Throw Out Bearing a real problem? Oh and brakes too.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Ok I definitely have the TOB squeal and just need to know how worried I should be about getting it taken care of? The car SEEMS to run fine for now, but the squeal is VERY annoying and since I'm modded, the dealer obviously won't fix it.

Second question is that I've heard the dealers won't warranty the brakes past a certain mileage. Mine work fine but have been squeaking for a while and want it taken care of under warranty. Thanks.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
If your mods didnt cause the problem they should stiil fix it under warranty. Bone stock cars have had TOB problems and their is also a new TOB part number because the one from the factory was not holding up well.

Will's97

Established Member
I know of a new clutch kit part # but did not know about the New TOB part #. Do you know the new TOB #?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The TOB will destroy the retainer sleeve thingy and require a new tranny. So if you want a new T56, let it go. But if your T56 shifts well and you want to keep it, get it fixed quickly.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Drop the tranny and replace the TB with a good one before you end up destroying that tranny. It's a lot cheaper to put in a new TOB than buy a new T56.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Drop the tranny and replace the TB with a good one before you end up destroying that tranny. It's a lot cheaper to put in a new TOB than buy a new T56.

i just want to know if anyone has had success getting dealers to replace then with big mods like chip and pulley

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Even if they don't, a mechanic who's not ripping you off will swap the TOB for $200-300. If it's a buddy, you might be able to get it for beer. The part is cheap. It's all labor.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
ok listen i've had the problem for a couple thousand miles i'm guessing, maybe more. how long/when will i know i'm starting to have problems?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Eventually the TOB will destroy the sleeve it's in. And the sleeve is part of the tranny casting. Who knows when it'll fail, it could be months, it could be today.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Replace mine when the trans was out. 30 bucks from Ford. If you have a stock h-pipe you don't need to remove it unlike the 5.0's. If you have a lift it won't take long. I did it on the ground. Best of luck.:beer:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Don't know but I should have check before it did it. Oh well I tight them as tight or tighter. I do know Ford used some kind of lock-tite stuff so i did the like. The hardest part of the job is removing and installing the top bolts and lining up the trans. We put the trans in 1st gears and put the drive shaft in to rotate the trans to line up the splines.

ltv1

Established Member
My TOB just went, add it to the list. I am not de-modding to take it in, it would cost more than getting a new (and supposedly improved) one put in along with a Steeda firewall adj. clutch quadrant. I was told, take it FWIW, that the replacement OEM TOB's sucked in comparison to a few in the aftermarket. That means it will go out again, I have 7K on my car and have already (<5K) replaced a T-56. I am not messing with my transmission anymore. Why they put a vehicle out with such a strong engine and weak clutch is a mystery to me. Whatever.:shrug:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
ltv1: Getting an aftermarket TOB and a firewall adj/clutch quad is the right way to go. Don't get Steeda's though. IT sukcs. Get UPR's new adjuster and quad. And use the stock cable. That's the way to do it.

ltv1

Established Member
Thanks, I might have to use the Steeda one. I think it is all they have. I will call Monday and check. It will buy me some play-time anyway either way. Car has been a total shop queen of late.

After this, the snap crackle pop rear end has to go.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have been very successful in having parts repaired under warranty. Especially things that have to do with the tranny and rear end. Ford is obviously aware of problems with these cars. On top of tht what you need to do is make friends with your service guy. Just start tlking to them like their your friend and eventually they will take care of you as if you were their friend. last but not least after having the repair done under warranty slip your service guy 40-50 bucks for their hard work and they will be waiting to help you next time something breaks. Hope that helps. Black03

SC457A

Established Member
everyone else has addressed the tranny stuff...

brakes are a strange area for warranty coverage. as you know it is a wear item which ford hates to warranty. some brake noise is normal. some dealers are pretty cool about trying to fix brake noise after 12k miles. i have seen brakes warrantied at 30k miles though (i did the job)

i guess it really depends on the severity(sp?) of the noise and your dealer.

im so glad they dont use focus brake parts on the cobra... those cars have some noisy brakes

IXSLR8

Established Member
same problem here

i've got the same problem or at least i think. It occurs more when the car is warm, comes and goes. stops when you pump the clutch. It's a high pitched metallic sounding squeal. somewhat similar to a fan belt slipping. Is this my tob? I took it into the dealer once already at first the salesman (not the mechanic) said oh i can't hear it. Then it started and he said oh i now i can. So i thought cool they'll fix then he calls me the next morning to say they counldn't reproduce it!! What a crock he heard it himself!! Any recommendations on how to go about gettin it fixed?? oh yeah by the way i asked about a rental car and he asked if i had insurance that would cover it, i said yes but through svt i'm supposed to get a free rental for warranty work, he was like oh yeah you're right, i don't deal with svt that much. Then the next sentence is you also get a free wash with it, would you like that? Now tell me how would he know about the free wash and not the rental car? Guess it's always good to know your rights before you get into any situation!

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I have to be in agreeance here, Ford TOB really suck. I'm on my 3rd clutch and 2nd set of Ford TOB. For my 2nd clutch, I got something quick, not long-living, and aftermarket TOB's. I'm not sure of which brand they were right off, but those never had the squeaking noise that the previous clutch had, and now that my new Ford clutch has. If there is any choice, get aftermarket TOB's. Btw, the replacement wasn't too long ago, so unless they new #'s have just come out, the new TOB's sqeak too.

Users who are viewing this thread