This Christmas will be 4 years since mom died from cancer, now my dad has it

April

Established Member
Well, as most of you know, my mom died from cancer on Christmas almost 4 years ago. My dad had a stroke about 4 months ago and while my sister and I were there, we told them to check the 4 or 5 lumps on his back. They said they were fine, and from past experience with my mother, I completely despise doctors now. So we thought it was fine, my dad is 70, so things like lumps and stuff are expected. Since his stroke he has had all of the symptoms for him to have another one and his blood pressure is crazy. We finally talked them into taking the lump off and doing a biopsy, the results came in today, and he has Melanoma. I am not too familiar with this type of cancer. They say they can get it all, but they said the same with my mother so I am not confident in them although these are all different doctors. I am just too young to have lost both of my parents and I really cannot deal with this right now. Sorry for the long post guys I just needed to vent.

Keep us in your prayers please

April

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Hang in there April. I lost my mother to cancer less than a year ago, so I know how you feel. My father has had multiple bouts with Melanoma and is still alive and kicking. Early detection with that stuff is key, and in most cases it is pretty easily taken care of. Keep you're head up. You're in my prayers.....

Last edited:

April

Established Member
Well, the problem is my dad is hard headed and he had had the lumps for like 10 years, a long time ago they took one off and tested and said it was non cancerous but now they are saying its cancer, so he could have had it for 10 years, who knows :shrug: :nonono:

qwikhuh

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that. My grandfather was diagnosed with Melanoma 15 years ago and told he had 6-8 months to live. We took him to the one of the best cancer reasearch institutes in the county and they performed a small surgery and he is celebrating his 90th birthday next month. It is very treatable but he has to get it taken care of ASAP.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Keep your head up hopefully everything will work out. You could look at it like he's closer to being reunited with his sweetheart.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
My best to you and your family through tough times. My father has had some tough times as well and survived prostate cancer. Hang tough and try to keep his spirits up. He will need your strength to over come his challenges.

Chris@BAP

Established Member
Stay strong and help him keep a positive attitude... being head strong is have the battle. My Grandfather is 81 and has had bouts with Melanoma and he is doing well. Stay strong.

TRBO VNM

sorry to hear April. I know how you feel since my grandmother just died of cancer a couple weeks ago now. prayers are with you and your family.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Both my Father and my Uncle have had Melanoma. Both are fine now, several years without relapse. Hopefully you will be as fortunate.

April

Established Member
Yea they seem to think everything will be fine also. I just do not know how they can tell how bad it is, I read a bunch online, its from the sun it seems, and my dad has been one of those old men that always had to work out in the sun with no shirt on every day of his life :nonono:. He is ok with it now though thank god, I assured him it was nothing like mom's cancer and its treated very easily, and everyone I talked about the cancer and survival including you guys gives me a ton of hope!!! He goes to get the rest of them cut out soon.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers guys :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread