Thoughts on the MAC 3" Cat-Back

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
I got a really good deal on this $250 shipped and it was brand new in the box, I couldn't turn it down. I had been planning on doing a Magnaflow SS Catback but this deal came along and I jumped on it.

Please tell me I didn't hose myself by getting the 3" system.

Kind of late to be asking since its already been installed, But I have to know if I made a mistake. Going to get the car tomorrow when I get off work, I imagine it will sound pretty sweet compared to just having flowmasters welded in.

Any Thoughts?

-Adam

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Well my brother who has an 09 Challanger R/T told me that on the dodge forums the guys over there said to stay away from the 3" systems and stick with the 2.5" as you would loose HP with the 3", something to do with back preasure, I don't know.

I realize my car is different than a Hemi, and I would think that the way the 4V loves to breath it might benifit more from the larger 3" piping, even though the H-pipe is still 2.5" so it "shouldn't" make that much of a difference I wouldn't guess.

Just curious as I haven't seen anyone else on here talk about running this system, wanted to make sure it wasn't because of some kind of issue.

I know one thing, its gonna look nice from the rear of the car, those 3" pipes are huge!

Thanks,

Adam

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
3" pipe is better suited for forced induction or large displacement.

Way too much pipe for stock n/a 4.6L

You'll will lose some low end tq and hp

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
3" pipe is better suited for forced induction or large displacement.

Way too much pipe for stock n/a 4.6L

You'll will lose some low end tq and hp

This is true, but isn't it more so for the whole exhaust system? I would be interested to see if just a 3" catback loses power.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Mac is very similar to flowmaster so there wont be that different. they are both chambered mufflers. I had mac for 1 day and got rid of it, dont like the chambered style of sound.

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
Mac is very similar to flowmaster so there wont be that different. they are both chambered mufflers. I had mac for 1 day and got rid of it, dont like the chambered style of sound.

I LOVE the sound of Mac. I don't think it sounds like flowmaster, yes they are similar, but IMO Mac has a distinct tone that sets it apart.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
I LOVE the sound of Mac. I don't think it sounds like flowmaster, yes they are similar, but IMO Mac has a distinct tone that sets it apart.

+1 I have the MAC 2.5". I love it sounds great even with the stock cats. I didn't dyno but the HP gain by SOTP was one of the best of any mod on any Mustang I've ever owned. I got mine used, no dents or scratches for $120.00 dollars. highly recomended

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
If all you've got is the 3" MAC exhaust with the stock headers and mid-pipe, you really aren't gaining or losing anything. The mid-pipe is where you really pick up your power b/c the stock cats hold you back. With just an exhaust and nothing else, it's really more about what kind of sound you prefer. If you like it, I'd keep it with no worries.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had the MAC 2.5" system and I don't think it sounds anything like a Flowmaster. A buddy of mine had the 3" system on his 03. It sounded pretty good. I think you'll be happy with the sound.

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Yeah unfortunately for me I live in an area that has Emissions Testing each year so I plan on keeping Cats, I do however want to get some Long Tubes and X or H pipe with Cats to complete the exhaust. I'm bummed that MAC quite making Prochambers w/ Cats.

You guys think if I got some Mac LT's and Offroad Prochamber and then got some aftermarket Cats someone could modify the Shorty Prochamber and outfit it with Cats?

Anyone heard of this being done?

Thanks,

Adam

Sny714

Established Member
Yeah unfortunately for me I live in an area that has Emissions Testing each year so I plan on keeping Cats, I do however want to get some Long Tubes and X or H pipe with Cats to complete the exhaust. I'm bummed that MAC quite making Prochambers w/ Cats.

You guys think if I got some Mac LT's and Offroad Prochamber and then got some aftermarket Cats someone could modify the Shorty Prochamber and outfit it with Cats?

Anyone heard of this being done?

Thanks,

Adam

Im sure an exhaust shop can fit cats in without a problem. I was also looking for a catted midpipe to match my mac catback and mac LTs headers 3 years ago when I bought the car. Im now thinking about adding cats to my vrs O/R X instead of purchasing a catted one for $400. But after not driving the car for awhile I forgot how good it sounds uncatted, so right now cats arent in my future yet. I dont think you will lose that much HP, maybe some low end tq but its not like you have a full 3" exhaust system you are putting on.

Users who are viewing this thread