Those putting down deposits, beware.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
This memo actually made the rounds several weeks ago.. I have talked to several Sales managers since and they are telling me that some details have changed..

Everything is up in the air right now..
I am about to give up on Ford entirely and go get a Corvette.

One dealer in PA quoted me a 20,000 markup.. With dealers acting like this, it makes me never want to do business with Ford ever again.

Bishop

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Purvis said:
This memo actually made the rounds several weeks ago.. I have talked to several Sales managers since and they are telling me that some details have changed..

One dealer in PA quoted me a 20,000 markup.. With dealers acting like this, it makes me never want to do business with Ford ever again.

$20K mark up and they are producing 7000 the first year??? Jebus H. Khrist!!

Bishop

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
What kind of allotment will the Shelby club get? What does it take to join the Shelby club?

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Don't hold your breath about SAAC getting allotments

Just my humble opinion, but based on Ford's allotment plans, no individual clubs will get any allotments, or preferential treatment, unless Shelby himself will be getting some cars, and will then resell them to SAAC.......

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
No Changes Yet Received

Purvis said:

I have been in contact with longtime SVT Dealer, and accordingly, he has seen no recent update to the original allotment plans, yet.......

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
I have been in contact with longtime SVT Dealer, and accordingly, he has seen no recent update to the original allotment plans, yet.......
Entirely possible..
However, the last Sales manager I talked to said the allocation had changed in the last few weeks.. I was told, for one, that Focus SVT dealers would not be geting an extra alotment..

Is this true? who knows..
All I know is that even my most trusted dealers have turned into ravenous Dogs concerning this Shelby..

Everytime I talk to them, THEY ALWAYs mention the FORD GT, and how that went XXXX above retail.. I'm so tired of hearing about that, since the GT was a limited edition car, while the Shelby is not..

They dont want to hear it however.. They dont care..
I'll probably sit tight and pick one up during the second year run, at the end of 08'.. lol :bored: This has turned into utter chaos.
I sincerly hope noone buys these cars above retail..

Its very simple. If we all tell the dealer NO, they will NOT be able to charge above retail, and will be forced to sell the cars at retail. Its up to you, the consumers..

I just fear there are alot of Stupid rich people out there. :(

Last edited:

Orange Blast

Super Cobra Jet
Established Member
Its very simple. If we all tell the dealer NO, they will NOT be able to charge above retail, and will be forced to sell the cars at retail. Its up to you, the consumers..

I just fear there are alot of Stupid rich people out there. :([/QUOTE]

Your exactly RIGHT! Those that will do that, will end up eating that cost eventually. Because they too are the ones thinking its an "investment buy".
Its no different from the 2000 Cobra "R" 's that were marked up into the stratosphere. They are now selling at and below the original sticker value with only several hundred miles on them.

Maybe will should wait to buy from them when they cut their losses! :banana:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I've said it before. The hype will die down. Let the fools and their money part. Within a few months, the price will normalize. The Terminators were the same way. By the end of '03, there were 4 or 5 on each lot getting below sticker. The dealer I am buying my Shelby from still had 3 '03s and 2 '04s last fall when the '05s came out. They had to move a couple of them over to the used lot and take a loss. Trust me, I will be reminding them of that if they try to charge me over sticker.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Honestly, this time around, with the Shelbys, it seems to be much worse than with the Terminators..

Chapman Ford in PA wants 20,000 over retail for their Shelbys.. Will they get that?
NO WAY...
But even that fact that they have the balls to ask for that, shows that things are really f'd up..

I also called a few dealers today.. one of the dealers in my area had over 80 people on their waiting list.. Im not sure if he was full of crap (which wouldnt surprise me in the least since I have already caught several dealers lieing to me about things concerning this car) but if they do indeed have 80 people on their list, that shows a severe problem for first year allocations, since they said they were only getting 6 in..

They said they would be given out to potential customers by lottery... What a mess..

I agree though, by the second year, these cars will catch up with demand, and be available under retail.. I cant stress this enough..

This car is NOT a limited edition vehicle lile the 1995 cobra R, or the 2000 Cobra R, and especially not like the Ford GT..
Those cars all had a limited production run..

This Shelby, Ford has repeatedly said, it will build to meet demand.. Meaning they will build as many as they can..

The first year, supply will not reach demand.. By the second year it will.. And prices will drop..

Everyone that paid markup, might as well kiss their money goodbye.

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
Purvis said:

Anything I can do to convince you to end your quest for a Shelby and go to any GM dealership, to buy a vette? Anything to stop the crying. :sleeping:

Just in case your not up to date on current events both GM and Ford are getting crushed by Toyota and then Honda. The concern isn't other american auto manufactureres. The plus of having a bland ass body style and engine with an amazing 230hp is really kick ass. Nothing like having one life to live and spending your time working for a Toyota. But hey you get good gas mileage.

Although I haven't had any problems with the two terminators I have owned, I would rather deal with the maintance associated with a 400+ hp car then dreadfully boring drives of an accord/camry. But thats me.

You may like the Camry; roomy, comfy, sporty (with a spoiler) and reliable. :shrug:

Bottomline: Pay the extra 5k over MSRP for the Shelby and be happy.

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I can't help but to think that even if you're number one on a dealer's list, and they originally told you that you get first crack at the Shelby GT500 that they get,and at sticker price, that if their waiting list has since then had dozens of names added to it, all with deposits attached to those names, that they will be changing their mind about their promise to you of selling the car to you for sticker price. They know that if you pass up your chances on that car because they've marked it up into outerspace, that there's a huge list of other people just waiting behind you. And when that happens, you can thank Ford for that for not meeting the demand. It's as simple as that.

So that's why I didn't run out and get my name on a waiting list for this car as much as I want one. because it doesn't matter where your name is, on that list. What DOES matter is how many names are on that list, because the bigger the list is, the more that dealer wil mark-up the price of the car. So unless you have mucho dollars to be trhowing around, and price is no object to you, it doesn't matter if you have your name on a waiting list or not. it's the size of that list that matters. Supply and demand. Ford holds all the cards here in this game. Because they control the supply (Ford & SVT that is).

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
jimwood said:
Anything I can do to convince you to end your quest for a Shelby and go to any GM dealership, to buy a vette? Anything to stop the crying. :sleeping:

Bottomline: Pay the extra 5k over MSRP for the Shelby and be happy.
What Im doing is not "crying". Information sharing can only help ALL OF us at this point in the game.. If you would rather rollover, put your head in the sand and stick you rear out, and let the dealers rape your ass, thats up to you. ;-)

Last edited:

Milstang

Established Member
I ran into the above problem recently. I called early this year and was told repeatedly that I started the new Shelby list, I even offered them $5,000 deposit. They rightfully told me they could not take the deposit as the order bank was not open.

Flash forward to two weeks ago and they call me up and after telling me over 6 times that I was number 1 on the list, I wrote down every correspondence with the date, they tell me they will be doing a lotto. They are going to take 100 person list and the day the order bank opens they will send out a mass email. Those that respond first, based on what they are allocated, will get their Shelbys. :bs:

So I quickly started looking around for back up dealers and found a few, however I am not the first on the list .. just in the top ten. That probably means :cuss: due to allocation. So here is to hoping a lot of disgruntled guys in front of me want the IRS or find the Shelby doesn't fullfill what they want in a car.

That said, I am not paying over MSRP and have been told by one of the dealers that they guarantee they will not charge me over MSRP.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Unfortunately, puting your name on a waiting list is like running up to a car salesman standing in the dealer parking lot and saying "Please sell me this car. I'll pay what ever you want for it"....even if you have no intention of paying more than the MSRP, that isn't how they look at it. If they have a huge waiting list of names, then the price of their car will go up. And people jumping on multiple waiting lists just helps that process along. It's simply a matter of typical salesmanship.

Last edited:

2004svtcobra

Established Member
The actual car sold to the public will change from what we are seeing in these prototypes anyways. They always do.

As far as placing Shelby's name on the car... Who cares. Shelby is only for marketing purposes anyways. I am through with Ford after my '04 Cobra is gone. The new line of Ford vehicles are all piss poor IMO. Not only are the new cars terrible but the dealers suck too. They hire a bunch of arrogant and incompetent people to work at these places. I am scared to death of leaving my car with them for any reason.

Also, placing any down payment down for a car this early is retarded! Putting money down now is like putting money down before you even get to the bunny ranch. You don't know what you are going to end up with. Invest the money or do something constructive with it. Simply giving it to Ford is the dumbest thing you could ever do!

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
2004svtcobra said:
. Not only are the new cars terrible but the dealers suck too. They hire a bunch of arrogant and incompetent people to work at these places. I am scared to death of leaving my car with them for any reason.

!
I agree, but do you honestly believe that the incompetence is simply limited to Ford dealers? Do you believe that Chevy or Dodge dealers are any different? I'm not indicating that this makes it okay, but simply that becoming a customer of some other car manufacture won't allow you to avoid the dealer pitfalls neccessarily.

svtdriven

Established Member
Now if you could buy them directly from ford at list price, and then delivered to your nearest ford dealer, I think the stealerships would have to sell them at or close to retail if they wanted to make any money off the deal.

It is pointless at this time to be upset over the "over sticker" price. what if you don't like it? has everyone here test driven a gt yet? I just got in one myself last week, and I was amazed at how cheap and basic the interior was. the interior in my 93 is far better than the 05.

Either way, those of you who have money in hand and want one when it comes out have a lot of legwork ahead of you. buying any car is normally a hassle. I would not be suprised if some give up and turn towards the vette or the GTO. You'd be less likely to run into the same issues since both of those cars are plentiful on the dealer lots.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
BillyGman said:
I agree, but do you honestly believe that the incompetence is simply limited to Ford dealers? Do you believe that Chevy or Dodge dealers are any different? I'm not indicating that this makes it okay, but simply that becoming a customer of some other car manufacture won't allow you to avoid the dealer pitfalls neccessarily.

I believe that both Dodge and Chevy dealers are the same too. They all hire from each other anyways. I avoid service departments as much as I can. Everytime I enter a dealership's service department however, there is always some sort of a argument that surfaces.

I think they all suck to tell you the truth. I guess you just have to find one of the rare dealers who cares about the customers. hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread