Third Brake Light LED's Out

JRH2592

Established Member
Hey all, I just picked up an '04 Oxford White Cobra a few weeks ago and I am beginning to address some issues. A few LED's are burnt out in the factory third brake light. I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the LED's on their third brake light? It would be really great if I could repair the stock one instead of shelling out over $200 for the AM replica.

Thanks for your help in advance!

mr. b_98GT

Established Member
Could be wrong, but I don't think you can change out the LED's. At least, I've never seen anyone try it and post it up.

FYI, the 03-04 Cobra Brake Light AM sells is OEM Ford. I don't think anyone has made an aftermarket brake light for our cars yet.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I did this to mine a few yaers back with no issues at this point. The light is sealed closed form the factory. You will need a dremel to cut it open. If you pull the light out you will see the factory seam right in the middle of the housing all around, if i remember well. That's where you need to cut very slowly. After you cut you can remove the led board and look for the burned out ones. They are clear and you can see that the ones burned usually have a black spot deep inside them. Desolder, resolder and use some type of epoxy glue and silicone over the seam to reseal the housing real good. It's easier than you think to fix it.

JRH2592

Established Member
Thanks for the tips redfire! I will try to tackle it this upcoming weekend. Do you know what type of LED you used? Something I could pick up from RadioShack?

Last edited:

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Radioshack should have them . I personally had an old third brake light from a Chevy astro van and pulled some leds off of that one. In the Cobra i think the leds are in series of 6, so if you have more that are not working they are not necessarily burned.

Users who are viewing this thread