Three best road going cars

rev440

young punk
Established Member
If Im not mistakes these cars started out being race cars and to comply with the FIA rules of having 25 road going examples the following were produced. As I said if im not mistaken, I very well might be

First the McLaren F1 which IMO is the best car ever made. One of the most sought after cars ever made if not they most IMO.

All variants in the car are in this picture, long tail GTR and regular road car

mclaren-f1-supercars.jpg

Top gear
[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cvfl_mclaren-f1-627hp-worlds-fastest-str_auto"]Dailymotion - Mclaren F1 627hp Worlds fastest street legal car - Top Gear - a Auto-Moto video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x6cvfl_mclaren@@AMEPARAM@@x6cvfl_mclaren[/ame]

Second CLK-GTR, one of my favorite not many people know about it
Race car
gpx1551.jpg

Street Car
e_mercedes_clk_gtr_11.jpg

Roadster one of only 5 ever produced
Mercedes%20Clk-Gtr%20Roadster.jpg

The top gear for the cars boring they drive it in the rain/snow so heres a better video
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/jason-plato-driving-a-CLK_101426.htm"]jason plato driving a modified CLK GTR owned by Mo - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

Thirdly and a VERY rare car the Porsche 993 GT1. The switched the lights in the 98 season to a 996 configuartion.

993 race car
Porsche_GT1_993.jpg

996 street car
porsche_gt1-20.jpg

Top Gear episode of the race car
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCRCfjL0ME&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Porsche 911 GT1 Review[/ame]

Last edited:

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
The Mclaren F1 is the most impresive car ever. It's amazing how ahead of it's time that car was. Still in present day nothing about it seems to be outdated even when compared to todays newest supercars. I mean really, a full Titanium exhaust system including the headers. That's just plain sick!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
At one time those were the Veyron of the car world with price tags on each of $1mil. I've seen the MB roadster in person a few years ago at the Seattle car show. Definitely some of the sweetest cars made and I would add the XJ220 and Lotus Elise GT1 to that since they were all in the same class.

Steeda52

The New Guy
Established Member
Man i was gonna put that CLK-GTR if you didnt post it, 911 GT1 as well. I like the 993 version better though.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
The McLaren F1 won LeMans first time out. Something only Jaguar and Ferrari have done before. A very big deal in itself, what makes the McLaren so special is a works team was never fielded by Woking.

The CLK-LM from 1998 is whats referred to as an "immortal car", having won every race it entered (1998 FIA GT championship). Only 2 other cars have ever done this to my knowledge: The 1967 MK IV GT40 and the 1969 McLaren M8B.

The car below should have been on the top of the list:

2932087629_e9e890ae34.jpg

Bruce McLaren took this example below

Ford%20GT40_64.jpg

Ford%20GT40_64_2.jpg

And later cut the roof off and squared off the back, turning it into a Can-Am GT40

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Its always been the F1 and the F50 followed probably by the NSX (attainable!!) for me. Perhaps because they were the cars when i was like 6 years old and they were both on my wall. Even now though, I don't believe there are purer drivers cars then the F50 and F1. The Enzo is too diluted and the F40 has a turbocharged engine which isn't my favorite. The CLK and GT1 are great, but they're really just race cars and don't work on the road.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
Appauling, no GT40. The GT40 is one of the greatest cars ever made. The impact that car had is what started everything. The Muira was produced after the GT40, and the Muira is considered the Genisis of the modern Exotic.

Also, there's no F40. Another car that shattered the idea of a supercar. The technology behind that car and the pure speed it can achieve on any track redefined what an exotic supercar can do and how it can be designed.

Also, I think the NSX deserves some credit. It was the first "exotic" that proved a supercar can be reliable, and a comforting car off the track, as well as fast on the track.

I admit the F1 is probably considered by most as the "best" supercar of all time and I agree it is extremely impressive, however the 1 million price tag in the early 90s kinda has me straying away from the title of "best". I mean, for 1 million any car can be blindingly fast and this car showed it. The performance in inarguable. You cannot refute how fast it was, but again for 1 million dollars, that can buy you a lot of performance. And don't think the F1 pioneered the center driving position for a road car. That was done by Lamborghini many years ago.

Last edited:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
Appauling, no GT40. The GT40 is one of the greatest cars ever made. The impact that car had is what started everything. The Muira was produced after the GT40, and the Muira is considered the Genisis of the modern Exotic.

Also, there's no F40. Another car that shattered the idea of a supercar. The technology behind that car and the pure speed it can achieve on any track redefined what an exotic supercar can do and how it can be designed.

Also, I think the NSX deserves some credit. It was the first "exotic" that proved a supercar can be reliable, and a comforting car off the track, as well as fast on the track.

I admit the F1 is probably considered by most as the "best" supercar of all time and I agree it is extremely impressive, however the 1 million price tag in the early 90s kinda has me straying away from the title of "best". I mean, for 1 million any car can be blindingly fast and this car showed it. The performance in inarguable. You cannot refute how fast it was, but again for 1 million dollars, that can buy you a lot of performance. And don't think the F1 pioneered the center driving position for a road car. That was done by Lamborghini many years ago.

I see your missing the point. These cars were only created to race and due to FIA rules 25 road going version had to be produced. The F40 didnt do anything impressive on the track. These cars all won many races. Lambo might of been the first to do it put McLaren was the first to actually produce a road going car that had it. The McLaren is one of the most high tech cars in the world in 1995. It has gold lineing the engine bay. It was 600k to begin with not a million as well. Theses cars dont even compare to a NSX, I think its really funny you even bring that car up.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
The Porsche 959 was a far more technologically important, better and winning car than the F40. I was also introduced to the market a full 3 years prior to the F40.

F40 has the distinction of being the last car Enzo was a part of before he died, and the first production car with an advertised 200 MPH top speed. Which is why it garners attention.

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I see your missing the point. These cars were only created to race and due to FIA rules 25 road going version had to be produced. The F40 didnt do anything impressive on the track. These cars all won many races. Lambo might of been the first to do it put McLaren was the first to actually produce a road going car that had it. The McLaren is one of the most high tech cars in the world in 1995. It has gold lineing the engine bay. It was 600k to begin with not a million as well. Theses cars dont even compare to a NSX, I think its really funny you even bring that car up.

Do some research?

-The F1 was originally created as strictly a road car. Sales were slow so a racing version was then created to boost sales.

-It was as near as makes no difference, $1,000,000 USD

-Aside from the aforementioned exotic materials, the F1 was a fairly simple machine. Nothing in the way of electronic aides or electrically adjustable components. Not even power steering.

-The F40 has considerable racing history

-Gordon Murray was so impressed by the NSX that it was actually an inspiration for the Mclaren F1. You have to remember, Mclaren formula one cars were powered by Honda engines at the time the NSX was created, and Murray originally asked Honda to build the engine for his car. The F1 is more similar in concept to the NSX than any other car. (Very lightweight, extremely responsive and high revving mid mounted N/A engine, 2wd, designed for the express purpose of being a drivers car, usable on the street etc etc)

Quote from Murray himself:
"The visit related to the fact that at the time, McLaren's F1 Grand Prix cars were using Honda engines. Although it's true I had thought it would have been better to put a larger engine, the moment I drove the Honda NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target. Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine."

:smmon::read:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread