Those of you that cut your springs to lower come in here for Q's

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Alright for those of you that havent cut them and are trying to talk me out of it, here is my thought.

I have been only showing the car. I have been picking up spare parts so that i can throw everthing back to stock some day. But I want to cut some stock springs along with a whole host of other parts including valve covers im going to have chromed for showing. Even the exhaust.

I want to cut the stock springs because I picked them up for next to nothing rather than spending $$$ and find out the chrome will flake of some nice steeda ones.

Im trying to get my hands on a spare Drive shaft for polishing and chroming. When they replaced mine for vibe I should have just looked in the garbage when they wouldnt give it to me. Later I will try to pick up a spare IRS and chrome till I run out of money lol.

Those of you that have cut the springs I need to know how much you have cut for front and rear and what the drop u ended with.

If possibly you could send picks of how it looks. I dont want the slammed look just perfect marging in the wheel wells.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

Cobra #2100

Established Member
I did it on my 90lx and it sucks. You have to be so precise and it takes alot of time. If they are spare springs, thats cool.

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
Do not do this. Your suspension dynamics were designed with countless hours of R&D that will be altered dramatically if you simply take a hacksaw to the springs. Buy a proper set of aftermarket springs and make sure to get realigned.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by SnakeSkinner
Do not do this. Your suspension dynamics were designed with countless hours of R&D that will be altered dramatically if you simply take a hacksaw to the springs. Buy a proper set of aftermarket springs and make sure to get realigned.

Not trying to flame you or cut your post but that just isn't true. If you put on any set of lowering springs you are changing the geometry of the control arms, strut angles and steering. With your reasoning, then lowering springs would not be wise. Cutting the springs changes the spring rates and most lowering springs have increased spring rates. The car will not bounce if you don't cut too much. I have lowered several IRS Cobras with K. Brown's and Eibachs and have also cut a few. IMHO, the cut springs are about just as good as smoothness maybe a little rougher. As far as handling, I cut the springs on my 03 and it handled a hell of a lot better than stock. I drove a stock 03 after I had gotten used to my cut springs and I couldn't stand the body roll and understeer on the stock 03 and couldn't wait to get out of it.

I always thought the front on the 03 was fine but the rear was too high. I decided rather than buy a whole set, I would cut the rears. I cut a little too much so I had to cut the fronts to level it out. It looked darn nice. It was about the equivalent of H&R springs. It handled very good and ran like it was on rails. I took 3/4 off the rear and 1/2 half off the fronts. If you can send me an email I can email you a few pics [email protected] I bought a pair of AFS 10.5 wide wheels and put BFG 315 KD's on the rear. The edge of the fender was just to close to the tire for my comfort so I bought the Eibachs to raise it up (hahahaha Eibach). It's really too high in the rear and too low in the front with the Eibachs. The Eibach sure as hell didn't put any R&D in their engineering for the 03 Cobra. They just added th 03/04 to the part number for the 99/01 Cobras that weigh 160#'s less on the nose than the 03/04.

You'll never cut a spring with a hacksaw. Get a cutoff wheel for a grinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad

Banned
Posting this question is a breeding ground for flames! You want the low look, go with H&Rs. We're talking $200 here at most for a good set of springs. People in 80's hondas cut the springs because they don't have the money to do it the right way.

The car will ride like crap and I'm assuming you will not be able to correct the amout of negative camber you're going to create.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Hmm, well if your not going to drive it cut away. but the problem with cutting springs is your obviously shortning the spring but your not changing the spring ratio.

so when you buy aftermarket springs that lower your car there spring ratio is usually different(stiffer) to compensate for the reduced height.

when you cut then you could wind up with a bouncing, poor dampening ride that may bottom out and can wear out your shocks prematurely.

yes cut springs can make the car feel like it handles better then stock but its even better if you do it right.

but like i said if your gonna trailer it from show to show it doesnt really matter i suppose.

mnypit

Established Member
You are going to spend literally thousand of dollars chroming and polishing (what sounds to be everything under the car) and you wont spend $200 to buy a proper set of lowering springs?

Wowee wow wow.

:shrug: :rolleyes:

Steve

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well you guys i new you would blow a lug nut. First of all like i said its more of a test if i like the ride hight and the have had many things chromed in the past but there is flaking issue with the spring steel. This car isnt a road car so relax take a chil and deep breath. these spring are basically free bees for testing. That way I know what I want. I am aware of all the associated problems. And wasnt asking for that end of it. I am not a fan of cutting either.

BUT one has to do testing before you waste your money. Im not going to throw chroming one springs if I cant keep it from flaking.
ITS test. The car isnt even driven other than for the shows.

Brad :
You were right! I knew in advance that this was a thread for flaming, but you guys are my friends and after you realise what im trying to find out and test. Im not even sure I want the car lowered if im trying to show the bottom off also may not make good sence. Hard to set up and dont like the ones that put them up on blocks so i get to find out if i like the look for free.

I know all ahould understand. Im bet you all thought I went off the deep end. This is my enjoyment to show the car thats about it.

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
Cut mine as well and was very careful and precise about cutting them, my cars ride is the same and the car was dropped just over an 1-1/2 all the way around. I have always cut springs , now on Fox body's I noticed a different ride and feel but with my 03 it feels the same for me. I say cut them I wouldnt spend the extra money for springs mine worked out perfect for me!

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
According to the book Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams there is nothing wrong with cutting springs. He makes the point that if you are lowering for performance reasons, ie. lower center of gravity and increased spring rate, then cutting your existing springs is fine and his preferred way to do it. He says progressive rate springs are not good for handling, only ride quality. He goes into much more detail and gives technical explanation.

On the other hand:
If I was a lowering spring manufacturer I would tell you that you shouldn't cut your springs because it's unsafe or bad for your car(without giving a technical explanation or proof).

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
well my proof is Ive hung out with a number of professional race car drivers from all different types of racing, none of them cut their springs.

that and I dont see how racing springs improve ride quality, they improve handling and usually make the ride a bit on the rough side unless your on really smooth pavement.

for regular street cruising/racing it doesnt really matter for most.

if you just want it to look cool then cut them figure out what ride height you like and then buy real springs to match it.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well I will end up prolly have two springs polished and two not polished but chromed. Then see how bad they flake. I started this thread not to ask if I should or shouldn’t. I need to talk with those that have so I know how much to cut for a min drop.

For the shows I’m not even sure if I want to cut the springs just makes it harder to show bottom of car off.

If some of you really want to know about springs, I have dealt with them for many years and in Tool and Die designing.

First concern is length and coil bind. Second is operating range of spring for life and performance. You want to use 25% to 35% deflection for max life and performance.

IF you go to using 50% deflection your spring life will drop up to60% could be even 70%. performance can drop about 40%+

There is so much more to springs and type and material Dia and square coil or flattened coil. But it is just some base line info to realize for those that cut there springs and plan to drive on street.

Some people have bought cheap after market springs and they suck. Goes to show there is more than a coil of wire going on there.

I used to specking out springs for very sophisticated equipment I have designed. There is much to springs but certain things are basic. So I hope I have given enough of my back ground to rest assured im not some Kid with a hack saw! LOL I’m doing what any good engineer does a cheap mock up and see if its what I want. Then proceed and pick up anther set of stock springs and chrome or buy a Steeda set and have them chromed for lower look and deal with show problems of a lowered on display. Remember I plan to keep all my factory parts tucked away.

So back to Question at hand to folks that cut off on a 03 with PICS for my testing?

kj385

Established Member
I cut the rear springs on my car. I went 3/8 of a coil (not inch) on the rears only. It put the wheel gap near perfect with the front. And no noticeable differance in ride.

Users who are viewing this thread