Thoughts of Mazda SPEED3

whiplash306

Established Member
HPIM1149.jpg

HPIM1150.jpg

UNBELIEVABLY fun car with an amazing amt of power, refinement and economical value. Brand new off the shrowroom floor, we got over 25 mpg on the highway.....5,000 miles later, I have seen a best of 32.x mpg hwy and average about 24 in town. We did what the above poster did and have added ONLY the Cobb short ram intake and the amt of power realized from that was almost unreal. I'd elaborate, but you'd accuse me of being a ricer....ha! But yeah, it's not uncommon now to be cruising in 2nd gear, punch it from a roll and light up the tires!!!

For a long trip, the back seats fold down and you can store a TON of stuff in there! The car is comfortable and has a lot of creature comforts that most cars costing $10k more don't have! Automatic windshield wipers, 6 disk in dash CD changer, a BOSE stereo that sounds pretty good, 6 speed tranny, etc, etc.

As for the car's pull...it's effortless and turbo lag is "almost" non-existent. I would definately recommend one for you as my wife and I have NO complaints about ours!!!!

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
My buddy has a regular Mazda3 hatchback and its a LOT of fun to drive, the steering is quick and it almost handles like its on rails. I imagine that with the turbo + 6-speed it would be a helluva lot more fun.

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
Wrong wheel drive. Nice & fun little cars, but torque steer FTL.

Get a Speed6. ;)

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
Yea the motor is really stout in them. Fully forged, Direct injection.

Id get one as a daily driver. Some of the motors produce around 280 wheel torque stock.. They love to be driven on the highway and on road courses.

Same motor as the MS6 & the MS6 stock internals don't like more than 300 AWHP. So much for forged

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
i have a mazdaspeed6 for a DD and i love it but they have their quirks (both with as they are the same engine and transmission) the MS6's have had a problem with 2nd gear stripping inside of the transmission even with those who rarely get on the car or race it (mine did) and also,
I'm on the MS6 forums daily & this is not a common problem posted.

if you plan on modding it they have problems with boost and/or fuel cut with some modifications done to them.
I have never hit fuel cut. I have ETS TMIC, AEM CAI, CP-E cat-back, TXS BOV & ORP.

Common

Established Member
Wrong wheel drive. Nice & fun little cars, but torque steer FTL.

Get a Speed6. ;)

This guy on SVTsnake has a built block speed 6, he is not done yet, but it will be a monster, something will the fuel pumps not supporting the new power is giving him major problems.

I know a guy that ran 13.4 with speed 3, had a 107 trap but on street tires, couldn't pull off a decent 60 foot to save his life.(had some mods)

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
This guy on SVTsnake has a built block speed 6, he is not done yet, but it will be a monster, something will the fuel pumps not supporting the new power is giving him major problems.

I know a guy that ran 13.4 with speed 3, had a 107 trap but on street tires, couldn't pull off a decent 60 foot to save his life.(had some mods)

I never said they aren't quick or can't be made fast, but I am not a fan of FWD for performance. I own a SPEED6

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
the turbo lag on the Speed3's is hideous IMO. I was extreamely close (as in, getting the final prices with tax and title) to buying a new speed3. I loved almost every part of the speed3 that i could find.

the only reason i bought the 97 DD cobra instead of a speed3? Simple...A difference of about...oh say...$19K.

If you have your eye on it and you can swallow the payments, more power to you! It's a pretty sweet ride for what it is. Although the turbo lags pretty bad, when it kicks in, it totally resembles when you cross the 3200RPM mark in the 97 and the IMRC's open. WHIRRR and your gone!

whiplash306

Established Member
the turbo lag on the Speed3's is hideous IMO.
Had you ever driven a STOCK turbo charged 4 cylinder before the Speed 3? I ask because I've driven numerous and the Speed 3's turbo response time is amazing compared to most all others I've driven besides my '04 STi...it's a toss up between them.

Users who are viewing this thread