Throw out bearing

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
me and a buddy of mine are planning on replaceing the throwout bearing on the 96 cobra tomarrow. Are their any things that i should look for when i do this change out? Any problems that i might run into or things that i should replace while the trans is dropped?

I also plan on going back to the stock clutch because the one i had installed about 3 months ago dosent proform as well as i had intended

opinion/info welcomed...good or bad

:beer:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Just did this last week on an 03 cobra. It is very straight forward. Take your time and you will be fine. Jack the tranny up from the middle so you can tilt it....you'll see why when you put it back in. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
Just did this last week on an 03 cobra. It is very straight forward. Take your time and you will be fine. Jack the tranny up from the middle so you can tilt it....you'll see why when you put it back in. Other than that, it's not too bad.

im dropping the whole tranny from the car so i can replace the clutch

about how much does the stock trans weigh?

i would absolutly love to swap out my trans for the 6 speed(T56 i believe?)...but im layed off and have low money funds for the car:nonono:

Last edited:

uofipilot

Established Member
I'd say that's about how heavy it felt when it dropped onto my chest and dumped fluid all over my neck. I smelled like shit for 2 days after that. :rockon:

Ouch.

I don't remember it being THAT heavy, but it sure as hell wasn't light. I guess that sounds about right.

As far as the install, I think you're the guy that was talking about your new exhaust not too long ago. I'd say the header to midpipe bolts will be a bitch if they've never been out, but that shouldn't be a problem. Also, make sure you have the correct alignment tool. We tried it with a universal tool and a had a heck of a time getting the damn thing back in.

And I would not recommend putting a used clutch back in there. Go and get yourself a King Cobra clutch kit from american muscle. I think it might even come with a FRPP TOB. It's not that expensive, is better than stock, and will save you from doing all this again soon.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Stock tranny is about 110-120 lbs. when filled

Do they really weigh that much? The T56 felt like it was about 75-80lbs at most. The biggest issue we had was that the damn thing wanted to go where it felt like and not where we were trying to get it to. HAHA

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
well it was a pain the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

started out unbolting it all ran into our first problem

the lift we were using was a center post lift and was a bitch to work around

the exhaust was wedged inbetween the lift and the underbody of the car so we had to lower it and move the car forward to get the H pipe out

after that we had a hell of a time getting the top two bolts on the trans

then after spilling 2 quarts of trans fluid in us we lowered it down(while the car was in the air) and found out the first problem with the throwout

it was in 3 PIECES!!!

the cheapo autozone bearing had abotu 4k miles on it and completely failed!

then i installed the new one and reveresed the process and was in and out in about 5 hours

Taylors_Cobra

Established Member
i hope you put in one from ford.

yea...got it from a ford dealer in the next town from me..as for the stock clucth...i kept the aftermarket one in it because it has less miles and ill look at getting a different one later

heres a better picture
cobra7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread