Thinking about selling my house. How do you pick a realtor???

Brian97vobra

Established Member
I'm about to graduate next week and that means that within the next 9 months or so i should be able to get a job. So i'd like to put it on the market now. That way if it takes awhile to sell i won't care as opposed to if i waited until it was closer to when i'm actually going to leave Daytona and being stressed out trying to sell the house.
So anyways... My question is how do you know which realtor to pick? I got a real estate magazine today and i was just judging them by their picture, the hot blondes got my nod of approval.:-D But watch their probably brand new in this business or something...:nonono:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why do you want to sell it? Why not hire a real estate agent that handles rentals and rent it out. If you can rent it for what your house payment is you ought to keep it. God aint making anymore dirt.

coreseller

Established Member
RidnRodsLightng said:
for sale by owner...

I've never used a realtor, selling a house on your own is very simple. Most of the legal stuff is handled by the lending institution. 6 to 7% ads up, split the savings with the purchaser.

Adam.L.

Established Member
coreseller said:
I've never used a realtor, selling a house on your own is very simple. Most of the legal stuff is handled by the lending institution. 6 to 7% ads up, split the savings with the purchaser.

Absolutely agree. I'm selling my own home in about a month. After considering the 6% commission (about $15k) I'm definitely selling on my own. I'll be hiring a lawyer to make sure everything is legitimate, but like you said - the lender will cover almost everything.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
My parents are looking to sell their house relatively quickly (being they already bought land in NC to build on) and so they got a very well known realtor in hopes that it will speed up the process.. Keep in mind it isn't only the company you want to consider, but the individual realtor. Some will be much more well known in your area than others.. though by giving it to the more well known ones, you probably are paying a higher commission (for good reason, if they are well known, they are obviously doing SOMETHING right.) I would base it off of how quickly you want to sell it to how much you want to pay in commission and see if you can find a happy medium.. it is something you will want to research in your area and find out who's good at what.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
RDJ said:
Why do you want to sell it? Why not hire a real estate agent that handles rentals and rent it out. If you can rent it for what your house payment is you ought to keep it. God aint making anymore dirt.

This is the best advice so far. Owning a few rental properties is the one of the best things you could do. Granted it is a ways out but once those mortgages are paid off it is money in the bank! -Mat-

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
SVT F15O said:
This is the best advice so far. Owning a few rental properties is the one of the best things you could do. Granted it is a ways out but once those mortgages are paid off it is money in the bank! -Mat-

x2, but its only a good idea if you can pick up the slack should you not have RELIABLE tenants. You need some disposable income to be able to afford to do the rental thing because if you don't have it rented for a month, or if your tenants screw you.. you need to have something to fall back on or your credit will go to shit very quickly.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
If you want to go with a realtor....Remember you always get what you payfor. If you go with a local discount realtor then your house will likely be advertised within the local area only. If you go with a National realtor you will pay a higher commission rate but the home will be advertised nationaly. This is good for people that are relocating with the assistance of a realtor. Your house will be shown to them and pushed above others on the MLS. Remember. Realtors want a quick sell too. It is my experience they will try to negotiate the lowest sale price you are willing to accept when they add it to the MLS. So if when they look at your house they want to put it up for lets say 325k. If you can deal with the number they give you then go for it. Your home will probably sell very quick. If you have some time make them come up a bit and work to sell your home. After all you are paying them a large some of money.

Brian97vobra

Established Member
I called up one lady and she did some research on houses in my area and what they sold for. I originally told her i thought my house was worth $230k but she called me back yesterday and said that $225k would be a good number.
Anyways i'm supposed to meet up with her tomorrow to go over some further details. But she told me that she charges 6%, which would be about $13,500!!!! Then she would have open houses, and market the house on their website and advertise it in the local realestate magazines and newspaper.
Doing the for sale by owner thing sounds a lot more tempting in order to save all that commission money. But i'm just worried about a lot of people not seeing it because it won't be on MLS or anything that other realtors can guide their clients to??? Also is it a lot of hard work or is it similar to selling your own used car?

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
ill recommend the same thing i would recommend for selling a car.. if you have a bit of time, i would try personally first.. list it everywhere you can free.. i imagine there are home buying forums? go to them. put a f/s by owner sign in your yard and hold some open houses.. give it a shot.. nothing to lose! then if it doesnt work as time progresses give a realtor a shot. i would recommend going to a couple open houses held by realtors though just to get a feel for how they hold them so you can replicate it (if you aren't already familiar with the process)

Brian97vobra

Established Member
Here's a pic of my house if anyone is interested! ;-)

22.jpg

Brian97vobra

Established Member
I had a realtor come out to my house the other day. Her computer generated thing said that my house was worth between $216-$230k and she said that she wanted to list it at $219,900. I thought that was way too low! Especially considering that people are gonna want to talk you down. So i said $224,900 which is the same as another realtor suggested but i didn't really get "the vibe" from her so that's why i'm still looking... But with all the fees and commission at 6% i will take a hit of $19,500!!!!!!!!! That's nuts! I mean i'll still make money off the house but wow!!!!:uh oh:
Also she said that i had to pay the Deed stamps and the title insurance search/examination. Both of those totaled up to exactly $3k! Am i really suppose to pay for those or does the buyer? Because i know i had to pay for that when i bought this house last year...:shrug:

Brian97vobra

Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
http://www.assist2sell.com/

They are a realestate company who helps you to sell your house, but they only take a 1-2% commision.

For your location the site would be http://www.wesellflproperties.com/
Its worth to give them a call. I've currently in the market for a house and a lot of the ones I see for sale around here are being listed by Assist 2 Sell.

That's not bad. But i wonder how much they actually help you though???:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread