Thoughts on this Cobra...possible buy??

Moco cobra

I posted for the first time a month or so back regarding advice on 2 different cobras that I was interested in. Well, neither car worked out. So, not being in a rush to go out and purchase a cobra that wasn't exactly, or real close to what I'm looking for (low mileage, stock or bolt on's, nothing too built)...I have patiently waited to find another car that fits said description. So here I am back for advice lol...mainly just concerning $ as the car is mechanically stock other than a triax shifter. Asking $11,900. I'm thinking more in the $10,500 ball park. Thoughts?

Car: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/6198501936.html

jgt58

Established Member
That car has been on Craigslist for about 8 9 months. I live in Knoxville and see it on Craigslist all the time

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

Moco cobra

That car has been on Craigslist for about 8 9 months. I live in Knoxville and see it on Craigslist all the time

Huh...well it was posted in Eastern NC 3 days ago so I've just recently come across it. Maybe people scared of the price? $12k seems a little high for a bone stock 96' w/ 45k. I doubt it would still be for sale if it was nicely modded w/45k.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Not quite your area or car mileage, but a pricing curve from CarGurus that might give you some perspective:

Link

Cobra price curve.JPG

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I'd think you could find a much better deal on a car with more performance and better chance for appreciation.

A few years ago I bought a built 94 Cobra 347 stroker - completely sorted and upgraded from front to back - for $8,500. Car ran 11's easy. Drove it for a year and got my money out of it. Only reason I sold was to help buy my '14 GT.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I am not justifying the pricing - just providing another source of information.

I bought a 97 Cobra PG coupe with 66K last Fall. Completely stock and very nice condition for $7K.

Moco cobra

Whatever happened to the black one you were looking at in Suffolk??

It wasnt 100% what i was looking for...4.30 gears, etc. So I kinda put it on the back burner and figured I'd buy it if i didn't find something i liked better. It sold soon after my last post.

jgt58

Established Member
Just found a low mileage bone stock one with black interior for 4k

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Guys, imo mileage is a joke in the sn95. They all suffer broken odometer gears at some point, making their mileage inaccurate. Just a point from a former sn95 guy. If I were in the market, I wouldn't be to impressed with low mileage on the odo. A straight clean car would highly out weigh low mileage.....

Users who are viewing this thread