Thoughts on Switching from KB To On3??!!

4stang6

Established Member
I've been contemplating for a little bit on saleing my 2.8H Kenne Bell and going with an On3 Kit....
I understand I'm going from a good quality product to a somewhat of a bad quality product, I have heard good things here and there about On3, But most definitely that their V Bands suck....
Anyways , Reason I'm wanting to change is to try and make more power with pumo gas VS having to convert to E85, Then getting a 55 gallon drum filled every 1 to 2 months because the closest E85 station to me is 1.5 hrs away....
Another reason is due to being in Texas, Intake air temps get crazy hot, Which is expected on a KB Car, But if I go On3, It might be less stress on my motor.

Thoughts ??

Steve Cea

Established Member
I would say no and invest in a thriller chiller and or a methanol injection kit to battle power robbing heat ! Heat is no issue with my car , AC is free and methanol is cheap and plentiful everywhere ,!!! I'm actually surprised more in hot climates don't use it !!!!! Such proven technology for building safe reliable horsepower !!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve Cea

Established Member
Also keep in mind a good methanol injection kit like made by snow performance will take 91 octane fuel and converts it to basically 116 octane race fuel !!!! I love my kit , all I did was convert my windshield washer bottle to my methanol injection bottle. Nice clean simple install !!!!! And it's basically invisible to the eye !!!!

4stang6

Established Member
Also keep in mind a good methanol injection kit like made by snow performance will take 91 octane fuel and converts it to basically 116 octane race fuel !!!! I love my kit , all I did was convert my windshield washer bottle to my methanol injection bottle. Nice clean simple install !!!!! And it's basically invisible to the eye !!!!

Thanks for the response,
Man ive read so much on a Meth Kit, and on the Killer Chiller.
With the Meth kit it seems so many people are worried about the pump failing, Too many people would state it works good, Only when its working, Catastrophic failture when it doesnt.
and with the Killer chiller, Ive read it can put a strain on your ac system, Dont know how true that is, But none the less that info is there....
I would like the Killer Chiller idea better i think....

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thanks for the response,
With the Meth kit it seems so many people are worried about the pump failing, Too many people would state it works good, Only when its working, Catastrophic failture when it doesnt.
and with the Killer chiller, Ive read it can put a strain on your ac system, Dont know how true that is, But none the less that info is there....

Could look into pairing it with a J&S Vampire so if the meth fails it won't cost you an engine.

KEVINS

Established Member
I have the J&S Vampire and a Malcoms Lean Protection Module on my car and I think Both are great safety components when running meth inj and there are also pressure switches that can be used to monitor pump pressure, etc.

ks

Steve Cea

Established Member
Don't listen to the Methanol injection nonsense people talk about and here is why . Many people install a kit like this then they run to there tuner to get the car tuned running on methanol! Now true you will get even more power with a tune but it's not required at all !! And these kits like the ones made by Snow Performance have fail-safes built right in telling you of pump failure ( I've never seen this ) these pumps are super heavy duty and also if your running low on methanol as well , but if you keep your current tune as I did , my Cobra made 608 hp on motor alone , adding the Methanol is just going to boost your octane and seriously drop your intake air temps close to 100 degrees or more ! The first time I ran my 03 on the Dyno with methanol, that spray on a 90 degree day produced an extra 55 hp at the wheels pushing me to 663 hp on 3 pulls just 5 minutes apart ! Tell me that's not worth it nevermind all the good its actually doing for your motor !!!!!! And so easy to install . Methanol injection kits have been around for a long time ! Buick Grand Nationals been using it for decades !! Don't believe the hype and what some people say , if they had a Methanol problem it was either a cheap kit or the car was tuned to run it so as soon as they ran out DETONATION and bye bye motor !!! I've never had any issues either with a full tank of boost juice or empty . But I'm telling you ! You get what you pay for , by a $200 methanol injection kit your asking for trouble , any GOOD RELIBEL AND WELL MADE KIT IS GONNA COST YOU BETWEEN $450-$500 worth every penny in my book !!!!

Steve Cea

Established Member
I have the J&S Vampire and a Malcoms Lean Protection Module on my car and I think Both are great safety components when running meth inj and there are also pressure switches that can be used to monitor pump pressure, etc.

ks
The snow kit comes with that built in as well , it delivers spray based on boost

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for the response,

The problem with meth is when people use it as a fuel source to make up for an under sized fuel system. Losing the pump = lean = boom in that case.

When using it to cool the charge, if the pump fails the tune (if a good one) should be able to pull timing/add fuel to compensate for the increased IATs.

Steve Cea

Established Member
Are you suggesting to NOT tune the vehicle for methanol IF you have a kit installed?
I'm not only suggesting it I'm living proof of it !! Even Snow Performance states it's not required if your looking for modest gains (50 or so hp and no detonation) so yes a tune is NOT REQUIRED unless your really going for big added power numbers

4stang6

Established Member
I want my car to be 100% as safe as possible if I were to stick with the KB and go the Methanol route.
My intake temps are very very high, Like 135dg driving.....
And I have an Afco Dual Pass HE , And a New intercooler pump.
And the pump is flowing fluid for sure, They are just crazy high

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'm not only suggesting it I'm living proof of it !! Even Snow Performance states it's not required if your looking for modest gains (50 or so hp and no detonation) so yes a tune is NOT REQUIRED unless your really going for big added power numbers

Interesting, I always thought the gains were from the ability to add timing with the increased octane kind of like E85 (ignoring second order benefits). Obviously if your tune is already good and you just add meth then a pump failure would not be an issue. Didn't think you really gained anything on Meth alone. Learned something new.

If your injecting meth without an adjusted tune wouldn't you be a bit rich from the added fuel? I guess if not much + the very low stoich point of Meth it doesn't become an issue?

KEVINS

Established Member
Interesting, I always thought the gains were from the ability to add timing with the increased octane kind of like E85 (ignoring second order benefits). Obviously if your tune is already good and you just add meth then a pump failure would not be an issue. Didn't think you really gained anything on Meth alone. Learned something new.

If your injecting meth without an adjusted tune wouldn't you be a bit rich from the added fuel? I guess if not much + the very low stoich point of Meth it doesn't become an issue?

It depends on how much meth your adding. If you're simply spraying a little bit to cool things off that's one way of tuning. If you're going for a lot of power then you will need a lot of meth and it becomes a fuel. I made 720hp on 91oct/100% meth but I was spraying a LOT of meth and it becomes a fuel at this point so the tune is adjusted to take advantage of it.

ks

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ive helped install part of the ON kit. The fitment or lack of leaves alot to be desired. The fitment is just terrible and you'll end up replacing most of the items like BOV, wastegate, boost controller & turbo..

Users who are viewing this thread