~Thinking About Swapping Solid Axle for IRS...

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
Hey guys, I've been thinking about swapping over to an IRS setup...I know what most of you will say but keep a few things in mind; my cobra will probably never be launched on slicks, it doesn't make 500lbs of torque and I love twisties...the Irs just seems to make sense to me. I really looking for info/comments from people that have done the swap, ect. What all is needed, thoughts, concerns, ect...it widens the rear by 3/4" each side correct? We can use the stock driveshaft is we use our pinion mount right?.... Also, if any of you guys know of anyone with an irs looking to do this send em my way, I'd be willing to trade my solid 8.8 w/ 373s that is in perfect condition for their irs rearend. Maybe willing to throw in some cash on the deal. Thanks for the help guys! -J.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
32V NACobra said:
Some info on a SN95 swap. Good luck:thumbsup:
What are you talking about there is tons of info about this and its not too hard. And yes you can use your driveshaft in the swap. Do an advanced search using only this section and search irs and youll find quite a few threads. There was a guy that just did one last week

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
A properly set up axle will out perform a pretty much stock IRS.

You can throw some $$$ into the IRS and make it great but IMO it isn't worth it.

This from someone who also loved the twisties.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If you do it, make sure you get that bushing kit from Bruce.
That will make a world of difference.

Stock Cobra IRS=after thought.

Users who are viewing this thread