Thought I had a new job...

trevkm7

Established Member
So I called about a craigslist ad today,and they say its carpet cleaning business and you make 500 bucks per week.I was looking for a summer job,so I called and had an interview. I keep learning more and more then the guy tells me that I need to drive my own car and that I'm trying to sell the vacuums not that I'm working for a legitimate carpet cleaning business.:bored: 200 dollars per vacuum you sell.I got the job and the training is tomorrow (not paid I should ad) and I'm pissed because obviously this is a big scam to sell unsuspecting people vacuums.I'm not going. GOD isn't there any honest jobs out there anymore? I've applied to over 15 places the past month and they all say I have the job and they'll call me..but it never happens. Sorry had to get that out

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol 15 places in a month?

I applied/answered 15 craigslist ads in a day.

Theres tons of scams and bullshit out there, but usually you can tell the legit ads from the fake ones. Any ad that has you answer to a gmail.com is usually fake, real businesses will have their own emails......

Ive been conned into interviewing for that sort of sales stuff, i went in for an admin support position and the lady said with my background I should do sales, then inquired to what they sold, it was some bullshit all-in-one polish/sealer/wax that "nascar" teams use. LOL, im a very good detailer and I straight up walked out of her office. In talking to some people they have these guys stand in front of gas stations and malls trying to sell that shit. If it was that good, id see it on autogeek/autopia. It would be just like selling Cutco knives or Oreck XL vacuums door to door, **** that.

Usually 1 out of every 10 legit ads I post to got a call back. Ill post to shit that the requirements are more than what I have, (im 3+yrs of estimation, 1+ of project management), most will require 5+ of estimating. **** it, nothing to lose, they might not find someone that meets said requirements, or hell, might even have another position that you could fit into. Never hurts to try, if you're unemployed its not like you have anything better to do. Just like fishing, you need to put more lines in the water if you want a better chance of at least getting a bite (interview) and especially reeling one in.

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
craigslist job ads are scams. no legit company advertises there. mostly insurance sales...or vacuum cleaner sales. things like that. a lot of phishers also. make an email that you use just for this purpose.

trevkm7

Established Member
lol 15 places in a month?

I applied/answered 15 craigslist ads in a day.

Theres tons of scams and bullshit out there, but usually you can tell the legit ads from the fake ones. Any ad that has you answer to a gmail.com is usually fake, real businesses will have their own emails......

Ive been conned into interviewing for that sort of sales stuff, i went in for an admin support position and the lady said with my background I should do sales, then inquired to what they sold, it was some bullshit all-in-one polish/sealer/wax that "nascar" teams use. LOL, im a very good detailer and I straight up walked out of her office. In talking to some people they have these guys stand in front of gas stations and malls trying to sell that shit. If it was that good, id see it on autogeek/autopia. It would be just like selling Cutco knives or Oreck XL vacuums door to door, **** that.

Usually 1 out of every 10 legit ads I post to got a call back. Ill post to shit that the requirements are more than what I have, (im 3+yrs of estimation, 1+ of project management), most will require 5+ of estimating. **** it, nothing to lose, they might not find someone that meets said requirements, or hell, might even have another position that you could fit into. Never hurts to try, if you're unemployed its not like you have anything better to do. Just like fishing, you need to put more lines in the water if you want a better chance of at least getting a bite (interview) and especially reeling one in.

Well when I said applied to 15 places I meant actually went in filled out an application and got interviewed,I've sent messages to alot of help wanted ads that never even got to that point.
What really sucks is I'm in college and the whole reason I don't have a job (I was waiting tables making pretty decent money for a college student) is because I put in my schedule for when I had school 2 months in advance,and first day of class I'm on the schedule,when I call 4 days before the day I was scheduled during class she made no effort to correct her error and said if I didn't come in I was fired. I had been working there for 2 years and she just cast me out like that!

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
craigslist job ads are scams. no legit company advertises there.

lol @ this.

All my jobs have been off CL.

Hell my IT buddy just responded to some Oracle postings on there (i think it redirected him to their careers site though). I used to see many postings for Google, HP, Apple, etc when I browsed the SF/Bay area CL. But you know, no real company uses craigslist. Alot of HR people are using multiple venues to get back as many job seekers as possible so they can really find the best candidate.

but yeah, theres ALOT of bullshit on there too.

stangaholic280

Established Member
If that's the type of jobs you are looking at, you'd have better luck working for Cutco. I did that for a summer while I was a teen, made couple thousand half assing it.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
lol @ this.

All my jobs have been off CL.

Hell my IT buddy just responded to some Oracle postings on there (i think it redirected him to their careers site though). I used to see many postings for Google, HP, Apple, etc when I browsed the SF/Bay area CL. But you know, no real company uses craigslist. Alot of HR people are using multiple venues to get back as many job seekers as possible so they can really find the best candidate.

but yeah, theres ALOT of bullshit on there too.

few years ago, i applied to several from CL. ads are very misleading. i recieved plenty of responses. once i had their email, i would google it and get crazy results. they almost always send you a link for your credit report.

if you respond to craigslist ads, be careful, you might want to research. i would follow these steps to be safe.

make a new email, that is used for CL only. because you will get spammed.
dont send your resume' until asked.
dont click on credit report links.
ask specifics about the job.

As a supervisor for the last 15 years or so, my philosophy was, if you post on craigslist for employees, you will get craigslist level applicants.

be careful with CL.

trevkm7

Established Member
I'm just waiting to get certified as an EMT,its not that good of pay but hey it's honest work and a weekly paycheck...got my state test on the 28th and then I should have a job soon after.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
As a supervisor for the last 15 years or so, my philosophy was, if you post on craigslist for employees, you will get craigslist level applicants.

Thats what the interview process is for :shrug:

Hell a simple phone call can usually weed out the men from the boys, or figure out who is bullshitting their resume and who isnt.

s_x_i

Established Member
I use CL all the time to hire people. I've found more than my fair share of idiots, but I have hired a few absolute keepers!

The CL level mentality seems to be going away, but it's shocking to me how many people submit resumes and cover letters for legal positions that are riddled with errors.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I found my current job through CL, but it's just a job, not a career. I've found that most of CL is for short-term stuff to get you by until you find the job you're really looking for. Oh, and I agree it's probably 90% scam/bs sales jobs selling ridiculous stuff no one wants.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
But can u actually find a legit job on CL....:shrug:

Yes. Last week I had two offers on the table for fully legit companies, and a 3rd possible one I just interviewed with yesterday. I start one on the 23rd making more money in an actual position than the last job I just got laid off from, and the one I just interviewed for is even more money than that.

I just looked in the Allentown/Bethlehem CL. 3 pages from just Tuesdays postings! I might have a page or two in Stockton/Modesto/Tracy combined.

OP, whats your skillset and what sort of jobs are you looking for?

trevkm7

Established Member
Yes. Last week I had two offers on the table for fully legit companies, and a 3rd possible one I just interviewed with yesterday. I start one on the 23rd making more money in an actual position than the last job I just got laid off from, and the one I just interviewed for is even more money than that.

I just looked in the Allentown/Bethlehem CL. 3 pages from just Tuesdays postings! I might have a page or two in Stockton/Modesto/Tracy combined.

OP, whats your skillset and what sort of jobs are you looking for?

I worked construction for two summers,but that was basically general labor whatever they needed me to do,with the way the economy is they want guys with 5+ years experience around here,also I worked at a bunch of restaurants waiting tables,but nobody wants to give me a shot at that either. Like I said I'm almost certified as an emt I just have to pass my test on the 28th and I'm good to go with that. By the way I live in Bethlehem Connecticut not PA

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So I called about a craigslist ad today,and they say its carpet cleaning business and you make 500 bucks per week.I was looking for a summer job,so I called and had an interview. I keep learning more and more then the guy tells me that I need to drive my own car and that I'm trying to sell the vacuums not that I'm working for a legitimate carpet cleaning business.:bored: 200 dollars per vacuum you sell.I got the job and the training is tomorrow (not paid I should ad) and I'm pissed because obviously this is a big scam to sell unsuspecting people vacuums.I'm not going. GOD isn't there any honest jobs out there anymore? I've applied to over 15 places the past month and they all say I have the job and they'll call me..but it never happens. Sorry had to get that out

How do you sell vacuums to unsuspecting people? Do they think you are selling them a car instead?

In general, vacuum sales is not a scam. Door to door vacuum sales has been going on for decades. You just want a job where you are guaranteed income for the hours you work, so this isnt for you.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
reminds me of the "marketing" job i applied for right out of college....

i kid you not the day after my interview we were walking door to door selling coupon books. they were solicitors.

i left and never went back.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Are you selling Kirby vacume cleaners? If so... run, don't walk from that job... you are trying to sell 1600 dollar vacume cleaners lol. My woman made the mistake of letting once of those cancers into our home. 2 hours later he still would not leave. I had to tell him to leave or I was going to call the police.

trevkm7

Established Member
Are you selling Kirby vacume cleaners? If so... run, don't walk from that job... you are trying to sell 1600 dollar vacume cleaners lol. My woman made the mistake of letting once of those cancers into our home. 2 hours later he still would not leave. I had to tell him to leave or I was going to call the police.

DING DING DING lol yes Kirby vacuum cleaners,he was like people want to buy them but theyre expensive..and I said so you want me to sell really expensive vacuums with the way the economy is now?

Users who are viewing this thread