Thoughts on IMRCs with centri setup

RSbeast

Established Member
Been putting some thought into the ideas of IMRC deleting and the benifits associated with a street driven B head 4v or the ideas per say of how the IMRC plates could make a centrifugal setup car more fun.

All Gunking Aside

A concern with most is the upkeep of the IMRC plates. The secondary runner is dry. There is no fuel and thus seems to lead to a froth buildup on the plates. Deleting prevents cleaning and failure. My posing question is would increasing port velocity deter this?

The IMRCs are in place to keep runner velocity maximized. The B head has a combined runner volume of something near or over 230cc. That's insane for a 281 ci engine. People lose the IMRCs for a loss of restriction and simply gear the balls off the car to keep engine speed and runner velocity higher. Almost like a bandaid fix.

Now with a centrifugal setup you now are starting to fill those single set of runners. At lower rpm points. Increasing the velocity until transition. I would feel a car moving a displaced volume of @ 315 ci or so at lower rpm levels would really make for snappy lower end with the primary runner of around 120cc. Despite having a numerically lower gear in the rear; say 3:73s for my instance. Obviously there would be more air during IMRC transition that could be harder to tune around like a part throttle lean. Has this beeen documented? Also this greater volume and velocity of air could keepthe plates cleaner. Documented?

Does anyone have a dyno of a centri car with a back to back IMRC and delete test? Id be very interested in seeing the results.

Thoughts? Opinions?

$.02

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I have deletes but I did them at the same time I installed the blower so I don't have any back to back comparison. My friend however, installed deletes after installing the blower and getting it tuned. For him there was no difference in low end power but a noticable difference up top. Unfortunately he sold his car before he could get it tuned with the deletes.

For me sacrificing a little torque down low for more power up top is a good trade.

20+psi

700+rwhp club
Established Member
No back to back dyno runs..... but the same here, car had deletes on it with the T trim, car pulled great up top and down low (4.10's) out back. I sold the T trim and in the week or so drove without a blower and the low end was terrible. There was a difference from 3500 to 7500 but anything below it was a dog.

I then installed the YSI and it was a done deal then. Oh it is also a 298ci if that helps.

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
Very interested in this too. Everyone says delete them, I was just going to since mine kept giving me trouble codes. But really want to know if they are any good fr low end with a blower.

J's98Snake

Established Member
If your are FI delete them, you have plenty of velocity with the blower. They are nothing more than a restriction on a FI car, any tuner who's worth a sh1t will tell you this.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
No back to back dyno runs..... but the same here, car had deletes on it with the T trim, car pulled great up top and down low (4.10's) out back. I sold the T trim and in the week or so drove without a blower and the low end was terrible. There was a difference from 3500 to 7500 but anything below it was a dog.

I then installed the YSI and it was a done deal then. Oh it is also a 298ci if that helps.

I'm interested in this as well. My car is currently at the shop getting a Vortech after cooler and 8 rib set up. I almost deleted the imrc's but the install and dyno tune was already getting expensive. I figure when I get the short block rebuilt I'll delete them and add a short runner because it won't cost me any extra.

Reason for the quote is I have a question off topic, will the ysi trim bolt on to the original bracket and what else needs to be done to swap with an si trim? When I build the short block I want to skip the t trim and go right to the ysi trim.

golfcartracerx

Established Member
I just had a V3-SQ @8lbs installed and tuned on my 97 cobra with the IMRC's untouched. Made 420whp with a nice smooth line. The 430's of course keep it alive to 3k then all hell breaks loose.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I just had a V3-SQ @8lbs installed and tuned on my 97 cobra with the IMRC's untouched. Made 420whp with a nice smooth line. The 430's of course keep it alive to 3k then all hell breaks loose.

This is almost exactly what I'll be doing soon. Do you have any vids?

golfcartracerx

Established Member
No vids, never tried, not sure how the quality will be through an iphone? I suppose I could give it a try =-)

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I would think a big issue would be how fast they open. If they move slow on a FI 4.10 car you could be to redline before they open fully. anyone ever seen how snappy they are?

And OP if you delete them that will not solve your gunking problem. the valves and ports will still get gunked up.

Users who are viewing this thread