This is why I'm getting a new tune

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You can get away with 12.0 + but you had better be on E85. Pump gas no way.

More reasons to run the liquid gold :rolling::rockon:

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
I wish brother, but I've got no E85 around me.

Went ahead and threw the other tune on it, hopefully nothing is too messed up on her. I'll let you all know how it goes Friday.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Wow, I cannot believe they continued that pull. So happy I did not choose that shop when I was looking for a tuner. Good luck and hopefully they didn't torch your motor with that pull.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
The shop I took the car to to get dyno'd at is a very reputable one and the tuner there has tuned just about everything. While I was there they had a twin turbo Cobra build, single turbo Cobra build, LS1 swapped 66 corvette, an Aston Martin, and two GTR's. I have faith in their tuner and the rest of the shop to tell me if the car needs to sit or can be driven. The car is only on 15 pounds and compression check is good. The boost spike was due to a slipping belt. I'm going to have this car cleaned up this Friday and it should be.

who is your "reputable" tuner? The first place i ever used(illinois dyno center) told me they had tunes tones of cars, and they had for that matter. But, it still doesn't mean they are very good at it. Needless to say my stock motor melted because of them. Kurgan all the way now.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I know who the tuner is that he is speaking of but I will leave that to Ande99SVT to disclose. They do seem to be tuning a lot of terminators lately but that a/f on that dyno sheet is downright scary. Ande99SVT, if for some crazy reason you do decide to go back there (I wouldn't) then watch them to make sure they are monitoring a/f at all times and cross your fingers.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
I know who the tuner is that he is speaking of but I will leave that to Ande99SVT to disclose. They do seem to be tuning a lot of terminators lately but that a/f on that dyno sheet is downright scary. Ande99SVT, if for some crazy reason you do decide to go back there (I wouldn't) then watch them to make sure they are monitoring a/f at all times and cross your fingers.

The shop that dyno'd the car this time around wasn't the same one who tuned it. That' why I'm headed to this one so they can tune it. I've heard many great things about this shop and their builds so I feel confident bringing it to them.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
The shop that dyno'd the car this time around wasn't the same one who tuned it. That' why I'm headed to this one so they can tune it. I've heard many great things about this shop and their builds so I feel confident bringing it to them.

Ande,

The chart you posted, was that wot pull done in 3rd gear or 2nd? Seems like you car has survived, hopefully there is no damage done to it. Good luck.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member

Cool, well may the horsepower gods be with you and good luck tomorrow. Haven't met you yet but might see you around at a local meet with WOT. :beer:

Ralo

Established Member
Ande,

The chart you posted, was that wot pull done in 3rd gear or 2nd? Seems like you car has survived, hopefully there is no damage done to it. Good luck.

Aren't pulls in these cars in 4th?

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Cool, well may the horsepower gods be with you and good luck tomorrow. Haven't met you yet but might see you around at a local meet with WOT. :beer:

Hah me and the WOT crew don't mix but screamingfast and I are friends. I'd love to check out your ride man.

Getting the car tuned today so let's hope for the best.

Poppacapp

Established Member
The shop I took the car to to get dyno'd at is a very reputable one and the tuner there has tuned just about everything. While I was there they had a twin turbo Cobra build, single turbo Cobra build, LS1 swapped 66 corvette, an Aston Martin, and two GTR's. I have faith in their tuner and the rest of the shop to tell me if the car needs to sit or can be driven. The car is only on 15 pounds and compression check is good. The boost spike was due to a slipping belt. I'm going to have this car cleaned up this Friday and it should be.

Umm.. IMO.. and this is IMO... as soon as the dyno operator saw the lean condition, he should have pulled his foot off the throttle. Not very good....

And a/f should be 11.7:1 range.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I hope you didn't do alot of pulls on this tune, as its a shitty one at that.

I doubt that the tuner hurt the motor since the air fuel is not THAT lean (yes around 12.5-13.0 is lean but its not enough to cause immediate damage IMO). However anything is possible and there might be damage and you might not even know it.
But I do agree that there is no need for ANY tuner to pull it up to 6K if the car is going lean. You see it going lean, let out right away don't stay in it.

Change the plugs asap and get a wideband

His a/f was not 12-13. Look close a the chart... 10 and 20 numbers on the ticks.. he was near 15:1 mid range. Unless I am just too tired after a 14hr workday and am reading it wrong.

Qwk GT

Established Member
did they read the a/f through the tailpipe. I've heard these tend to read a little leaner, so it may not have been a big enough concern for new tuner to shut it down. Maybe he should've, I'm not sure.

I'd be more worried about the multiple pulls you may have done with the spotty tune than the one pull on the dyno.

Either way, like others have said, get it cleaned up and you should be happy. Hopefully nothing got hurt.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I would do a compression and a leakdown test just to see if there is any signs of damage or issues. I had leakdown of 20% in 2 cylinders (5 and 6), the engine ran fine. It did have a slight rough idle, but most Cobras do with colder plugs.

My car still put down 601 RWHP and 584 RWTRQ on the original engine with those cylinders at 20% leakage. The issue was passed the rings. I checked the cylinders with a borescope and all looked great. So either worn rings or those cylinder were slightly out of round.

I just installed a Reman engine and installed some goodies. Will retune after I upgrade my TB and inlet to the mechanical GT500 CJSB stuff from VMP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread