Thoughts on porting Boss IM, stock tb on a 2012 mustang

LS1FTMFW

Banned
Any results? Friend is thinking about having his boss intake manifold ported, port match the tb to the IM, and have the TB ported.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Definitely worth it. I dynod 419rwhp with boss intake. Did a McLeod twin disc, lightened steel flywheel and ported just the boss runners and made 445rwhp. No more of that 10rwhp was clutch/flywheel. So at least 15rwhp gain with the port work on the runners

Need4Speed03

Established Member
There was a recent thread where a member ported his Boss IM and he had positive track results and posted his time slips before and after. Use the search feature...

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I wondered about open the TB connection area by removing the fins, I also wondered why Ford put them there as well, what that might do to air entering the prelim... Cause monster turbulence, swirls and cross currents? i dunno

The throttle body? just buy a larger one... not enough sidewall to port and if you do... wouldn't the current butterfly be too small, a gap around the edges?... Factory size is 80mm...

I would not port the runners at all... just remove the casting marks, do not make the ports larger... If you make the ports larger in diameter, you have to make them longer in length... if not the air will lose velocity and cause a performance loss… That intake is tuned for that diameter and that runner length, porting the runners might destroy it.

testing was done on the coyote intake... same principal.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-stock-ported-boss-w-stock-vs-cai-intake.html

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I will say, I didn't exactly port the intake. I removed part of the injector boss, completely removed the triangular corner pieces and may have opened the port some. Not much.

But adding 15-20rwhp... Obviously it worked. If your NA, it's absolutely worth it. Every little bit counts. I'm at 450rwhp still planning on e85, headers, over axle pipes, and 84.5mm throttle body. Still have plenty of more power to make with just bolt ons.

4VFTW

Established Member
I wondered about open the TB connection area by removing the fins, I also wondered why Ford put them there as well, what that might do to air entering the prelim... Cause monster turbulence, swirls and cross currents? i dunno

I think Ford was trying to reinvent the wheel with the intake fins...I have never seen another intake with them and I see nothing special about the stock intake or Boss that would necessitate them , the CJ intake doesn't have them. I removed them and there was zero negative effect , no added noise , no idle issues , nothing.

calebnumber3

Established Member
How would one go about porting their Boss IM? Iv never done any kind of port job, and not sure if I would feel comfortable doing it myself.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I remember seeing a video about why they added the fins (I think its in the boss owners kit)

I believe it was to reduce turbulence...they also showed the intake on a flow bench and a computer simulation of airflow in the intake. They put some thought into it, but if you guys are seeing positive real world results then you can't argue with that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread