Throw out bearing is shot...

1997stang

Established Member
Hey guys my throw out bearing went in my 2001 cobra. I just put a centerforce clutch in last year along with a new pilot bearing a throw out bearing. Their is terrible squeaking noise and clatter coming from around the transmission now and i need this fixed asap. Which throw out bearing would you guys recommend? I need a good heavy duty one that will not give out in a year again! Which ones have you guys used and liked and would suggest?

Thanks!
Mike

divided

Established Member
Ford OEM gets my vote. If your eatin them something is wrong (I went through 5 in 2 1/2 years) Turned out to either my clutch (same as yours) or my shift fork. But I replaced it all at the same time so who knows.

1997stang

Established Member
Ahhh i really hope its not my clutch. I just put the thing in. How much did a shift fork run you?

divided

Established Member
Not sure but it wasnt expensive. Lethal sells them.

It may or may not have been my DFX. I've since given it to Suaveflooder and its been fine in his pullied, now ported, cobra. He seems to think it was the fork. Its hard to say for sure since I did them both at the same time. I was tired of dropping the transmission.

*edit*

$21.99 here http://www.lethalperformance.com/99...ford-racing-96-04-mustang-clutch-fork-p-29770

Last edited:

1997stang

Established Member
Ya i understand. Thanks alot for the info! I think i might just try the fork and new bearings for now and see how that works!

Mike

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Just FYI, it's usually not the clutch fork. Cable stretch is another culprit that may or may not be it but usually isnt an issue. 99's and 01's are natorious for eating throw out bearings. Before spending money on firewall adjusters, clutch cables and forks, consider adjusting the clutch so that the bearing isnt always riding against the clutch.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Had the same issue on clutch changes in the 5.0, a lot of kits come with a cheap plastic or plastic/metal TOB and they suck. Timken makes a great all-metal piece and they prolly make one for the 99/01 as well, just need to go to a parts store, might need to order it tho.

Be sure to replace the pilot bearing while you're in there, might as well.

Goldy

Established Member
Same problem here. I replaced the stock clutch/tob/pilot bearing w/ Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and press. plate (w/ the weights), Ford pilot bearing (definitely get the slide hammer to remove the old pilot baring...well worth the $$). The clutch/throw out baring have worked flawlessly since...not a hint of the squeek.

Good luck with what you chose, but I would probably go w/ the Centerforce Throwout Bearing.

(incase you're wondering, I don't know how to spell bearing/baring)

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
You can also get a slide hammer for the pilot bearing for free from autozone, you just have to pay a deposit but you do get the money back (or put back on your CC) when you bring the tool back, so you don't have the spend the money for the tool.

zPipes

Established Member
I also have had the same issue. When my clutch cable broke I installed an adjustible cable so that I could shut that squeaking up. I now see what they are talking about with the cable stretching its been three months and i just had to lift up the car and adjust it again. I still havent gotten a FWA yet. Stock cables from now on..

I have been having a problem with my clutch slipping and what not and its annoying the living piss out of me. It started happening a few months ago when I just so decided to impress this chick, was in gear so I used the drunk part of my brain to decide it was a good idea to press the clutch in and let that engine rip while i was rolling into the driveway. Slick move hoss.

Anyhow I bring that up because since I have adjusted my cable.. I'm quite happy with the lack of squeaking, the slipping is considerably worse. I think I might have adjusted it a hair too much.. but I'm not quite sure.

Wow, I think I just hijacked your thread man. Sorry about that. Back to OP.. I also use the CF dual friction, but I still have the stock flywheel that I had cut when I put the new clutch in..(keeps getting better for yall doesn't it? Do I get paid for this dog and pony show?) and I've always been told to stick with the stock TOB and Pilot.

Users who are viewing this thread