Those with 9.5 wheels up front (CCW's), rubbing issues?

SBVERT03

Established Member
I recently put a set of CCW Classics on my 04 Cobra. They are 18x9.5 up front, and 18x11 in back, set up for an IRS car. I'm running 18/35/275 toyo extensa hp tires up front. I absolutely love the wheels. The drive home from having them installed was great, but I noticed an issue the last time I drove the car.

I was actually just moving it back into the garage after doing some cleaning. I had the wheel turned all the way to the right, and accelerated forward and heard almost like a popping or banging noise. It sounded to me like the front tire was rubbing something. I inspected as best I could from the side to see if I could see where it was occurring, but unfortunately I was in a rush and couldn't get under the car to see exactly what was going on. It is not running on the fenders. I'm guessing its on the fender lining somewhere?

Today I was out of town and also didn't get a chance to look at it. Hopefully tomorrow evening I will have some free time. In the meantime, I was just wondering if this was a common problem and what steps I can take to fix it (other than not turn the wheel that sharp.) lol.

Thanks!

SBVERT03

Established Member
Bump. Getting ready to go out and see if I can see what's going on.

SpectorV

Established Member
i have no rubbing issues with 275/35/18s on 18x9 wheels with 2.89 front spacing (width - backspacing = front spacing) unless my air filter is pushing against my inner finder liner then it rubs.... had to fix that.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
its not the wheel / tire that's the issue. Might be a steering rack or sway bar link that's worn out or not tight.

I run the same set up as you 18x9.5 up front CCW with Toyo R888 275/35/18 with zero rubbing issue. There are tons of us out there as well with no problems

SBVERT03

Established Member
its not the wheel / tire that's the issue. Might be a steering rack or sway bar link that's worn out or not tight.

I run the same set up as you 18x9.5 up front CCW with Toyo R888 275/35/18 with zero rubbing issue. There are tons of us out there as well with no problems

Yeah I know lots of people have no issues, so that's kinda what I figured. I just thought it was kind of odd that I noticed it right after putting on the new wheels.

Unfortunately this week has been really hectic and I still haven't had a chance to really look at it or even drive the car again. Hopefully I will in the next few days, or this weekend at the latest.

Users who are viewing this thread