thinking of becoming a LEO

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
There are plenty of Florida L.E.O.s here. Just post your inquiries here.

Is there a large amount of people who don’t last very long? Are the retirement benefits as good as a firemen? Is it better to work for the city or county ? Do you keep your seniority if you transfer from the sheriffs office to the City/Game warden or another state? How long does a new L.E.O. normally ride along with a experienced L.E.O.? What are good and bad things of being a L.E.O.? Does a L.E.O. have to perform paramedic duty at accents until the paramedics get there ? How thorough is the physical you have to take? Thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Is there a large amount of people who don’t last very long? Are the retirement benefits as good as a firemen? Is it better to work for the city or county ? Do you keep your seniority if you transfer from the sheriffs office to the City/Game warden or another state? How long does a new L.E.O. normally ride along with a experienced L.E.O.? What are good and bad things of being a L.E.O.? Does a L.E.O. have to perform paramedic duty at accents until the paramedics get there ? How thorough is the physical you have to take? Thanks

All of these vary depending on the agency/dept. There is a fair amount of people that decide L.E. is not for them and therefore leave within a few years.

The state retirement is for L.E. and Firefighters are basically the same.

Whether working for the city or county depends on the size of the city. Usually the larger the agency/dept the more support that is available, the better the promotion potential and the availability of equipment, etc.

If you lateral transfer to another dept. you will not likely keep your seniority or rank unless you are upper level management and a deal is struck. In the case of a transfer you want to make sure they are in the same retirement system so that transfers.

If you go to another state your POST certification may not transfer.

Field training with a F.T.O. typically lasts 3 to 6 months depending on the dept.

As to the good and bad things about being a L.E.O. is dependent on the dept/agency and your personality. I suggest you do a few ride-alongs with different depts/agencies.

Unless you are a paramedic and a L.E.O., you wont be performing "medic" duties. Are you expected to render first aid? If you have the equipment and it is safe to do so you should render first aid.

The physical is typically comprehensive as a dept. does not want to spend money training someone that has problems that will hinder their ability to complete the academy and do the job.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
As to the good and bad things about being a L.E.O. is dependent on the dept/agency and your personality. I suggest you do a few ride-alongs with different depts/agencies.

I may try that . I didn't think they would let you go on a ride-along. I will have to look into that. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread