throttle response

chao5.0

Established Member
I'm wondering what is more helpful towards getting my car to have better throttle response during heel-toe downshifting. I read that tuning the car can make it respond better through the tq management but I'm also wondering if swapping in a CF driveshaft and a new lighter clutch with an aluminum flywheel would be more responsive. my car is stock performance wise minus a SW cat-back and a AEM dry filter and if I can avoid tuning it I will because the power is enough now for the current suspension setup. so those of you that have tunes did the car get more responsive with them? those with lightweight driveshafts and/or clutches how did the car respond to those mods?

08mojo

Established Member
The driveshaft will not help with your throttle response in the manner you are looking (rev-match for downshifts or free-revving). The flywheel should make a noticeable difference. I believe the issue is really in the tune. Seems like the factory tune makes the 'drive by wire' response lazy when there is no load on the engine. I swear I can get through the revs faster in first gear than I can in neutral...

chao5.0

Established Member
oh it is extremely lazy, I can blip the throttle and it will literally just hesitate and not rev, I almost have to stab it to get a response from it. I'll be changing the clutch and flywheel out anyways but I just want to know if that will help the most but I think you're right the tune is where most of the gain will come from. the driveshaft will help just not as much as the tune or clutch/flywheel combo.

mfc133

Established Member
oh it is extremely lazy, I can blip the throttle and it will literally just hesitate and not rev, I almost have to stab it to get a response from it. I'll be changing the clutch and flywheel out anyways but I just want to know if that will help the most but I think you're right the tune is where most of the gain will come from. the driveshaft will help just not as much as the tune or clutch/flywheel combo.

Do the Ford Racing Track Key/Track Cal tune, the increase in throttle response is amazing.

08mojo

Established Member

How do you figure the driveshaft will help? Everything from the pressure plate back is decoupled from the engine and will have zero effect on how fast the engine can free-rev. A carbon/lightweight driveshaft will help with acceleration a tiny amount (very negligible and probably hard to even measure), but will do nothing to make the car easier to rev-match.

chao5.0

Established Member
it will help with revving the engine after the clutch is re-engaged which is also another area the car needs improvement. I wouldn't do the driveshaft without the clutch/flywheel combo.

Users who are viewing this thread