Thinking about a 2010

greenscobie86

Established Member
Currently have a 2013 Coyote MT82 non track pack car.

Been toying with the idea of getting into a GT500. I realize that a 2010 would be sort of a "sidegrade" performance wise compared to the 5.0. That being said I don't plan on modding the GT500 much as my current car only has a set of Roush AB's and some suspension work done to it.

Would you guys recommend a 2010 GT500 for me? Open ended question I know, but I'm looking for first hand experiences specifically. A 2011-2014 car is not in the cards since I am looking at a specific car which would be a project, hoping to score it for cheap... This specific car has HID's, and the Shaker 1000/NAV option fwiw. My current car is a 300A model.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ponyboy96

Established Member
Not sure why it would be considered a lateral in the upgrade department vs a 5.0. The 2010 is the red headed stepchild in the gt500 community, however it is just as fast as a 2011-2012 and faster than the 07-09. It is stock rated at 540hp. If you are planning on racing the car, that iron block would be the better option from a cost perspective. Everything else is pretty much the same. TVS and some suspension mods and tires and it's a 10sec car. The only one that would be better is the 13-14.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Do it.

But SVT is my dream car.

And don't let anyone tell you the 2010 is a poor buy. It's the new body with the cast block from 07-09. Whoopty-doo. Upgrades just like the rest of em. Heck like the guy above some people like the cast block over aluminum for longevity. I have no expertise as I simply like the looks of the gen1 GT500 better.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I say do it too!!

There is nothing the matter with a 2010. Yes, they were somewhat unique, having the previous iron block and things on the bottom side that are common with the earlier cars (smaller 2.5" exhaust, suspension pieces, etc.) but heck, it's a GT500.............and they all look good to me. Once an owner starts down the "mod path", faster, slower, more powerful, less powerful all depends upon the thickness of the wallet.........;-)

R

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
I love my 2010, wouldn't trade it for an 11-14.

Depending on the power levels you are after, the 11-14 make it easier in the fueling/tuning department.

Biggest things are...
Adjustable Voltage on the OEM Fuel Pumps via tune. (Simulates a Boost a Pump)
Wideband capabilities via 02 sensors.

I say do the trade. Just getting a TR-6060 makes it worth it lol. Not to mention a pulley and a tune can get you 520+ to the wheels.

Full list of 2010 to 2011 changes below. Stole it from another forum, but it seems legit.
*Aluminum block
*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
* Improved under body aero dynamics
*Orange antifreeze
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Wideband o2's?
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline
*Optional glass roof

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I love my 2010, wouldn't trade it for an 11-14.

Depending on the power levels you are after, the 11-14 make it easier in the fueling/tuning department.

Biggest things are...
Adjustable Voltage on the OEM Fuel Pumps via tune. (Simulates a Boost a Pump)
Wideband capabilities via 02 sensors.

I say do the trade. Just getting a TR-6060 makes it worth it lol. Not to mention a pulley and a tune can get you 520+ to the wheels.

Full list of 2010 to 2011 changes below. Stole it from another forum, but it seems legit.
*Aluminum block
*Electric steering
*Silver finish on SC
*Blue power coat valve covers
*Improved exhaust manifolds
*Larger exhaust diameter
*H pipe vs 2010 X pipe
*Painted rear end
*Finned aluminum diff cover
*Improved brake cooling
*Auto start ignition
*40% larger inter cooler
*HID's standard
*No gas guzzler tax
*Flip up/ down rear headrests
* Improved under body aero dynamics
*Orange antifreeze
*Bigger faster more complex computer
*Wideband o2's?
*New colors
*Improved suspension, fixed the 2010's wheel hop.
*10 horsepower more but seems to make more like 20whp
*Factory "Boost a pump" for the fuel pump
*"My key" for limiting speed and TC for certain keys
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline
*Optional glass roof

I'm pretty sure the 2007-2012 I/C under the S/C is the same, it was not until 2013 that the I/C upsized.

Here is a Kenne Bell CFM flow comparison for the oem 2007-2012 I/C, the oem 2013/14 I/C.........and then the BIGUN I/C..........

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Bigun_pg/bigun_intercooler.htm

R

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
Thanks a bunch for the info. In perspective, guess it would pretty much be a complete upgrade for me sans the MyKey, autostart ignition, EPAS and foldable headrests. All things I can live without.
+45111984300 on the MT82 < TR6060 comment.

I've never driven a 2010 GT5hundo so I'm sure I'll be wowed by the power difference over my 5.0. When I do mod it will probably be a 2.6 pulley + tune + JLT + plugs + Afco HE. So as far as the wideband 02's and fueling tunability I hope I'll be ok since thats a fairly common setup on these Shelbys.

Just gotta get the car first! :)

Last edited:

reeve_ryan

Established Member
I purchased a 2012 5.0 and soon had the typical bolt-ons. Don't get me wrong, I like the 5.0 and think it is still a great car, but the Shelby (2010 full bolt-ons tvs) is something special.
The power and appeal never gets old. Good luck

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
I have a 10' and love it. There's nothing I wish the car had that the 11+ have in a big picture. My buddy with an 11 loves the steering compared to his EPAS which doesn't feel as "in touch" with the road at speed.

Mike

Stetler17

Established Member
Zero regrets with my 2010. You might not be overly impressed with it stock, but pulley and tune is a whole different car. I did that for two years and then went TVS, which is another whole different car. It's such an easy upgrade whenever you get bored.

My feelings, pulley and heat exchanger are a must on any 07-12 to get them to where they should have been stock.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Love my 2010. Fixed the smaller diameter exhaust issue with some long tubes and a 3" exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellow03cobra

Established Member
spent around $3000(used tvs) on parts for my 2010 and I have a 600+rwhp car for $35,000 total. Local dealer has a 2014 on the lot for $55000. I'm happy with my purchase.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've owned two 2010s. One vert, current one a hardtop. Stock they were a joke. Pulley, tune, suspension, and tires, and the car is a monster!

I specifically bought 2010s, solely for the iron block, stock cold air intake, updated interior, better clutch, updated exterior, no EPAS, FWIW.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I have a 10' and love it. There's nothing I wish the car had that the 11+ have in a big picture. My buddy with an 11 loves the steering compared to his EPAS which doesn't feel as "in touch" with the road at speed.

Mike

The non EPAS steering was a main reason I wanted the 2010.

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
This thread is definitely what I want to hear, so thanks for the positive reassurement everybody!

I have LCA's, Konis, Max Motorsports CC plates and a PHB on my car currently, so I will likely swap those over to this car if the stars align.

Of course the car which Im hoping to buy will also need a right quarter panel and door first, so I'll likely start a build thread similar to Mike93SVT when I pick her up.

That being said if I can find a TVS for $3k the 2010 GT500 pretty much becomes the most awesome thing ever in my book haha.

Last edited:

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
That list is not 100% True....

*Improved exhaust manifolds - Those are actually identical from 2007-2014 - all use the same
*40% larger inter cooler - Heat exchanger - as mentioned before, only the 13-14 have a bigger intercooler
*Different cam part numbers, some say its the Ford GT cams due to the 2011's making peak whp at redline - incorrect - 07-12 have the same cams, only 13-14 use the Ford GT cams

LEXiiON

Dynobrat

Established Member
you can get away with just a tvs and such but you'll also need to upgrade the clutch, the driveshaft, the rear suspension, and you'll need tires, and eventually the brakes if you like stopping at 140+mph haha. it's heavy you can feel it I don't miss anything about mine but the power. The rest of the car is a 2005 mustang.

It makes a great drag car and you need all that in order for it to be a drag car, and if you upset the balance you just have an overpowered car that won't handle or move.

You can add a tvs or paxton to a 5.0 and be shoulder to shoulder

Last edited:

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
This thread is definitely what I want to hear, so thanks for the positive reassurement everybody!

I have LCA's, Konis, Max Motorsports CC plates and a PHB on my car currently, so I will likely swap those over to this car if the stars align.

Of course the car which Im hoping to buy will also need a right quarter panel and door first, so I'll likely start a build thread similar to Mike93SVT when I pick her up.

That being said if I can find a TVS for $3k the 2010 GT500 pretty much becomes the most awesome thing ever in my book haha.

yeah! project cars are the most fun. build it and make it your own. 13/14 TVS can be had for 1,500. use that savings for a clutch and fuel requirements. hope it works out for you and please do a build thread on it.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread