This is going to be a tough one!!! Experienced mechanics in here!!!

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
Okay, I'm no noob to this stuff, I been working on these trucks and all ford late model stuff for years, but this has got me baffled.

I bought a wrecked L, not a big deal, I have fixed tons of wrecks.

When you start the truck it idles up for a split second then dies.
Sometimes it catches itself and idles up again or idles rough for a few seconds then dies.
If you put your foot on the throttle when you start it, it will start up and rev then will die immediately.
I thought that there may be a connection issue with a fuel pump but that looks good, checked the IAC also good, changed both fuel pump relays, and looked over every bit of wiring that I can.
There are no codes in the truck except for the seat belts and the passenger air bag because I haven't replaced them yet.

So, I'm down to thinking that the fuel filter may be clogged or :shrug:

Let me know what you think, I'm about stumped!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The 620 ohm resistor in the front for the pumps is cracked and or damaged. It's behind the front bumper cover on the drivers side and looks like a white horseshoe.

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
Since I didn't have the fuel pump resistor on it in the first place that would be it.... I didn't realize it had anything to do with the fuel pumps, thought it was for the intercooler pump since it is on the same bracket. Oh well, it runs like a champ now. Thanks so much guys.... I owe you a beer! Now I'm just down to painting the front end and getting it aligned. Happy day!!! :banana:

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
I didn't remove it just to get rid of it... I just hadn't put it back on the truck yet. There is no bumper headerpanel, grill or headlights in the truck either.

Users who are viewing this thread