Throttle Body For Ported TVS??

BlownPony306

Established Member
I am looking for recommendations on a throttle body for my blower swap. I already have a VMP 72mm but in talking to BJ he said he won't tune a car with one. So looking for other solutions. I hate throwing more money at something I already have but is the 72 that bad? I see a few threads here and there but most seemed to be resolved with a tune. I suppose I can sell the 72 and find a CJ mono if that is the best route to go. This will all be going on my 08. Stock bottom end. Full off-road exhaust. JLT CAI. Planning on a BAP and some bigger injectors at the same time.

HKusp

Established Member
I use BJ, am running a BAP, Twin 65mm FRPP throttle body, 52lb/hr injectors and a Gen2r. I dyno'd at 656 at the rear wheels with 140k miles on the car.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I am looking for recommendations on a throttle body for my blower swap. I already have a VMP 72mm but in talking to BJ he said he won't tune a car with one. So looking for other solutions. I hate throwing more money at something I already have but is the 72 that bad? I see a few threads here and there but most seemed to be resolved with a tune. I suppose I can sell the 72 and find a CJ mono if that is the best route to go. This will all be going on my 08. Stock bottom end. Full off-road exhaust. JLT CAI. Planning on a BAP and some bigger injectors at the same time.
Good luck with your choice......Curious why BJ won't tune a 72 ?
I've run ( 2 ) FRPP mono-blades successfully, but I seem to be in a minority..

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
BJ had one on his car at one time. My understanding with the 72mm was it worked on some cars and not others. VMP didn't manufacture it very long, likely for that reason. I think BPS had something of similar size that didn't pan out either. Ford has calibrations for everything it sells and they have the resources to figure things like that out. That's not the case for other aftermarket throttle bodies, so it's incumbent on the tuner to figure it out by trial and error. If a tuner figures out a calibration, they're not likely to share it because they probably have a lot of time and effort involved in it. Then I understand that the smaller actuator motors that modulate the OEM 60mm twins, and all other aftermarket offerings, doesn't always play well when larger bores and heavier throttle plates are used to increase the airflow, especially when it gets hot. So you may have a tune that works, but your big ass throttle body might still fail safe. Who are you gonna blame?

Users who are viewing this thread