Thinking about buying a handgun, need a little help

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
I've been considering buying a handgun lately and I'm not quite sure what to get. I grew up shooting shotguns and rifles but wasn't around sidearms as much. Here's basically what I'm wanting:

- The gun will be used primarily for target shooting and ranges rather than just home protection, so I'd like something with a little more accuracy since it will actually get some use.

- I know the ammo is a problem on some types, especially 9mm right now. I've got an opportunity to purchase a never-fired Glock .40 with two extra magazines for a great price, but I'm not sure if that's the right one for my needs. I've heard .40 ammo is much easier to come by these days.

- Something fun to shoot, comfortable, but if I ever needed it for home protection, it could still get the job done. Not too worried about it being concealed because I won't be concealing this one.

- I'd prefer a slide rather than a revolver.

If you guys could point me in the right direction towards some particular brands and models or let me know what you use that'd be great.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I'm no gun expert but I did shoot dozens of different handguns when I took my NRA-certification class and my favorite semi-autos were the Glock .40 and the 1911. My #1 favorite and my most accurate shooting was the S&W .357 revolver. I was the 2nd fastest and most accurate shooter in the class using the .357. Awesome gun.

dogmush

Established Member
1911. Hands down.

They can be had from around $450-~$4000. Pick one.

Also, of the glocks, the .40's and 10mm's have a higher incedence of Ka-booms. Higher chamber pressures in an unsupported chamber.

SnkBitPny

Established Member
Can't go wrong with a Springfield Armory XD. They make it in several calibers but I would recommend the 40.

IcE

Established Member
Check out the Glock Model 27, that is what I have. They are the sub compact .40 that Glock which makes it a nice size. They shoot nice, and they are very light weight and durable.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Can't go wrong with a Springfield Armory XD. They make it in several calibers but I would recommend the 40.

I have a subcompact 40. I love the gun but for me to really love shooting the gun it needs trigger work.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Go to the gun shop and try a few in your hand. I just picked up a Glock 23, but I was looking at a variety of others. The Glock happened to fit my hand well and so I went with it.

Users who are viewing this thread