Those that have offroad midpipes!! (ticking)

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Psi23 said:
go out to the car and see it has a blue stripe on the drivers side head, just stand facin the car and look you should notice it, just look at the drivers and passanger side and u should notice it cuz passanger side shouldnt have one, but if they both do even better

I will check tomorrow. I cant hear the noise when the hood is open like the "tick" videos i have heard. Its more under the car. I retightened the mid pipe today but the noise is still there.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
ReVviNg HiGh said:
I will check tomorrow. I cant hear the noise when the hood is open like the "tick" videos i have heard. Its more under the car. I retightened the mid pipe today but the noise is still there.
From the sounds of it, it really does seem that you and I had the same problem. My tick couldn't be heard from the engine compartment...only from under the car or from the LF wheel well only...I really think it is valve train noise that you are getting...Either that or it is the very begining of the "Tick" The tick videos on here were a little worse than the sound that I was getting. Good luck. I'm about to buy an 04 and that was the first thing I checked for....Not that that means I could never get in in the future. :rollseyes

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
here is the video...

The video makes it louder than it really seems. Its actually pretty quiet. Just noticable. It appears as soon as i start the car up.

th_MOV00380.gif

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
ReV, after hearing that, I know what sound you're talking about now, and I have it as well. Can't hear it with the hood popped, only near the driver's side wheel well/under the side skirt. Yeah the vid made it seem pretty loud, but probably just like yours, it's not that noticeable when it's idling. I can hear it when I'm going through the drive thru somewhere though, bouncing off the wall. I guess it may be valvetrain noise. I had it before when my car was completely stock.

IMO, I don't really think it could be the infamous tick after seeing and hearing the videos posted on here, but you never know... I'm not going to worry about this sound unless it gets worse.

RocMach1

Established Member
just installed my x pipe this week and i have the same sound. Its easier to hear inside the car when driving. Sounds like foil being rattled, really tinselly sound. Usuaully gets louder as i accelerate.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Thanks for all of your feedback. I am almost positive its the midpipe and possibly valvetrain noise. The MAC piping is thin and its aluminum, not SS like the factory pipe.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I have and exhaust leak too. And I also have a noise that just recenly popped within the last month or so. It's coming from the same area on the left driver side that you're describing. And it is most noticeable from underneath the car, or when next to something that the sound can amplify and bounce off of. But, mine doesn't sound quite like the noise in your vid.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
I have and exhaust leak too. And I also have a noise that just recenly popped within the last month or so. It's coming from the same area on the left driver side that you're describing. And it is most noticeable from underneath the car, or when next to something that the sound can amplify and bounce off of. But, mine doesn't sound quite like the noise in your vid.

I forgot to add that you could hear the noise coming out of the tail pipe if you listen for it.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
I forgot to add that you could hear the noise coming out of the tail pipe if you listen for it.

hmm. i dont hear any noise from the tail pipes. I checked for that too.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
this may be a dumb question, but did u check the o2s? when i installed my exhaust, i checked everything a milion times, and all the while it was the damned o2 sensors. i felt so dumb.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
rrpederson said:
this may be a dumb question, but did u check the o2s? when i installed my exhaust, i checked everything a milion times, and all the while it was the damned o2 sensors. i felt so dumb.

:D I did check them all to make sure they were tight. I thought the same too. I am hunting for a leak and it might be a damn o2.

Harps

Established Member
This is the weirdest post because at my work today, every break I got I went out side and start my car up and it does the same thing you cant hear it if you put your ears by the heads, but if you lay underneith you hear it. ???:shrug: I have Long tubes and a custome x pipe with flows... and 2 cats to. I have the 1 blue head on my driver side also. Head issue fix's I heard. :beer:

Psi23

Do I have a Boog Hangin?
Established Member
if anyone has the one blue head that means its already been changed the blue head is the updated head and it should have no tick, blue stripe means its been serviced for head noise

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Its weird. You cant hear the noise from the engine bay. The head is quiet. Its coming from under the car. The "tick" can be heard from over 25 feet away.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
I installed the sleeve that the MAC pipe came with today. I thought it would give the drivers side a better seal. Still dont feel an exhaust leak. The noise is still there. The noise sounds like its coming from the bellhouse but its soo close to the manifold i cant tell.

Users who are viewing this thread