Throttle cable source

bkaul

Established Member
Does anyone know of a source for a new throttle cable? Part # is 1R3Z9A758CA, but it's obsolete, not in stock at any dealer in the country, and there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket version available ... mine's getting a bit frayed, and I'd like to replace it before it sticks or breaks.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I found mine on eBay for $40 shipped.

There's a new one on there for $150 right now (rip off) :dw:

If I were you I would put a WTB ad here for 99/01 or Mach1 throttle cable.

Also have you checked Tousley Ford? They had some discontinued stuff in their inventory that I bought some time ago.

bkaul

Established Member
Thanks for the Ford Parts links, but those just let you place an online order through a local Ford dealer's parts department, and both Tousley and my local dealer said that no dealer anywhere in the US has one in stock; they can't get one. Green Sales Company doesn't have any either. I did place a WTB ad here; guess I'll keep my eye on eBay as well, though I'm not thinking I really want to pay $150 if I can help it ...

I wonder what other Ford vehicles might have a similar enough cable to work ... I'm assuming the difference between most of the model year/trim level variations is length due to different throttle body positioning. If I could find one that's a little longer, as opposed to a little shorter, I could make it work.

JetDoc

Established Member
Did you have any luck finding one? My cable is frayed and causing my throttle to stick at times at 1500 rpm....These things
are getting pretty rare.

JetDoc

Established Member
Just to give an update....I could not find one, at least not under 200 bucks. Being a mountain biker, I noticed that the cable is the same size as my supply of XTR V brake cables. I simply used a new Shimano XTR brake cable, the original housing from Ford and fabricated a cable stop at the pedal. Problem solved for less than 5 bucks!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Just to give an update....I could not find one, at least not under 200 bucks. Being a mountain biker, I noticed that the cable is the same size as my supply of XTR V brake cables. I simply used a new Shimano XTR brake cable, the original housing from Ford and fabricated a cable stop at the pedal. Problem solved for less than 5 bucks!

Awesome!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member

If you made and sold those you would make a killing...LOL

just the issue of liability that would scare me away from doing it

JetDoc

Established Member
If you made and sold those you would make a killing...LOL

just the issue of liability that would scare me away from doing it

"Necessity is the mother of invention".

Thats why I updated this thread....Just wanted to share what worked for me..I'm a cheap bastard in my old age!

Users who are viewing this thread