Throttle body spring upgrade

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Just curious if there is a stiffer spring we can upgrade in our throttle bodies? While on the dyno the throttle was just slamming shut causing the engine to go into fail safe mode, but Lund was able to adjust it in the tune. However, now when it's cold and I'm pulling out in first or reverse I have been stalling out and at stop signs the rpms drop to around 400-500. I am assuming it is doing this because of when he adjusted the tune. My other question is if I can upgrade the spring would it help? Anyone with the 168mm KB having/had the same issue? Thanks all!

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member
All of what you mention is adjustable in the tune. I will say that Kenne Bell throttle bodies are what caused me to yank the KB and put on a vmp gen 2.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Call Lund at Lund Racing or BJ at VMP. They are your best chance at a fix.

Lund Racing
Phone: 484-442-0495

BJ
321-206-9369
Phone hours are Monday through Thursday:
-9AM-Noon
-1PM-5PM
Phone Hours Friday:
-9AM-2PM
We are closed daily for lunch from Noon to 1PM

Last edited:

sono

Established Member
I feel ya! I love my setup but I have settled on the fact that the car has to be warm. Also extreme heat in South Florida causes expansion. So it seems like a perfect stock ride quality is a bit hard to achieve.

If you start the car 5 minutes before you head out is it ok?
The other option is to go down to the twin 75mm and cage some ponies.

I get it, when its cold you feel like that scene from "gone in 60 seconds" when Eleanor stalls, and he is slamming his hands on the wheel.

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member
The KB throttle bodies works great. I suggest you talk to your tuner. I've used both the Big Oval and Dual 75mm without issues.

I wouldn't buy KB again if it were the only other option but stock. If you mean contact your tuner you mean Lund only then yeah. He's the only one that's going to open those ranges up so it doesn't failsafe. That's who they recommend for a reason. If my car got hot the throttle stuck and it would failsafe at WOT when shifting out of 3rd almost every time. Good luck to the OP. I really hope you get it lined out.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Thanks guys for the responses! I'll talk to Lund and see what he says. I just figured it was a weak spring. That mini is huge and I don't know how old my TB spring is still nice I bought my old TB used. I definitely don't want to drop down to the 75. If I let it warm up for a couple minutes it's fine. Just when it's cold does it have this issue.

Joewee500

Established Member
It says in his post that John Lund is his tuner if I'm not mistaken... So this is a Lund problem?

You are correct. I challenge anyone to call their number and ask about tuning. They will say Jon Lund is the only tuner that knows their calibration. I'm sure some datalogs and emails back and forth will get you lined out. It's a tuning issue 100% but according to KB there shouldn't be an issue. I hope you get it fixed because I know your pain.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Yeah I'll shoot him a datalog of it and get it hashed out. Hopefully it won't be too much to take care of. The throttle body is awesome aside from that. It's a beautiful piece and massive. Just didn't know if the stock spring was strong enough or if the spring could be upgraded for smoother operation. Thanks!

Snoopy49

Established Member
Where is the spring located?

Electronic Throttle Body (ETB)
The ETB has the following characteristics:

• The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor is a DC motor controlled by the PCM (requires 2 wires).
  • There are 2 designs: parallel and inline. The parallel design has the motor under the bore parallel to the plate shaft. The motor housing is integrated into the main housing. The inline design has a separate motor housing.
  • An internal spring is used in both designs to return the throttle plate to a default position. The default position is typically a throttle angle of 7 to 8 degrees from the hard stop angle.
  • The closed throttle plate hard stop prevents the throttle from binding in the bore. This hard stop setting is not adjustable and is set to result in less airflow than the minimum engine airflow required at idle.
  • The required idle airflow is provided by the plate angle in the throttle body assembly.
  • There is one reference voltage and one signal return circuit between the PCM and the ETB. The reference voltage and the signal return circuits are shared with the reference voltage and signal return circuits used by the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor. There are also 2 throttle position (TP) signal circuits for redundancy. The redundant TP signals are required for increased monitoring reasons. The first TP signal (TP1) has a negative slope (increasing angle, decreasing voltage) and the second TP signal (TP2) has a positive slope (increasing angle, increasing voltage). The TP2 signal reaches a limit of approximately 4.5 volts at approximately 45 degrees of throttle angle.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
You are correct. I challenge anyone to call their number and ask about tuning. They will say Jon Lund is the only tuner that knows their calibration. I'm sure some datalogs and emails back and forth will get you lined out. It's a tuning issue 100% but according to KB there shouldn't be an issue. I hope you get it fixed because I know your pain.
You challenge to call who's number and ask about tuning?

Joewee500

Established Member
The kenne bell tech line. I've called many times and so have others I know. If you say you are having a throttle body related issue the first thing they ask is who is your tuner. I've had them literally laugh at me at the mention of my tuner then go on to say Lund is the only person that can tune their TB. So give it a shot and see.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
The kenne bell tech line. I've called many times and so have others I know. If you say you are having a throttle body related issue the first thing they ask is who is your tuner. I've had them literally laugh at me at the mention of my tuner then go on to say Lund is the only person that can tune their TB. So give it a shot and see.

Kenne Bell has provided incredible support to me for over 5 years. It seems you don't know that Kenne Bell does their own tuning that ships with their complete kits. In addition, they offer tuner packages when a custom tune is required. It only makes sense that they recommend a company with a great reputation like Lund Racing to insure a happy customer.

Your posts indicate there was only 30-60 days between your thread about your KB TB issues and your for sale post saying you bought a TVS a month earlier. This doesn't seem like much time passed and I'm curious what you did to resolve the issues make you hold a grudge and bash Kenne Bell. I'm all for letting people know when a vendor sells crap but it just doesn't look this way to me. Your posts raise a few questions. They are:
  1. Did you buy the new big oval TB from Van you mentioned in October 2014 to resolve the issue?
  2. Did you get on a dyno before swapping to a TVS blower?
  3. Did you datalog after saying you couldn't because you didn't have a wideband sensor?
  4. What other remedies did you try in this short period of time?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Kenne Bell has provided incredible support to me for over 5 years. It seems you don't know that Kenne Bell does their own tuning that ships with their complete kits. In addition, they offer tuner packages when a custom tune is required. It only makes sense that they recommend a company with a great reputation like Lund Racing to insure a happy customer.

Your posts indicate there was only 30-60 days between your thread about your KB TB issues and your for sale post saying you bought a TVS a month earlier. This doesn't seem like much time passed and I'm curious what you did to resolve the issues make you hold a grudge and bash Kenne Bell. I'm all for letting people know when a vendor sells crap but it just doesn't look this way to me. Your posts raise a few questions. They are:
  1. Did you buy the new big oval TB from Van you mentioned in October 2014 to resolve the issue?
  2. Did you get on a dyno before swapping to a TVS blower?
  3. Did you datalog after saying you couldn't because you didn't have a wideband sensor?
  4. What other remedies did you try in this short period of time?

+1
Kenne Bell Tech support has been awesome with me as well! Something I messed up they sent me the right part with no questions asked as well as hooked me up with the right tech info to fix the issue. Can't complain about them one bit.

Joewee500

Established Member
Hmm. Let's see. You're right, my grudge runs deep. My car came with the kenne bell twin 75. Failsafed every single time it went wot. I did not purchase the oval TB at that time. Shipped car off. It was indeed dyno tuned with the KB75 as well as 2 ported 75mms. There was no issue on the dyno. I get my car back and once the car sits and idles or is turned off and back on the throttle response is garbage and stuck wide open on several occasions. I datalogged the car many many times and captured the failsafe in the log. I called Kenne Bell and they laughed at my tuner and said use Lund or risk the car not running right. This happened twice. I called Van and was told the latest throttle body was different, series 9 I think. I got it, opened the box and found the plunger and spring were weaker on this series. Before even installing it I purchased the VMP kit and never looked back. Sold the KB with 2 pulleys and 2 TBs for 1/4 the cost and couldn't be happier. The KB works for most but never ran right for me.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Hmm. Let's see. You're right, my grudge runs deep. My car came with the kenne bell twin 75. Failsafed every single time it went wot. I did not purchase the oval TB at that time. Shipped car off. It was indeed dyno tuned with the KB75 as well as 2 ported 75mms. There was no issue on the dyno. I get my car back and once the car sits and idles or is turned off and back on the throttle response is garbage and stuck wide open on several occasions. I datalogged the car many many times and captured the failsafe in the log. I called Kenne Bell and they laughed at my tuner and said use Lund or risk the car not running right. This happened twice. I called Van and was told the latest throttle body was different, series 9 I think. I got it, opened the box and found the plunger and spring were weaker on this series. Before even installing it I purchased the VMP kit and never looked back. Sold the KB with 2 pulleys and 2 TBs for 1/4 the cost and couldn't be happier. The KB works for most but never ran right for me.

Are you saying that you bought the TB used, didn't follow any advice from Kenne Bell or their resellers on a remedy, and you replaced the blower quickly before trying any fix? If this is true, and you combine this history with the thousands of successful installs and proven performance, it seems you don't have a reason to bash Kenne Bell and should stop your unwarranted campaign against them.

Users who are viewing this thread