thinking on buying a lightning that i saw

javis

Established Member
hello all, im thinking on buying a 2001 ford lightning. i have an 03 mach 1 and im not familiar with the lightning as much a i would want to. what would i look for? should i take it to a mechanic and have them look for problems?
Thanks

slingshot

Established Member
Go completely over it yourself... top and bottom. I splurged and had a compression test and leakdown done at a reputable shop. No way I'm buying an 8 yr old supercharged vehicle without it--but that's just me.

javis

Established Member
thats the same thing i was thinking on doing. i apreciate that. is there a lot of difference between the 01 and 03-04 lightnings?? i ve heard that the quality on the 03s and 04s are much better. is that right?

8URZR1

Established Member
thats the same thing i was thinking on doing. i apreciate that. is there a lot of difference between the 01 and 03-04 lightnings?? i ve heard that the quality on the 03s and 04s are much better. is that right?

the quality in the 03-04 lightnings is better. one of the reasons is because of the revised cylinder heads. I currently have an 03 oxford white lightning with 22k miles on it bro. hit me up @ 903-714-6075 for pics I'm asking $21k obo

javis

Established Member
sounds like you have an amazing truck bro but i dont want to spend that much of money, im sure is well worth it but im looking to spend aroud 13k. i just bought my house and i have to have some money in reserve. thanks for your input

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
Check upper and lower pulley sizes, check spark plug holes for helicoil or other sh*tty repair work. 99- early 03s have 4 spark plug threads per plug and are prone to shooting out and some people like to have them repaired the cheap way which you will have to fix later. That would give you the biggest headache when buying a used Lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread