Thoughts on 8-10 year old Explorers

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
My son is going to be looking to replace his DD soon hopefully for under 10k and I've seen some pretty nice Explorers that fall within that range, so my question for those who know them is are these good reliable SUV's and what are the most common issues, and are there certain years to stay away from. Thanks.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
IMHO:
- Stay away from high mileage EBs - valve coking. Especially if the oil wasn’t serviced every 3,000 miles.
- Besides it’s grossly undersized fluid capacity and the ability to easily change it, there’s well known issues with PTU’s, especially if irregular sized tires were run.
- Ford geniuses put internal water pumps in the transverse mounted 3.5L. If they go, it can get very $ before you know it.

Good luck.

Edit: Mines a ‘19 Sport w/3.5L EB.

Maybe look for low mile, personal party with records, idk.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Water pump leaks, PTU (all wheel drive) failures, wheel bearings (PITA to replace). Unless you get a really good warranty that will cover these items I would stay away from those explorers.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
My son is going to be looking to replace his DD soon hopefully for under 10k and I've seen some pretty nice Explorers that fall within that range, so my question for those who know them is are these good reliable SUV's and what are the most common issues, and are there certain years to stay away from. Thanks.
Meh, I had bad luck with the 2.7 in the Fusion Sport, but I had it tuned, so can't really blame breaking a valve on the engine. I'd look for low mileage Explorers if possible, or ones that had recent valve train work. I thought chain tensioners, chains, etc.... were problematic on/about 100K mile mark.....

robvas

Established Member
Or a Grand Cherokee? On second thought, not sure if non-abused ones would even exist.

I have had my 2016 Limited for a while (2019?), really like it and the only problem I've had with it are the engine mounts failing a couple years ago. Don't get the stupid air suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_4240.jpeg
    IMG_4240.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 25

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have had my 2016 Limited for a while (2019?), really like it and the only problem I've had with it are the engine mounts failing a couple years ago. Don't get the stupid air suspension.

That’s a sharp looking GC!

To be clear, we all know every vehicle has its set of issues. Guess it’s a question of finding one with fewer, less expensive issues, that’s been well maintained.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We are the original owners of a 13' Sport with 145K miles, but haven't had any of the issues that these cars are known to have. I have serviced the PTU many times, changed the coolant over to Yellow, and have done all of the oil changes on time with Motorcraft oil and filter.

Electric power steering racks are known to be a problem, along with turbos.

All that said, I would never buy one of these cars used...

2001 white top

Established Member
If you can find one with the 4.6 that would be the best. I own a 2010 Sport Track (pretty much the same vehicle with a truck bed) with 82K miles on it and the motor is flawless less changing the TPS. The only major problem I had was replacing the front axle shafts after 40K miles and again at 80K. It's a way better vehicle than the next generation of Explorer Ford replaced it with. Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread