Thinking about a used 11/12 5.0

04nccobra

Established Member
Times are getting tight here in my household, just can't justify having 40k tied up in my Challenger. Been thinking about something for a little less money mainly used 11/12 5.0 or a 03/04 Cobra to play with for now.

I'm leaning towards an automatic 5.0 as it seems they are quicker and easier to pedal out of the hole at the strip. I know launching my SS was a major PIA dealing with spin, hop, or both. The Challenger launches beautiful, no drama at all.

Can you folks give me a little feedback on the stick vs automatic 5.0?

I know about the Cobra as I have owned one.

Sly Fox

Established Member
I have a 6M '12 and love it but the auto's are just keep getting faster and faster. I guess it all depends on what your plans are for it. What exactly are your power goals and how much do you plan on driving/racing in the car?

04nccobra

Established Member
I have a 6M '12 and love it but the auto's are just keep getting faster and faster. I guess it all depends on what your plans are for it. What exactly are your power goals and how much do you plan on driving/racing in the car?

Basic bolt ons, maybe some DRs, very light street driving weekends, and a few trips to the 1/4

87hatchy

Established Member
If you're not going to drag race it every other day, go with the stick. Yeah the automatic is faster and easier to launch, but who cares unless you are drag racing all the time? You will have way more fun rowing through the gears, downshifting and getting on it, etc. You'll probably get bored with driving the auto after a while and wish you went stick

Sly Fox

Established Member
Basic bolt ons, maybe some DRs, very light street driving weekends, and a few trips to the 1/4
I would go stick then. You'll a lot more fun than an auto. I love driving my car and banging gears. Plus if you plan on keeping the mods simple the manual trans will be faster on the street.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
If you're not going to drag race it every other day, go with the stick. Yeah the automatic is faster and easier to launch, but who cares unless you are drag racing all the time? You will have way more fun rowing through the gears, downshifting and getting on it, etc. You'll probably get bored with driving the auto after a while and wish you went stick

have you driven a tuned auto? they are actually quite fun. i'd say go auto all the way. tune/axleback/dr's I was running 11.79@117ish.

87hatchy

Established Member
have you driven a tuned auto? they are actually quite fun. i'd say go auto all the way. tune/axleback/dr's I was running 11.79@117ish.

No I actually haven't driven a tuned auto coyote. I'm not denying that its still fun. I'm sure it is. I'm just saying there is no amount of fast that can make up for not being able to manually bang gears. Its just a much more involved and therefore rewarding experience in my opinion

D.T.R

Established Member
Those boats are 40k? jesus christ.
If you are not a going to track it religiously, then I'd go stick.. more fun and rewarding. Now, if you want to squeeze the absolute most out of a 5.0 at the track it's easier with the auto.

cuslo1

Established Member
No I actually haven't driven a tuned auto coyote. I'm not denying that its still fun. I'm sure it is. I'm just saying there is no amount of fast that can make up for not being able to manually bang gears. Its just a much more involved and therefore rewarding experience in my opinion
+1 my tuned auto with a procal is awesome. i can break the tires lose at anytime up to 45-50mph. I also had an 04 cobra and feel IMO the auto is just as much fun if not more,plus I can play with the misses when driving if you know what I mean lol

Users who are viewing this thread