Thinking About Monoblade

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
My car is making good power (683/679) 2.4 upper and twin 67 TB at around16lbs .
I was considering going back to the stock upper with 10% down below looking for and extra 1-1.5lbs boost. Then I started thinking of giving FRPP a call about the CJ single blade TB.
Any suggestions on gains from just the CJ Mono ? Damn spring season around the corner has me thinking that if I did BOTH it would be a good kick in the asphalt .

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
20+ whp going from a twin 65mm to a mono. This normally doesn't require a tune. ( check with your tuner )

03kbredfire

Established Member
I found the TB on the 03 04 Cobra's to be very touchy, an On/Off switch feeling. If you like to drive on the street I would look into a larger twin blade. Flow from the larger twin blade are very good.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I found the TB on the 03 04 Cobra's to be very touchy, an On/Off switch feeling. If you like to drive on the street I would look into a larger twin blade. Flow from the larger twin blade are very good.

Not the case if it's tuned right. I've DD all 3 of my Shelby's w/ FRPP Mono.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have the SCJ monoblade on my GT500. Zero driveability issues. No additional tune. My butt dyno says I picked up 25 - 30 HP at the wheels. Other guys have checked actual dynos and confirmed my butt dyno's accuracy. You won't be disappointed with the FRPP SCJ monoblade.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
I had the mono on my previous whippled 2010. It was a PITA getting it tuned right. I eventually had the tuning issues fixed, but decided to go a different route on my 2013 and chose the twin 67mm instead. In the end, I prefer the more linear feeling the twin 67 gives. My 3 cents.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran the super cobra mono blade T/B on my 13 with Lund tuning it the car drove amazing. Accufab has fixed the issue with that T/B so you'll have no worries.

99VERT

Established Member
If you are interested in a Innovators west 10% lower, I have one in great shape with the correct length belt for sale. PM me if your interested.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well, think about it. With twin openings, you have a huge blockage right in the middle of the air passage. With a monoblade, it's wide open. The monoblade is obviously going to flow a lot more air.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Just from a purely theoretical calculation of the area of the throttle bores minus the throttle shafts of the 72mm vs. the CJ monoblade, the 72mm twin is within 6%. How that translates to actual flow will require a flow bench. The monoblade is only 65mm tall, so when you consider the throttle shaft running the entire length, it eats up some of the area.

For you old guys, remember the Holley 3 barrel. Ever wonder why Holley discontinued it?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Somebody did do a flow test one time between the CJ 65mm twin and the SCJ monoblade. The difference was +/-300 CFM, if I recall correctly. You'd have to do a search of throttle body threads. I still think the SCJ monoblade will flow an appreciable amount more than the VMP 72mm twin.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Somebody did do a flow test one time between the CJ 65mm twin and the SCJ monoblade. The difference was +/-300 CFM, if I recall correctly. You'd have to do a search of throttle body threads. I still think the SCJ monoblade will flow an appreciable amount more than the VMP 72mm twin.
Let's assume the 300 cfm difference. If we take the area of the 65mm CJ twin and 72mm twin jet, the larger throttle body would have about 24% greater area, less the throttle shaft areas. If the SCJ mono is said to flow 1,797 cfm, that would mean the 65mm CJ twin would flow 1,497 cfm, or thereabouts. So if the that 1.24 difference is applied to 1,497, you'd get 1,826. I wouldn't say that's appreciable. I'd say it's head to head.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I'm installing the L&M 72mm Dual TB w Whipple 2.9 on my 13' in 2-weeks. I chose it for overall max airflow/power and the positive feedback on the relatively better driveability of Dual TB's.

cbc42479211647eeed743d371095341c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paluka21

Established Member
VMP 's Twin 67 was said to flow within 50 cfm of the Cobra jet mono, so the 72 should outflow the Cobra jet.

That may be a fair assumption.
I did notice that VMP stated port matching may be required, so using an XBA elbow or other ported elbow should suffice on a stock blower I would assume? Unless then the blower inlet would be the restriction?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently Ford Performance rates the CJ 65mm at 1,517 CFM and the SCJ mono at 1,797 CFM. Difference is 280 CFM, so that info wasn't far off.

I also came across info that L&M rates its 66mm twin at 2,000 CFM and the 72 mm twin at 2,500 CFM. Clearly they're using a different pressure drop to measure CFM than Ford Performance and everyone else in the industry.

Whipple has a 68mm twin and 71mm twin it rates at 1,630 CFM and 1,755 CFM, respectively.

Kenne Bell rates its 75mm twin at 1,880 CFM. They also indicate the stock TB flows 1,128 CFM.

To put it all in perspective, a TVS with a 2.4" upper, a 15% lower and an engine turning 6,500 rpm (blower rpm of 21,992) would generate 1,786 CFM, which assumes 100% efficiency and that the case and/or elbow can flow that much air.

For the pump gas guys, a TVS with a 2.4" upper, stock lower on an engine turning 6,500 rpm would generate 1,562 CFM. That's not to say a larger twin TB wouldn't make more horsepower than the CJ 65mm, but there comes a point of diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread