Throwin rich codes and smells like rotten eggs...

LuckyDSquared

Established Member
So I’ve replaced plugs, wires, and coil packs with motor crafts. New front o2 sensors. New IAC valve. Verified voltage on throttle position and MAF sensors. I’ve pulled injectors (cheap eBay special 24lb injectors) and checked resistance among all them. I’m at a loss...

Throwing P0352, P0172 and P0175 codes. Only mod to car is a hi-flow cat x-pipe. Car was most likely supercharged before I bought it based on coolant crossover. I replaced with all stock parts and replace IMRC delete with working plates.

any tips on where to go now? Car has to be running pig rich. About 140 miles to 3/4 of a tank and exhaust smells of rotten apples. Car seems to run fine except an occasional hesitation on normal low RPM acceleration.

jgt58

Established Member
Can I ask what brand 02 sensors and the brand of other stuff you put on? It makes a difference

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jgt58

Established Member
Also do you have a tune? Be side you may still be running someone else's tune

jgt58

Established Member
Sorry for questions but Is the maf stock? I understand that the voltage checks out ok but that doesn't mean you have a properly functioning maf..... Bad mafs usually don't send codes

LuckyDSquared

Established Member
Can I ask what brand 02 sensors and the brand of other stuff you put on? It makes a difference

I used all Motorcraft parts.

the MAF is stock but I’m gonna try cleaning it today to see if that helps.

lastly, the car does not have a tune. I bought a SCT X4 and verifies it’s all back to stock. The car DID have a chip in it when I bought it but that was removed. That’s also how I found out it had the IMRC deletes.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
P0352 is an ignition failure code .
Find the cause , check the wiring , you may get rid of the other 2 codes alsos .

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I saw that. Just wondering why you think it is. I’m not saying it isn’t. Just never heard of an exhaust pipe (especially a catted one) making a car run rich.

An offroad midpipe (no cats) will certainly get you running rich. The high flow cats that come in midpipes these days are pretty much no good, they don't last long. Your catted pipe is most likely not functioning the way it was intended.
If your IMRCs were stuck open you'd know it. Not to mention the IMRCs sticking open is a rare occurrence. They usually are stuck in the closed position.

MG0h3

Established Member
Cats may very well be plugged.

We usually run a vacuum test but 99% a test drive is all it takes.

Go high load (lowish RPM WOT) if you sense a bog accompanied with more than normal intake noise, prob an exhaust restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
And it can def cause a rich condition. If you can’t get exhaust out, you can’t get air in.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread