hits 60mph. Its not an exact science but the results are consistent. Besides my car has things yours does not. Wheres the power chip? (good for 24hp, 32ft/tq, source: superchips web site) cold air induction?(8-14 hp source: MAC performance parts). The car runs 0-60 in 4.8 sec. believe it or not. Somebody back me up here.

94cobra

Established Member
94svt5.0,
The cobra computer is the shittiest computer on the market. That is why I have a PIH. That is a fox body computer (A3M1) with a module so that the ABS, electric fan and other stuff work, because the fox body mustangs don't have that stuff. The cobra computer retards timing in between every shift and at 94 mph, as much as 10 degrees.
The superchips will give you maybe 5-10 hp, and the cold air maybe 5-10 hp also. You don't know until you put your car on a dyno. Thats like me saying the K&N gives me 15 hp because thats what it says on the box.
Your right it's not exact science, but most speedos and factory tachs are never right. Especially a car with miles on it, like a 94! I would believe you if it was on paper, like a timeslip.
There is no way your car goes 0-60 in 4.8 with stock timing, stock mufflers and tailpipes, and 3.08's.
I have a question for you, what lbs injectors is your "stock" mass air cal'd for?
later
john

94svt5.0

Established Member
true facts

94cobra you got it all wrong, the superchips powerchips makes the horse power advertised. The result were evident in reduced 0-60 time when installed. The chip advances the timing, so it is by no means "stock". The dated computer in you car is only good for a couple hp anyway, and can cause loss of hp and other driveability woes. Have you had it on a dyno? Can you prove any hp benefit? The k&n filter quote of 15 hp is as you know a max figure they obtained on the corvette. They make no claims that it will do the same for EVERY car. The superchips figures I quoted are for the exact application on 1994 mustang cobra. As for the accuracy of the speedo, it is verified by numerous road side radar stands along construction zones, which we have here in KY. Hey man the 0-60 is 4.8 sec

94cobra

Established Member
Yes the car has been on the dyno. With PIH, MSD, Prom77, 3.73's, off road h-pipe, flowmaster cat back, and pulleys. It made 256.6 rwhp and 300.1 rwt. Thats about 300 hp at the flywheel figuring 17% for drivetrain loss. It ran a best of [email protected] with street tires, dunlop sp5000's to be exact.
And by advance the timing and playing with a fuel pressure regulator the most hp you will get is about 10-15 hp. I have seen this done also on a dyno. The car on the dyno has the same exact stuff my car has.
So your telling me your car has about the same 0-60 as a 2000 cobra R? If you had gears I would almost believe you, and you have 18 inch tires that will even reduce your gear ratio numerically lower.
To really settle this go to the track. If you can beat a or come near a [email protected] in the 1/8th mile I will believe you.
I make a beer bet with you. If you go to the track, I bet you can't get over 100 mph 1/4 mile trap speed. That should be no problem for a car that goes 0-60 in 4.8, especially a cobra.
later
john

94svt5.0

Established Member
it reaaly does do it

Man, 94cobra your really taking this thing personally. Its not like im driving some import or camaro, im driving the same thing you are. I clocked it at 4.8 sec, and that is what it does. If that is the same as a stock R, so what? my car is not stock. Do a few mods on a R and it would blow about anyhting away. Im going to get one of those G-Tech meter things in a couple weeks, would you believe the results of that? Im also going to the local drag strip as soon as i can, there doing renovations on it right know. But arnt you claiming 0-60 in 4.5 sec? with only 300 flywheel hp? Thats faster then a 2000 COBRA R with like 380 hp. So whats with that? So back down a bit, your not the only midly mod cobra to go below 13 in 1/4. Oh and my wheels are plus sized, over all height is the same as it was with the 17" stock wheels.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: it reaaly does do it

Originally posted by 94svt5.0
Man, 94cobra your really taking this thing personally. Its not like im driving some import or camaro, im driving the same thing you are. I clocked it at 4.8 sec, and that is what it does. If that is the same as a stock R, so what? my car is not stock. Do a few mods on a R and it would blow about anyhting away. Im going to get one of those G-Tech meter things in a couple weeks, would you believe the results of that? Im also going to the local drag strip as soon as i can, there doing renovations on it right know. But arnt you claiming 0-60 in 4.5 sec? with only 300 flywheel hp? Thats faster then a 2000 COBRA R with like 380 hp. So whats with that? So back down a bit, your not the only midly mod cobra to go below 13 in 1/4. Oh and my wheels are plus sized, over all height is the same as it was with the 17" stock wheels.

OK, i'm really tired of all this F***ING bitching and bench racing. 95svt5.0, go to a track, then you will have validity, or better yet, I'll be in lexington next friday, and you can run me ( with a VERIFIED 0-60 of 4.8) , see if you can hang, we'll have my friend's father-in-law's 2000 vette too. And believe it or not, with the right launch, and the horsepower and torque listed, 94cobra is VERY capable of 0-60 in 4.5, because of the 3.73's, while you have 3.08's. Oh yeah, and on the 5.0, cam makes a HUGE difference, even though the cobra has a slightly more aggressive cam than the gt. IMHO, 94 cobra probably could've gotten a little more power from the F cam.
now 94cobra, i read something you said about his 18" wheels lowering his effective final drive, that would be the case if the OVERALL diameter of his wheel got larger, but in most cases you switch to a smaller sidewall tire when you go up in size, therefore keeping the same overall diameter.
and to BOTH of you, please stop bench racing, that is the most annoying thing in the world, go out and get documented proof (moreso toward 94svt5.0 than 94cobra, since he has dyno sheets and timeslips). you can't check your acceleration accurately using a stopwatch and speedo, due to mechanical innaccuracies and human error.

I'm not trying to bash either one of you, but you're not getting anywhere in this discussion and I'm just trying to straighten a few things out.

96SNAKE

Established Member
Well said quick01,

While I personally doubt the 4.8, if you get dyno/track numbers on her, I may believe it. Yes, dyno numbers don't tell it all but they do give an idea on a car's potential. Track times and expecially trap speed would be even better.

Last edited:

Rob03

Established Member
I think a timeslip would settle it all. Can't be too hard to accomplish if you want to really see what you have. I know the advertised 0-60 on a 94 Cobra was 6.3. It is possible to get a 4.8 or even a 4.5, but it will require some serious mods and a good launch...Enough said on the subject...Sho9w us a timeslip and shut us up for good...I would be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong....

Cheer's :beer:
Robert

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Rob03
Sho9w us a timeslip and shut us up for good...I would be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong....

Cheer's :beer:
Robert

I agree , I would eat my words if you show some concrete evidence. Check your PM's 94svt5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread