Thinking about Ford's PPP2 for my S550...but...

chagan02

Established Member
All,

I've been looking at tuners and CAI kits for a while now, but I'm kinda hung up on something. I really like the PPP2 kit below:

Ford Performance Mustang Power Pack 2 M-9603-M8A (15-17 GT)

However, I'd really like to get a SCT tuner instead of the Ford one. Mainly because I'm used to it, and I can use that for future mods. So my question is, should I just buy the parts in the kit above, then get a SCT Tuner and a custom tune? Has anyone else done this? I'd be curious if they had good results, especially those TQ gains in the low end of Power Band( it's a street car). I don't really wanna pay for the Ford tune/software if I'm not going to use it.

Thanks.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Are you still under warranty and looking to retain said warranty? If so, get the PP2 and keep the Ford tune. A lot of people who bought the PP2 were very happy with it.

If you're out of warranty or willing to roll the dice, skip it entirely. From what I've been reading, CAI's don't improve anything on a street car due to high IAT's and the Ford tune is very conservative. You also do not need a GT350 TB, plenty of people making big power on a stock one.

The more popular thing right now is the 18+ manifold and airbox on 15-17 cars. The 18+ manifold flows better without any torque drop off like the GT350 and the newer airbox has a much larger MAF housing.

My car is out of its basic 3/36, even though I do have an extended warranty and still have my 5/60, I decided to roll the dice and just put a Lund Racing 91/93 tune with the nGauge on my car. I do have the flex fuel tune coming, just had to send them a log to confirm my fuel trims are all in order. I'm very impressed with this tune so far, it pulls a lot harder down low and it pulls a lot harder in 5th gear at lower RPMs. So far I'm very happy with this setup.

My advice to you:
1. buy a real tune if you're going to flash the car. Lund, AED, PBD all seem popular. Skip the CAI or just get a 18+ airbox.
2. If you're buying Ford Racing/Ford Performance parts, talk to Mike or Chris at Tousley Ford (Autonation White Bear Lake), a sponsor here and on Mustang6G. Every time I've looked, their pricing has been cheaper on FRPP parts when compared to AmericanMuscle, CJPP, LMR, etc. I think I said like 50 dollars on my GT350 steering wheel going to Tousley.

chagan02

Established Member
Awesome input man. Thanks. The warranty is about done due to the time, car only has 7k miles on it. No extended warranty on this one, at least not to my knowledge (not first owner).

I’ve seen a lot about that 18 manifold, seems pretty legit. I’ll certainly look into that. Do you know if Lund, Palm City Dyno, or anyone like that sells that manifold as a conversion and a also tune?

As for the airbox, I was a bit confused. Do I have to use the 18 airbox to use the 18 manifold? If not, you were saying the 18 airbox is best?

I just feel like the Ford Parts aren’t the best bang for the buck. I’d be curious to know what kinda hp/tq gains come with the 18 manifold and a custom tune.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Awesome input man. Thanks. The warranty is about done due to the time, car only has 7k miles on it. No extended warranty on this one, at least not to my knowledge (not first owner).

I’ve seen a lot about that 18 manifold, seems pretty legit. I’ll certainly look into that. Do you know if Lund, Palm City Dyno, or anyone like that sells that manifold as a conversion and a also tune?

As for the airbox, I was a bit confused. Do I have to use the 18 airbox to use the 18 manifold? If not, you were saying the 18 airbox is best?

I just feel like the Ford Parts aren’t the best bang for the buck. I’d be curious to know what kinda hp/tq gains come with the 18 manifold and a custom tune.

Thanks!

You do not need to use the 18+ airbox with the manifold. I was just saying as compared to a CAI, you get a large MAF housing with the 18+ manifold, the upper lid flows a bit more (bottom is the same as a 15-17) but its still a sealed unit so the IAT's stay down.

I haven't seen them selling the OEM manifold w/ a tune, but when you buy a tune from Lund one of the options under intake manifold is 18+. Terry @ Beefcake racing has the 18+ intake manifolds pretty cheap, I never priced it out compared to Tousley.

I don't have any data at hand for this manifold, you can probably find a few threads about it on M6G since it's the new hot shit right now.

chagan02

Established Member
You do not need to use the 18+ airbox with the manifold. I was just saying as compared to a CAI, you get a large MAF housing with the 18+ manifold, the upper lid flows a bit more (bottom is the same as a 15-17) but its still a sealed unit so the IAT's stay down.

I haven't seen them selling the OEM manifold w/ a tune, but when you buy a tune from Lund one of the options under intake manifold is 18+. Terry @ Beefcake racing has the 18+ intake manifolds pretty cheap, I never priced it out compared to Tousley.

I don't have any data at hand for this manifold, you can probably find a few threads about it on M6G since it's the new hot shit right now.

Cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I have seen a few sites that sell the 18 manifold as a swap kit with the required harnesses, which may be the route I go. I watched that VMP video where they compare all these manifolds and it seems like the 18 ported version was the best bang for the buck. I see they sell a 500hp power pack of their own that contains the GT350 manifold along with a tune and CAI. Id be curious what kinda NA power I could make with a ported 18, some long tubes, and a tune. That would be around a $2k investment. Wonder what the dollar/hp ratio would be on that. In the past I’ve usually stayed away from all the bolt on stuff and tried to go FI as it’s really the only way to make good power. That said, it’s gonna be a good while before I can afford a SC.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

chagan02

Established Member
Bumping this up for another question...

So I had about settled on the PP2, but I’d like to go with Long Tubes as well. Thus, the Ford Tune wouldn’t account for that.

Therefore, assuming Long Tubes are in the equation, I guess I have no option except the 18 mani and CAI with a custom tune? I’ve seen a few dyno runs of cars with Long Tubes and the 18 mani with a tune turning the rotors at 400rwhp+ on 91/93. If I could get close to 450whp NA, I’d just forgo FI altogether. Not sure that number is possible though with just Bolt Ons.

Users who are viewing this thread