This might be the year...

Vigilante

Established Member
So after everything that has happened since I bought the cobra back in 2010, I think I have scraped together enough money and parts to start the rebuild. Damn its been a long time coming, six long and patient years anyway... The idea is; sometime in the future: turbo. I want to build the short block once and be done. I was hoping for a few thoughts and suggestions while everything is torn apart that will make things better and easier for the future plans, relatively speaking.

I do plan on driving and tracking the car once its built, so any other upgrade suggestions are welcome!

What I have:
Pistons
Rods
Billet Oil Pump
Various EGR/SAI delete plates
All new bolts and gaskets
Battery relocation kit
Money for block honing and getting head work, which by the way, whats a decent price for this?

What I still need:
IMRC deletes, I've heard to remove the butterflies and rods and epoxy the holes. What brand/kind of epoxy? Is someone selling a cheap set that's done? Sadly I don't have $300 to spend on the MMR ones.

MM Full Length Sub Frame Connectors welded in on a drive on lift.

Is the MMR head cooling mod necessary? I've been thinking about buying the kit and throwing it on while the engine is out and apart, but if its not necessary then I can skip it.

Dyno tune or Handheld? I'd prefer dyno, but I'm in Tucson AZ and I don't know what a good price is or if anyone is reputable.

Future Plans:
Aluminum radiator/Fan/Crossover delete
Larger oil pan will be done when I do the K member
Obviously Transmission/RearEnd/Suspension/Fuel/Spark/Turbo, but that's not important right now.

Lastly I had a question about a manual rack and pinion. The best idea I've found is order a manual from RockAuto.com. Good/Bad idea? The flaming River units are nice, but very pricey. If anything I'll leave the power unit in.

Just trying to cover all my bases before I start anything so that once I get going i can finish and be done with it for now and just enjoy it.

Last edited:

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
Sounds cool man, I'm about to start a build similar to yours that I've been waiting on for forever ha. Looks like you've got the big stuff figured out.

Pricing on the machine work will vary depending on the condition of the block and what needs to be done. Be sure to go somewhere that has experience with these blocks and have the required torque plates.

A dyno tune is obviously the better option if you can swing it. You'll get a power/torque benchmark of the freshly rebuilt motor and the tune, especially the timing, will be dialed in more accurately.

Also, I've got a homemade set of IMRC deletes that I'll let go cheap. PM me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread