Thinking of using crown vic as donor car for '47 delivery

NIXDSG

Established Member
I have a 1947 ford delivery couple that I'm wanting to make drive worthy. The body is mostly ruse free and I have two frames for it. The frame is weak C channel, the suspension is horrible, brakes are wooden. Thinking of putting a crown vic under it to gain a frame, suspension, brakes, and maybe the engine. Not looking to make a race car, 300 to 400 hp range to make it fun to drive. Will not "restore" the car, would never be worth it, just looking for a project and have a fun car.

Is a crown vic the right donor car? Are there better options??

01yellercobra

Established Member
It seems the Crown Vic front end is the new Mustang II swap. I saw a few at the last show I was at. How close is the wheel base to what you need?

Side note, at the last show I was at there was a 69 Ford truck body swapped onto an 01 Lightning chassis. He even used the Lightning interior. It was nice.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Years ago a coworker did a Chevy S10 frame onto a maybe Dodge Business Coupe.

Apparently the S10 frames where poplar for these old cars because you could pick one up for $1000 and had access to a huge Aftermarket of lowering kits and suspension upgrades.

Someone else once uses a G-body for something, can't remember.

There is General Lee stunt clone out there riding a Vic chassis.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
03+ crown vics are very popular for street trucks and other chassis swaps, tons of companies are making parts for this platform specifically due to the popularity. Baer came out with a new BBK, Wilwood has their own, Ridetech has coilovers.

If you go this route you want to look for 2003-2011, 2002 and older cars are very different underneath, the rear ends are similar but the fronts are straight up 1970's right down to the steering gear. 2003-2005 had aluminum lower front control arms and forged steel uppers, in 2006 they went to boxed steel all up front. You should still be able to get 03-05 factory style aftermarket units though.

Users who are viewing this thread