this sand rail is sick!

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Wouldn't you want to run a good tune to get the most performance out of the engine rather then trying to look cool "rolling coal"?:nonono:

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
Wouldn't you want to run a good tune to get the most performance out of the engine rather then trying to look cool "rolling coal"?:nonono:

You are exactly right. This is what I hate about disiels, they can have the worst tune ever but still run half was decent (not nearly as hard as with a good tune) and the driver thinks they are making power. They are like highschool Honda kids with vtec

96 cobra

Established Member
That engine in an awd buggy would be a beast!

So that pitch black smoke is usually a sign of a less than optimal diesel tune?

KB01GT

Whipple blown
Established Member
Black smoke equals unburnt fuel which equals energy being wasted out the "stack". A diesel making power will smoke but its usually under hard load and lower RPM. They generally clear up once they get into peak boost and get moving.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
That's why I love forums. Guy's running a built duramax pushing 700 hp and probably 1200 ft/lbs minimum which probably costs more than most of the posters cars, yet you're certain he didn't spend the extra grand on a legit tune.

71catruck

Established Member
That's why I love forums. Guy's running a built duramax pushing 700 hp and probably 1200 ft/lbs minimum which probably costs more than most of the posters cars, yet you're certain he didn't spend the extra grand on a legit tune.
I'm positive that guy has a shit tune and is just throwing raw fuel out the stack. It doesn't matter how much power he makes or how much he put into it, he is wasting fuel and power is left on the table. And yes I have experience with diesels and other engines that burn this type of fuel.

Svt4ever22

Established Member
I'm positive that guy has a shit tune and is just throwing raw fuel out the stack. It doesn't matter how much power he makes or how much he put into it, he is wasting fuel and power is left on the table. And yes I have experience with diesels and other engines that burn this type of fuel.

geekornerd.jpg

T_rail94

Established Member

Lol. So you can only talk about someone's vehicle if you own one that's more expensive?

Any rich idiot can build a fast car that would be much better off in the right hands.

Svt4ever22

Established Member
Not exactly sure were your going with that. I guess a pic takes less intelligence than a competent written response.

You don't know anything about Diesels apparently. More smoke = more power. It's just the way diesels are made. Since it's so compressed with the motor and turbo(s) it's just pushing out more PSI which equals smoke. Especially when you don't have DEF Fluid tanks.

71catruck

Established Member
lol your a dumb ass. I wont even entertain the DEF comment, well maybe a little. You said DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) fluid tanks, good job that's one to many tanks. When organic compounds are burned or combusted (pick what ever term you proffer for it doesn't matter) there are a few byproducts that are created. H2O is one and the other that we are concerned with will be CO (carbon monoxide) or CO2 (carbon dioxide). Now why is this important? When your limiting reagent is oxygen then you will get CO2 which will give you the dark black soot/smoke. So yes this mean your air fuel ratio is off and your running to rich and there for you are putting unburden fuel into the air. that is the wasted power.

Svt4ever22

Established Member
lol your a dumb ass. I wont even entertain the DEF comment, well maybe a little. You said DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) fluid tanks, good job that's one to many tanks. When organic compounds are burned or combusted (pick what ever term you proffer for it doesn't matter) there are a few byproducts that are created. H2O is one and the other that we are concerned with will be CO (carbon monoxide) or CO2 (carbon dioxide). Now why is this important? When your limiting reagent is oxygen then you will get CO2 which will give you the dark black soot/smoke. So yes this mean your air fuel ratio is off and your running to rich and there for you are putting unburden fuel into the air. that is the wasted power.

Really, bro? Cause I didn't tune diesel motors for CAT and Rogers Diesel Madness..? The black soot that comes out IS excess fuel, but it's already burned. It's like when you burn popcorn. It turns black but its still there (obviously no good). They are tuned in excess to prevent lean conditions. Us diesel guys had a saying, "Blacker the smoke, The less the motor is choked down and possible have lean condtions". You must be new to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread