This guy should get a reward.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Like a baus. I don't think it would have helped much in Colorado though because he had full body armor including neck and groin. Only a well place head shot would have helped.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Like a baus. I don't think it would have helped much in Colorado though because he had full body armor including neck and groin. Only a well place head shot would have helped.

So tired of this bullshit. Shock plates in bullet resistant vests are designed to prevent penetration of the projectile. However the kinetic energy of the projectile does not evaporate. It is transferred into the trauma plates and dispersed across a wider area. The best description I've heard of taking a round into a plate is that it feels like getting hit with a sledge hammer. The kinetic energy that is transferred to the body from the projectile will still often break ribs, knock the wind out, and leave tremendous bruising. It ain't like the damn movies where people take seventy eight rounds and laugh about it as they peel off their vest once the bad guy is dead.
I'm not trying to coulda woulda shoulda the situation in Colorado. Just saying people act like he rode in in a damn m1 Abrams because he had on a vest. He'd have known it if he caught a round. Two or three would have put him down.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So tired of this bullshit. Shock plates in bullet resistant vests are designed to prevent penetration of the projectile. However the kinetic energy of the projectile does not evaporate. It is transferred into the trauma plates and dispersed across a wider area. The best description I've heard of taking a round into a plate is that it feels like getting hit with a sledge hammer. The kinetic energy that is transferred to the body from the projectile will still often break ribs, knock the wind out, and leave tremendous bruising. It ain't like the damn movies where people take seventy eight rounds and laugh about it as they peel off their vest once the bad guy is dead.
I'm not trying to coulda woulda shoulda the situation in Colorado. Just saying people act like he rode in in a damn m1 Abrams because he had on a vest. He'd have known it if he caught a round. Two or three would have put him down.
I beg to differ... the rounds most people carry including a uniformed officers duty weapon are not of sufficient velocity to break ribs on a person wearing today's advanced armor. They may flinch, but it won't stop 'em. Did you ever see the video footage of the shootout between hundreds of cops and just two bank robbers in the North Hollywood a few years back?

[Youtube_Browser]tsOWSDtxERU[/Youtube_Browser]

.357 point blank doesn't even make this guy flinch...

[Youtube_Browser]8HP62Doe3Ak[/Youtube_Browser]

You need a very high velocity round to get through body armor and that's not something most people carry to the theater with them... including the cops responding.

U.M.

Last edited:

jf4boogie

Established Member
I beg to differ... the rounds most people carry including a uniformed officers duty weapon are not of sufficient velocity to break ribs on a person wearing today's advanced armor. They may flinch, but it won't stop 'em. Did you ever see the video footage of the shootout between hundreds of cops and just two bank robbers in the North Hollywood a few years back?

You need a very high velocity round to get through body armor and that's not something most people carry to the theater with them... including the cops responding.

U.M.

In all fairness, wasn't it reported that the bank robbers actually had on complete custom armor w/ extra padding, etc.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member

This is true... a typical concealed carry round is 9mm .45 ACP .40 S&W or maybe a .38. If you get hit while wearing body armor you will be knocked back and briefly lose focus. No, It won't kill you if the round hits a protected area, but it will slow you down. A couple of good shots and a the shooter could have been overcome by a brave citizen.

Ever since I read about the tragic shooting, I've been thinking that there should have been someone carrying who could have stopped the carnage. Had I been in the theater and carrying I hope I would have tried.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Not to mention the fear of being shot at. Just because he was doing the shooting doesn't mean he was immune to the fear of being shot at.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Hitting the guy once should be enough to stun him and at that point keep putting rounds into him until you get close enough for a kill shot.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
What kind of body armor was the Dark Knight killer wearing?

U.M.

That is the $64000 question that every armchair assassin (myself included) would love to know. I am willing to bet however that it would not have taken half a dozen 300 grain rounds from a 50 action express pushing 1500+ ft-lbs of energy to knock him off his stride.
In the end, we all debate that scenario because each of us wishes somehow someone would have acted to stop him before a single life was lost. So many people are hanging their hat on all the advantages he had in the situation because it makes it easier to swallow the fact that no one did anything at all. Focusing on his tactical advantages softens the reality check of the fact that people were helplessly slaughtered like sheep and not one person attempted to stop him.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
As heroic as this might have been, what if the robbers had returned fire? In this situation, lives and money were saved and two criminals were scared off. If the suspects had returned fire we would've been watching a video of many people shot and maybe killed.

The world is full of ifs.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
How many threads are needed to rehash this?
Excellent question especially since the video the op posted has been posted about a dozen time already. So basically what we have in this stupid thread is a rehash of a reposted repost.

Users who are viewing this thread