thinking on about getting an L

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
i am thinking aboout getting an L for another daily driver and was wondering anything i need to look out for and the pros and cons about the truck, my first car was a 79 ranchero and iv been looking for a truck and i think this would be it if i were to get another truck. thanx in advance anything i need to know about the truck would be greatly appracited :coolman:

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
blackmagicmach said:
i am thinking aboout getting an L for another daily driver and was wondering anything i need to look out for and the pros and cons about the truck, my first car was a 79 ranchero and iv been looking for a truck and i think this would be it if i were to get another truck. thanx in advance anything i need to know about the truck would be greatly appracited :coolman:

Cons for me thus far are traction. I have 20's with shitty Falken tires and I cant hook up at ALL. I was going about 45-50mph on the onramp the other day and almost lost it because I punched it (really didnt think it would spin the tires at that speed... even wet! keeping in mind my L is almost BONE stock) if you get an L be *very* careful until you know exactley what it will do (from experiance) then rock and roll.

Con: Gas mileage, but we all knew it was gonna blow and I dont drive mine every day , even though I thought I would... so it aint an issue at all I guess. Just dont expect a sipper and you will be good.

Pros are just about everything you might expect out of a nice sport truck. Fast, purdy, stops well... basically all performance catagories are covered pretty well and there is a pretty good aftermarket for making improvements on anything you may feel it lacks.

Also the trucks themselves are a very good bargain imo. Hard to go wrong unless the motor blows up right after you buy it! Not likely but it has happened.

And why does he ask about more pics of those chicks? You're kidding right? You want help? Youll post those up. :beer:

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
There are so many pros I can't list them all

The only con is: THAT YOUR WALLET WILL HATE YOU :-D

Once you start modding this truck it is hard to stop becuase they take to bolt-ons very well.

00blacksvtl

Established Member
I love my L, its the best vehicle purchase I have made. Makes me grin everytime I put it to the tin. Gas mileage is the only thing I can think of that would be considered a con.

Better buy it you'll love it

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I am considering trading my Cobra for an L...

Are the spark plug problems with the 02 as prevalent as I think, or have I been led to believe the problem is worse than it really is? Is there a fix? Or should I just stick to 03/04 L's?

Sorry for the hijack

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
My advice, stop thinking and do. You will not regret it. I have only enjoyed one other vehicle that I have owned as much as my L and that was my first car (68 Chevelle)......I have had quite a few nice cars so that says allot for the L.
The only "con" that I find with it, is the lack of space in the cab. If they made it an extended cab (not the 4 door ones, just the bigger cab), it would be perfect.
The only mods I have done so far is a oil separator, JLP cold air and FTVB. Those are enough for me, for now. I also recommend a stereo upgrade. SVT didn't really do much for us in the tunes section.

00blacksvtl

Established Member
Juice33 said:
I am considering trading my Cobra for an L...

Are the spark plug problems with the 02 as prevalent as I think, or have I been led to believe the problem is worse than it really is? Is there a fix? Or should I just stick to 03/04 L's?

Sorry for the hijack

I've never spit a plug, they do make an insert to fix the plug threads that isnt to expensive of a fix.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I've spit a plug. The only FIX is a new head. I think the rest of the stuff is just bandaids, unless you have the heads at a machine shop for inserts.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
do not hesitate on the L. People say the only CON is the gas mileage...they are right but that is only because they keep their foot to the floor....that is the problem with the gas mileage. But there is one major CON for these trucks...they spend a lot of time in the garage not being able to be driven for one reason....TOO MANY MODS AND NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

p.s. I have mine for sale just a little hint :p

TXRickC

Established Member
Keep the Lightning simple and don't get carried away with mods
They are great minus the fuel consumption :)

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
heres another pic, a more pro shot

blkmagicmach.jpg

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I've spit a plug. The only FIX is a new head. I think the rest of the stuff is just bandaids, unless you have the heads at a machine shop for inserts.

How much do new heads cost? And how much more damage (besides neding new heads) was caused by spitting the plug?

Users who are viewing this thread