this dealer is advertising @ sticker price....

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
They all will charge more if they can get more, its just supply and demand.

I thought this was taught in school.

Thus the price of gas forever changing !

More goes into the price of gas than just supply and demand. Political climates, fears, etc... play a big role. The supply of gas is similar as it was two years ago, but fears over war, problems with IRAN, etc... have driven the prices up (even though the supply has yet to change). biggest item affecting cost of oil is FEAR of not having enough, not what actually is occuring.

GTWill

Established Member
Some of you guys talk like it's only Ford. They all price gouge. The only way to really get even is to never purchase another vehicle. Bottled water to this car is not a valid comparison. One is a necessity while the other is a luxury.

Wild Bill

Established Member
drmustang said:
I really hope that you are correct about this. The avaricious practices and general arrogance of many Ford retailers is more than enough to drive a GT500 buyer over to the bow tie guys and right into a C6 with a $5,000 discount. How many initial T-Bird buyers went the same route when faced with their dealers mindless "gimmie al your money now" mentality. Remember those cars?
Oh yeah the T-bird,now that was a decent vehical waaaay overpriced!Should have been like 30k for them they would have sold like hotcakes.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Pegilyn said:
you gotta love the guys that stick up for price gouging.

I think you may be confusing "sticking up for price gouging" with acceptance of modern day Economics? :shrug:

My Buddy Sid said it pretty well:

SID297 said:
We all know that the cars are selling for well above the sticker price, this is known as economics.
Thanks,

SID297

We don't like it! (Who would, really) We don't approve of it either. But it MUST be accepted because that's is how the "supply and demand" system works! If one million people want one single item, you can rest assured the price will be astronomical!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Wild Bill

Established Member
GTWill said:
Some of you guys talk like it's only Ford. They all price gouge. The only way to really get even is to never purchase another vehicle. Bottled water to this car is not a valid comparison. One is a necessity while the other is a luxury.
If Im buying something from an authorized dealer or vendor then I expect to pay msrp for it.Compairing a new car sold at a dealership vs a person selling their house is rediculous.So people were selling their xbox 360s for $1000+,who cares?more power to them.Now if a store was trying to sell their xbox 360s for anyting over msrp then I have a big problem with that.Imagine if movie theaters charged double for a really hot movie.So you wouldnt be boiling mad if you walked into the only gas station for miles having run out of gas only to find a guy that wanted to charge you $50/gal and $100 for the can.It would be his right after all.If you had to pay it would you ever do buisness with him again? (Aside from throwing a brick through his window) Well thats how many of us feel about dealership price gouging...they are scumbags! :bash:

GTWill

Established Member
Pegilyn said:
If Im buying something from an authorized dealer or vendor then I expect to pay msrp for it.Compairing a new car sold at a dealership vs a person selling their house is rediculous.So people were selling their xbox 360s for $1000+,who cares?more power to them.Now if a store was trying to sell their xbox 360s for anyting over msrp then I have a big problem with that.Imagine if movie theaters charged double for a really hot movie.So you wouldnt be boiling mad if you walked into the only gas station for miles having run out of gas only to find a guy that wanted to charge you $50/gal and $100 for the can.It would be his right after all.If you had to pay it would you ever do buisness with him again? (Aside from throwing a brick through his window) Well thats how many of us feel about dealership price gouging...they are scumbags! :bash:
Pegilyn you are in lala land. Again this car is not a necessity. Call it gouging if you want but I call it supply and demand. There are laws against the price gouging you mentioned, therefore it wouldn't "be his right" to sell gas at a marked up price it would be illegal. Those laws are there for a reason. MSRP mean absolutely nothing. Unlike you when I walk into a dealership I expect to pay less than MSRP so I don't walk in until thats possible.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Let us not forget what MSRP stands for..."Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price."

Although I despise the ADM's...the fact remains that the sticker price is a recommendation. It is a baseline in which the negotiation process begins.

We don't hear alot of complaining when buyers get deals under MSRP...so we need to understand the economic dynamic here and accept both sides of the scenario.

Terminator

Established Member
Snakebite said:
We don't hear alot of complaining when buyers get deals under MSRP...so we need to understand the economic dynamic here and accept both sides of the scenario.

UNFORTUNATELY that will never happen.

gotwood

Established Member
Look guys,It is quite simple. If you dont like the price/product, you dont buy it. I like the GT500, however, I dont need it to survive. I would love to have one, but the price is unreasonable for what it is. So, I am willing to wait a few years to pick one up on the cheap just as I did with my 03 Cobra which had 2000 miles and I paid $27k for. If I cant pick up one this way, then I just will not buy one. Call me what you will, I just hate to waste money, and lets face it, these things are not Micky Mantle baseball cards!

03'Darin

Established Member
I've sat back and read the countless threads about the GT500 price gouging by the dealers and just kept my mounth shut. Being a salesman for a Ford dealership now for almost 20 years I'vee seen this happen a couple of times. One simple thing I'll say...... if we're supposed to sell for MSRP, then you should pay MSRP for EVERYTHING. It's ok for us to sell 90% of our product for invoice or close to it when you want to buy it, but now that we have a limited supply/high demand vehicle we shouldn't be able to charge more than MSRP????

Every company that's out there goes through similar situations to this. You have a high demand/low availability unit, it sells for more money. Supply starts getting closer to demand and the price comes down. Supply gets equal to or higher than demand and the price gets real cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have enough of these cars to meet demand. I love selling cars like this. I'd rather sell 20 cars for MSRP, than 3 for 10 over. But it is what it is until Ford builds more.... If you aren't willing to pay over MSRP just hang in there a little while. The # of people that want the car NOW and are willing to pay market price are limited.

On another note does anyone know of headers being available for these cars yet? One of our customers wants to do a complete exhaust on his cars and I told him I'd check in to it.

Darin

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Terminator said:
If you are speaking of the Shelby...you are wrong. But to be clear, I was refering to all car deals in general. Across the board, very few cars are sold over MSRP...a minute percentage compared to those vehicles sold under sticker. Again, I don't like it, but it works both ways when we deal with suggested pricing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Terminator said:

msrp is available today from a few dealerships around the nation. yes the gt500 will be selling for less than msrp by the 3rd and 4th years of production and probably sooner. :rockon:

gotwood said:
Look guys,It is quite simple. If you dont like the price/product, you dont buy it. I like the GT500, however, I dont need it to survive. I would love to have one, but the price is unreasonable for what it is. So, I am willing to wait a few years to pick one up on the cheap just as I did with my 03 Cobra which had 2000 miles and I paid $27k for. If I cant pick up one this way, then I just will not buy one.

exactly! +1 :beer:

03'Darin said:
It's ok for us to sell 90% of our product for invoice or close to it when you want to buy it, but now that we have a limited supply/high demand vehicle we shouldn't be able to charge more than MSRP????

Every company that's out there goes through similar situations to this. You have a high demand/low availability unit, it sells for more money. Supply starts getting closer to demand and the price comes down. Supply gets equal to or higher than demand and the price gets real cheap..

agreed. the thing i cant stand is when salesmen and dealerships flat out lie to your face about production or allocation to thier dealerships. just to jack up the price. saying it will be above msrp on our first 10 cars over a year, year and a half and then things will start to settle down to msrp. ok.
saying we are getting one and ford is only making the car this year. is not ok.

03'Darin said:
On another note does anyone know of headers being available for these cars yet? One of our customers wants to do a complete exhaust on his cars and I told him I'd check in to it.

call around to some of the major manufactuers, like kooks, hooker, etc. they will give you a good idea when they will hit the market place. there will be a ton out there by the time sema 06 hits in early nov. if anyone ever gets a chance go check out sema, its a great trade show and far better than any auto show i have been to. :beer:

03'Darin

Established Member
I'll have the customer do that if I can't locate any info for him. I was just trying to help find a good deal on a good product. He's going to buy the part direct from the seller.

I've been to SEMA a couple of times, it's an awesome show. If my free time wasn't such a factor I would go every year.

Darin

Last edited:

Terminator

Established Member
Snakebite said:
If you are speaking of the Shelby...you are wrong. But to be clear, I was refering to all car deals in general. Across the board, very few cars are sold over MSRP...a minute percentage compared to those vehicles sold under sticker. Again, I don't like it, but it works both ways when we deal with suggested pricing.

I didn't make myself clear, my fault. What I meant was that most people don't accept both scenario's.

ON D BIT said:
msrp is available today from a few dealerships around the nation. yes the gt500 will be selling for less than msrp by the 3rd and 4th years of production and probably sooner. :rockon:

I will be surprised if the ADM last longer than MY07.

Last edited:

Zalec

Established Member
Snakebite said:
Wishful thinking...but it's a classic bait & switch. :rollseyes

I called "Guy" and inquired about this car...to which he replied..."That price is the sticker price...not the price it is selling for."
He said bids over MSRP are being entertained and are currently up around 15k over.

wouldnt that equal false advertisement and a law suit?

Wild Bill

Established Member
GTWill said:
Pegilyn you are in lala land. Again this car is not a necessity. Call it gouging if you want but I call it supply and demand. There are laws against the price gouging you mentioned, therefore it wouldn't "be his right" to sell gas at a marked up price it would be illegal. Those laws are there for a reason. MSRP mean absolutely nothing. Unlike you when I walk into a dealership I expect to pay less than MSRP so I don't walk in until thats possible.
:dw: Im in la la land?Why because I diagree with these rip off artists?I know its become a fact of life lately and Im voicing my opinion about it.Lots of people disagree with this are you saying we are all out of touch with reality because we dont agree with you?So it would be ok with you that if every new product that came out was marked up like this?Here are 2 very hot products that came out last year that despite their limited supply and great demand sold at msrp the i pod and xbox 360.Thank goodness the retailers had more class than these car dealers.Around here they do this thing called a dessert protection treatment on your car for like $1200,I call it a coat of wax when I do it.
Why do you presume to know what I expect to pay when I walk into a dealership?On the contrary,everything I've posted points to the exact opposite of your statement.
If you feel the need to get in the last word and respond to this then "its your right" but I dont really want to take this any further with you.Everything you said is understood I just dont agree.

Users who are viewing this thread