Thoughts on new Accord/Altima

blackgtcp

Established Member
Yes another one of those threads. Im looking to get in to something new and more comfortable honestly. I oringinally wanted a four door car and have been looking at both of these. They both get great gas mileage even with the V6 engine. Motor size really doesnt matter to me. I just dont want to pay a lot more for the V6. I drove the Honda the other day (4cyl) and it seems like a fantastic car. The Nissan guy was being the usual car salesman bugging the shit out of me so I havnt driven that one yet. I really dont have to have 4 doors since I never have more than one other person in the car but it would be nice to have extra space and comfort. Not interested in the Altima coupe at all.
Basically I just want a comfortable quiet car that has a warranty. Has to have leather. No preference on motor.

Any thoughts on quality and performance?

DougT

Established Member
Accord, at least if you want to dump it after awhile you will have the higher resale value than the Nissan.

At least a EX.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think you should buy American.....

I used to think that way too. Only thing I liked was the fusion but the wife and kids didn't like it, the warranty wasn't as good as 1 I bought and MPG wasn't quite as good.

Bought a 2011 Sonata a little over a year ago for my wife to use until the oldest goes to college in May and a Accord a few days ago to use until the youngest goes in 2.5 years.

Love the Sonata, can't say much yet about the accord as I've only driven it once.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I used to think that way too. Only thing I liked was the fusion but the wife and kids didn't like it, the warranty wasn't as good as 1 I bought and MPG wasn't quite as good.

Bought a 2011 Sonata a little over a year ago for my wife to use until the oldest goes to college in May and a Accord a few days ago to use until the youngest goes in 2.5 years.

Love the Sonata, can't say much yet about the accord as I've only driven it once.

Just looking at the big picture...... when I get back I won't buy another non-American car.

If it was me I'd buy a used CTS or CTSV and save a boatload of money. The V won't get the fuel economy but the sixxer will- and have over 300 hp to boot. No way can anyone tell me the Accord or Altima is a better/nicer vehicle than the Caddy.

Same thing with the Sonata...... you can get a 09 CTS for less than a Sonata. And the Caddy is nicer IMO.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Maybe but I'm buying for warranty for 2 teenage girls. I needed new, MPG and reliabilty for them to go to college. No way in hell I'm buying them a Caddy.

Not everyone needs 300HP.

Both were new and $24K +/- out the door.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Maybe but I'm buying for warranty for 2 teenage girls. I needed new, MPG and reliabilty for them to go to college. No way in hell I'm buying them a Caddy.

Not everyone needs 300HP.

Both were new and $24K +/- out the door.

To each their own.... I get wanting to take care of your family. I just take a different approach:beer:

BTW- the sixxer Accords and Altimas make pretty close to 300 hp IIRC. - not sure about the Sonata....that T should be pretty healthy.

DougT

Established Member

Buying a used caddy helps who ? The used car dealer ? or the parts department at GM ? Caddies values drop like a rock ! from new and used. Anything GM is Junk in my eyes though.

Every honda I ever bought my wife had huge resale value and little to no problems if any.

Its America buy what you want.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Buying a used caddy helps who ? The used car dealer ? or the parts department at GM ? Caddies values drop like a rock ! from new and used. Anything GM is Junk in my eyes though.

Every honda I ever bought my wife had huge resale value and little to no problems if any.

Its America buy what you want.

Buying a used Caddy helps YOU. I'm not a huge GM fan either- but CTSV junk? Come on man. That's pretty ignorant. And buying used is the whole reason you would do it- tell me, what other car that has around 500 rwhp, can seat 5, is comfortable, economical, decent insurance etc can you get for under 20k? We're not talking about a Euro car that's going to cost a fortune to maintain here:rollseyes...... how many problems have we heard about with CTSV's? .... go ahead, I'll wait:rolleyes:

And yes I realize this is America and we can ALL do what we want. A thread starts asking for opinions- I gave mine. You don't like it? Oh well:nono:

My little sister has an '08 Accord sedan. I've driven it a handful of times and have been a passenger in it many times. It is a great car and I imagine these newer models are even nicer. The leather in her Accord really is of outstanding quality. I'm impressed with these Accords and she gets great gas mileage. Car looks pimp too. I think they are a good buy.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Buying a used Caddy helps YOU. I'm not a huge GM fan either- but CTSV junk? Come on man. That's pretty ignorant. And buying used is the whole reason you would do it- tell me, what other car that has around 500 rwhp, can seat 5, is comfortable, economical, decent insurance etc can you get for under 20k? We're not talking about a Euro car that's going to cost a fortune to maintain here:rollseyes...... how many problems have we heard about with CTSV's? .... go ahead, I'll wait:rolleyes:

And yes I realize this is America and we can ALL do what we want. A thread starts asking for opinions- I gave mine. You don't like it? Oh well:nono:

First off, the model CTS-V you are referring to does not have anywhere near 500rwhp stock. Second of all, it'll be out of warranty...ever checked the rear end issues and associated repair costs on that model? When you say buy American, normally one would assume to do so in order to support American companies, but if you buy used you are only supporting the dealership, the manufacturer already got their money, of course that was previously stated.

The op was asking for opinions regarding the Accord and Altima, not the CTS-V or any other American cars. Oh and in case you didn't realize this, both of those are made in the US. Maybe if it wasn't for the crooked UAW, American companies (GM in specific) would be able to produce a car that is comparable to the "imports" in build quality/resale value/reliability/etc.

All in all, your opinion is invalid and has no place in this thread. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

To the OP, personally I'd choose the Honda over the Nissan, just based on prior experience with Honda vehicles, nothing but good things to say. But I do have to say this, have you considered the new Kia Optima? IMO the turbo model would be a blast to have.

-Eric

mnewxcv

Established Member
First off, the model CTS-V you are referring to does not have anywhere near 500rwhp stock. Second of all, it'll be out of warranty...ever checked the rear end issues and associated repair costs on that model? When you say buy American, normally one would assume to do so in order to support American companies, but if you buy used you are only supporting the dealership, the manufacturer already got their money, of course that was previously stated.

The op was asking for opinions regarding the Accord and Altima, not the CTS-V or any other American cars. Oh and in case you didn't realize this, both of those are made in the US. Maybe if it wasn't for the crooked UAW, American companies (GM in specific) would be able to produce a car that is comparable to the "imports" in build quality/resale value/reliability/etc.

All in all, your opinion is invalid and has no place in this thread. Feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

To the OP, personally I'd choose the Honda over the Nissan, just based on prior experience with Honda vehicles, nothing but good things to say. But I do have to say this, have you considered the new Kia Optima? IMO the turbo model would be a blast to have.

-Eric

id agree that honda is histortically better than nissan, though i feel like they are losing the edge over the competition. hyundai and kia are really turning out good cars with great warranties for insane prices. Though i have noticed on kias the cosmetic quality isnt quite as high as the japanese cars.

TrevorR90

Banned
3 Days ago I bought a 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe the 4 liter 2.5 engine. Thing is fantastic. Interior is nice, great gas mileage, great ride, quiet ride. They advertised it as 32 mpg on the highway and I have been averaging 37. I have driven both the new accord and the new altima. I liked the Altima better.

Dusten

Established Member
I traded in my 2005 CTS-V on a 2012 Accord...

fusion/milan are nice cars.
I liked it better than the accord, but my wife didnt like the driving position.

We got an accord special edition(lower hp, but leather, heated seats, power, yada yada yada) for 23k OTD with 1.9% financing. It was tough to pass up.

We looked at accords, fusion, sonata, altima, and camry. The accord was the only one optioned that well, that had that much rear room with a 4 cyl. Its my wifes DD, it has about 5k on it now and I love it. The ride is good, power is adequate, options were nice and it doesn't look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread