this cant be normal?

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
I'm building a 306 right now and it's been coming along steady. I plan on using the stock oil pump, but noticed something odd while looking through my breakdown pics, and the actual part itself. There seems to be a kink on the pickup. From all other angles it looks normal, but from up front it looks bent or something. Its not actually bent, but formed really weird. I dont know what to think of it.....

It circled in yellow on the bottom

DSCF0092-1.jpg

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
yep, i looked into it more today...kinda weird. I dropped the distributor in and the pump works great. Heres a quick preview of whats going on

DSCF0127.jpg

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
this is going in the cobra. Its a little 306 with a vortech.

while im here, I might as see if you guys can give me a good cam recommendation. I originally planned on an f303 with 1.6 rollers, but am not sure if that is the best combo. I'm keeping the stock heads and intake

buddha93

Established Member
I ran an X-303 on a 306 combination I had years ago with a set of Edelbrock 6037's and a GT-40 intake. It worked well NA runnng 12.80, and went 11 oh's when I put a Procharger on it.........should have gone high 10's with a little suspension tweaking.

SRV1

Established Member
I'm building a 306 right now and it's been coming along steady. I plan on using the stock oil pump, but noticed something odd while looking through my breakdown pics, and the actual part itself. There seems to be a kink on the pickup. From all other angles it looks normal, but from up front it looks bent or something. Its not actually bent, but formed really weird. I dont know what to think of it.....

It circled in yellow on the bottom

So you are going to reuse the old oil pump?

carguy19

Established Member
this is going in the cobra. Its a little 306 with a vortech.

while im here, I might as see if you guys can give me a good cam recommendation. I originally planned on an f303 with 1.6 rollers, but am not sure if that is the best combo. I'm keeping the stock heads and intake

My opinion is that for the extra 100-150 bucks you go with a custom from Jay Allen or FTI.

It will be designed for your application and might be worth .4-.5 at the track because it was designed for you, not an off the shelf part.

mgmustang1

Established Member
What about anderson fords cams? also get a new oil pump, there cheap enough through frpp.

670 of 4993

Head Colostomizer
Established Member
I ended up keeping the stock oil pump and pickup, just cleaned them up really nice. I also did go with the f-cam.

The car runs pretty well, just needs a new water pump gasket and a tune.

I was really surprised to see how bad the fel pro set I used was. Between the water pump and thermostat gaskets not sealing/blowing out I was pretty disappointed. Either way, the cars 95% done in my eyes

Users who are viewing this thread