Thoughts on Cadillac Brembos

testorossa1989

Established Member
Options change with the times and I recently saw people swapping to Cadillac 4 puck Brembo calipers on their New Edges. I was wondering if anyone here tried this on their Cobra and if they saw a worth wild improvement over racing rotor & pads. I currently run EBC dimple slotted rotors w/ EBC bluestuff NDX that stop significantly better over traditional pads & rotors.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
On my foxbody I went from 04 Cobra brakes (IRS in the rear) to the ATS Brembo setup and while I don't think it was a big improvement on the street I didn't get the chance to push them on a track or Auto-x yet as my car is in full build mode. I mainly did it because I wanted the look and my front calipers were mismatched, technically the same but one side had the Baer logo and the other side said Cobra.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think I've heard anyone say they regretted the change.

03HP

Established Member
In theory you should have better pedal feel from the stiffer caliper (most people switching probably have much better feel because they’re upgrading pads and getting rid of 20 year old brake fluid). That being said, the stock calipers should stop the car fine with good fluid/pads/rotors. Only time you may NEED an upgrade over stock is open tracking the car.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Options change with the times and I recently saw people swapping to Cadillac 4 puck Brembo calipers on their New Edges. I was wondering if anyone here tried this on their Cobra and if they saw a worth wild improvement over racing rotor & pads. I currently run EBC dimple slotted rotors w/ EBC bluestuff NDX that stop significantly better over traditional pads & rotors.
I just swapped mine and under normal driving, I can't tell any difference. I did it for looks.

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
It’s cheap and mostly for just the “look” factor.

It’s not much of an upgrade over the stock brakes. If you were to keep stock calipers, get some nice rotors, Hawk pads and stainless steel lines which would work very well. Or upgrade to a “proper” brake kit like the Y2K Brembos, Baer, Wilwood or StopTech.

You get what you pay for..

I don't think I've heard anyone say they regretted the change.

I actually know of and seen many people swapping the ATS kit out to one of the brake kits that I listed above.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Speaking of SS lines, where's the best place to get them these days? I need to do them and flush the fluid.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Think I may hold off then. Seems like it's more for the visual appeal than performance.
I still think it's worth it just in the looks department. Makes the car look a lot more modern.

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_105816345.jpg
    IMG_20240106_105816345.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240106_160141253_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_160141253_HDR.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 29

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Upgrading the stock brakes is a good option. The first brake upgrade I did was StopTech slotted cryo rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Motul RBF660 fluid and Russell SS lines. It was a good setup and did well on the street for everyday driving. Also provided that emergency stopping power if required. I did feel like it left a lot to be desired for spirited driving and in the looks department.

My second setup was a 2000 Cobra R setup. I kept using StopTech cryo rotors and Hawk HPS pads with the Motul RBF660. This setup was amazing for street use and did the things required for spirited driving. There was no modifications required for installing them either. They had a good resistance to fade and were consistent regardless of temperature. They also looked better than the stock calipers and gave an OEM plus feel as if the 03/04 Cobra should have came with them from the factory.

Admittedly my third setup is absolutely stupid, way too expensive and overkill for 99% of people out there. I now have a Brembo GT kit with 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers, and there rear setup is a 13" FTBR two piece rotor conversion with Hawk HPS pads. I still run the Motul RBF660 like before. This brake setup is amazing and will blow your mind. They really put it into perspective why there are levels to braking performance. They feel amazing on the street and they will make you kiss the windshield under hard braking conditions. Plus they look flat out amazing. I think total the brake setup was around $5,200. Worth it to me? Yes. Worth it to everyone else? Probably not. Would I do it again? Yes.

I would say the best bang for the buck and my recommendation for what route to go is the second setup. Does everything you want and more for around $1500. The Caddy setup is a good choice but for the sake of simplicity I would do the 2000 Cobra R kit as it is a direct fit and engineered for the chassis. My build thread is below if you want pics for reference.

Screenshot_20230723_175014_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230723_174933_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread