Thinking of going to a 2003 Cobra

mtm87tx

Established Member
Hey guys im not new to the board i used to have a 01 SVT Lightning then i went to my current Mach 1 and now im thinking of going to a 2003 Cobra.

Have a few questions

1. what is the most boost you would run on a Stock fuel system, unported eaton, and stock maf and injectors? what power level would this be and what pulley combination would get me there?

2. i dont have a fortune bc im 18 and convicing my parents to buy the car is enough right now. Basicly i want to do a catback, a CAI, pulley and then of course a tune.

3. How are the mail order tunes in this market compared to dyno tunes? do these guys know there stuff enough to get it right the first time or do you take it to a dyno and adjust from there via email?

The only thing im waiting on is the Insurance company to get back from talking to the underwriters to see if i can get insured in it. if this is the case then im putting my car up for sale and looking for a terminator.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to learning from you guys about these amazing cars :beer:

Venimus03

Established Member
mtm87tx said:
2. i dont have a fortune bc im 18 and convicing my parents to buy the car is enough right now. Basicly i want to do a catback, a CAI, pulley and then of course a tune.

Get a JOB :shrug: :poke:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Well I bought mine bone stock. it put down 393RWHP to the rear bone stock. I have about 750 bucks invested so far and have 447RWHP to the rear and 483RWTQ

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
I know you're not gonna want to hear this but... I say keep your Mach until you finish with school. The mach is a beast itself and its better than having your parents to buy you a new car.

But if you must know then intake, exhaust, pulley and GOOD tune (either mail order or dyno) will put you ar 440rwhp-490rwhp. Once you hit 500rwhp you'll need a new MAF and a bap. Injectors are good till around 550rwhp.

mtm87tx

Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
I know you're not gonna want to hear this but... I say keep your Mach until you finish with school. The mach is a beast itself and its better than having your parents to buy you a new car.

But if you must know then intake, exhaust, pulley and GOOD tune (either mail order or dyno) will put you ar 440rwhp-490rwhp. Once you hit 500rwhp you'll need a new MAF and a bap. Injectors are good till around 550rwhp.

My parents dont care about buying a new car, im just trying to make sure i can get insured in it before i sell my car. i just love the 03 cobra's and have been wanting once since my Lightning, im not sure what changed there mind now but i am going to jump on this opportunity if its there. The mach is a beast but im just looking for more power and for what it would cost to get a mach there is alot more then just buying a Cobra and starting with it all and then some.

I dont want to come off as a spoiled little rich kid that mommy and daddy buy a 400hp car when he's 18. My parents are just car people and accually looking for a car for them as well.

As far as being 18 and in a cobra, my dad has really taught me how to respect a high performance car. Ive grown up watching him race Porsches and Spec racers and started racing 85cc shifter karts myself when i was 15. My parents provided many other ways for me to get my speed fix other than on the street. ive got a few other toys i can go enjoy when im feeling the need to go fast, like my 215hp Supercharged Seadoo RXP or Honda 400ex. Ive had some experience over the last few years but i am really looking forward to getting into the Cobra

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
It's a bad car. I like the Mach's too but I say go with the TERMINATOR. See sig for power levels and such
Exhuast - 590 Installed
Pullies- 450 Self Installed
CAI/Maf 256 Self Instlled
Custom tune 125
Predator 400 Shipped

mtm87tx

Established Member
thats a good looking car. around what kind of boost numbers are you making?

what boost is a 2.93, 2.8, 2.76? what when do you need idler pulleys hear these cars can have some pretty bad belt slip without the proper set up

Last edited:

kit5pt0

Established Member
[

I dont want to come off as a spoiled little rich kid that mommy and daddy buy a 400hp car when he's 18. My parents are just car people and accually looking for a car for them as well.

you are definiely spoiled if your parents buy you an 03 cobra, no way around that one

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
mtm87tx said:
full time student i dont have time
Thats total bs right there. I was a full time student, played Ice Hockey and still found time for work.
But hey man if you can convience your parents to buy you a Cobra thats awesome. Just make sure to get a mail order tune from one of the vendors on here and you won't regret it.

mtm87tx

Established Member
yall are killing me :poke:

ive got a SCT Xcal2 from the mach which i believe i can use on the cobra, who has the best tune to load into it? or am i better off buying there tuner to. how much do they run?

i get to hear back from the insurance company today to see if they will insure me so thats what im waiting for

SpectorV

Established Member
I went to school full time, maintained a 3.5+ gpa, took computer science (not some retarded easy degree) and managed to work 30 hours a week while doing it....

BigOrange

Established Member
I went to school full time (Go Vols), did not work but I did not have a Cobra either. Good luck buying a Cobra. Insur should not be a problem but it may be costly. Sweet Cobra pic SpectorV.

mtm87tx

Established Member
Im working on my Engineering degree, i guess im not working because i dont have to. im sorry this bothers some people but i am on this board to talk about performance mods to a cobra i want, not how much i should work during college or why i shouldnt get a Cobra bc im only 18.

Now back to Cobra's what is a good amount of boost to run on a stock eaton? i will do idler pulleys so i can eliminate some belt slip my goal for this car for the time being is ~450rwhp

BigOrange

Established Member
2.8 Pulley with a ported Eaton. I sent mine to Apten when my car had 200 miles on her. They will port your SC and install the pulley...make sure you get the idler...I didn't and my belt would slip bad. Cost was around $600 but that was back in late 04. Make sure you have a new program in the car!!!!!! You do realize that a goal of only 450rwhp will not last long? I have since sold my 04 475wrhp Cobra and bought a 03 630rwhp Cobra (with only 1,400 miles). You'll want her to be faster, especially when you can't outrun (from a stop anyway) a much lighter Z06 with a good driver.

mtm87tx

Established Member
i relieze i will want more in the future but i figured this was a good place to start. eventually i would want to do more but i need to find a car first

kit5pt0

Established Member
how about you just give me the mach 1, and then talk your parents into getting you a 03 cobra. then i can sell my 97 and the mach 1 and get a terminator

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
WizardsCobra said:
Thats total bs right there. I was a full time student, played Ice Hockey and still found time for work.
But hey man if you can convience your parents to buy you a Cobra thats awesome. Just make sure to get a mail order tune from one of the vendors on here and you won't regret it.
depends on your program... i am fulltime 28 credit hours in a graduate program, It is hard to make time for a crap let alone anything else sometimes... although i have two tests monday tuesday i am goint to the nmra race at bradenton this weekend :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread